Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to run my '68 at the drags tonight and want to know what you guys that have 555R's run your tire pressure at?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I dont mean to hijack this thread already but are nitto tires still the favored tire even for street drivers? I have been considering the nitto 555 in a 275/35ZR20 only because I remember that was the popular rubber in the LS1 forums. I want something that will grip, look good, and wear slowly (so im looking for the perfect tire)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am going to run my '68 at the drags tonight and want to know what you guys that have 555R's run your tire pressure at?
Nitto 555R's are what I run on the back of my 02 Z28 at the track. I usually run 12-15psi in mine but it really depends more on the track conditions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont mean to hijack this thread already but are nitto tires still the favored tire even for street drivers? I have been considering the nitto 555 in a 275/35ZR20 only because I remember that was the popular rubber in the LS1 forums. I want something that will grip, look good, and wear slowly (so im looking for the perfect tire)
perfect tire? Good luck. Sticky tires wear fast and harder compound tires don't hook as good til you've burned about 5K miles off them during the burnout.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started at 28 which is what I run on the street and it actually seemed to hook up pretty good. Then I went to 24 and it broke loose a little so I went to 18 thinking ok they are going to be soft and should hook great but, on that pass, I broke them totally loose so I'm baffled. I wasn't running much fuel at all... probably only 4 gallons on the first pass and then down from there plus I might have been stalling up a little more each time but not by much. I probably stalled at about 2000 on the last past. One thing I noticed was during my burnout the tires wouldn't produce smoke hardly at all. Are you supposed to heat these tires up or not? I just couldn't believe how bad I broke them loose when they were at 18. I wanted to keep dropping them until the rearend started feeling loose on the big end and then add just enough to take that away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts