Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

"Our sources tell us GM's viability plan set to be released at 5:00PM will kill the Saturn brand by 2011. Pontiac will also go away as a division. But the nameplate will sorta live on. So basically, what we've heard is the brand meant to compete against the foreign brands is dead — Saturn goes away in 2011. There will be no new products for Saturn and Saturn dealers are getting a video from Mark LeNeve at 5:00 PM to inform them. We're thinking Mark should cut a check to send with it. As far as Pontiac, it goes away as a division. The nameplate will live on on some vehicles — but we've got no idea what "niche products" they're talking about. More coming shortly."

It's really sad, because Saturn was one of my favorite brands. Saturn had a bunch of reliable stylish vehicles, and now look... The company that had high hopes in the 90's is dead within a decade. :(

Pontiac. eh..... They're getting on my nerve.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
In the US we only need 2 brands from GM really: Chevrolet and Cadillac. Yeah...Buick sells great in China, but I'm talking US only here. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Take the best of the classes from all of the brands and make them Chevrolet's. All trucks would be Chevrolet's. Cadillac would be the luxury brand. Why on earth do they need more than that in the US? I just don't get it.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
In the US we only need 2 brands from GM really: Chevrolet and Cadillac. Yeah...Buick sells great in China, but I'm talking US only here. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Take the best of the classes from all of the brands and make them Chevrolet's. All trucks would be Chevrolet's. Cadillac would be the luxury brand. Why on earth do they need more than that in the US? I just don't get it.
I agree. Just like Ford only needs Ford and Lincoln. The only company that could actually sustain a third brand is Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I agree. Just like Ford only needs Ford and Lincoln. The only company that could actually sustain a third brand is Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep.
Well Chrysler really needs to work on brand differentiation. Chrysler should be the Cadillac of that lineup, but does anyone actually see it that way? I don't. The 300C is a nice car, but it's not as elite as a CTS IMO.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
My thoughts lately have been why have divisions at all, just have GM. They can always put a bowtie or an arrow where they want it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree for the most part, but I actually do like the idea of pontiac as a niche brand, that alone could keep the G8 alive and bring back the GTO. Also, for some reason not understood by me GMC has to stay alive, it keeps making money.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I agree for the most part, but I actually do like the idea of pontiac as a niche brand, that alone could keep the G8 alive and bring back the GTO. Also, for some reason not understood by me GMC has to stay alive, it keeps making money.
The G8 could EASILY replace the new Impala. Actually, I would be willing to wager that if the G8 were rebadged as an Impala it would sell more units than it does as a G8. Just a theory, but a just one IMO. If you're looking for a full sized car, and you don't follow cars as a hobby or passion, you're scrolling through the list of current full sized 4 doors and you see "G8" you're probably going to glance right over it, but you're going to check out an "Impala" since your dad or someone you knew had one in HS...Know what I mean?

·
Registered
897 Posts
My thoughts lately have been why have divisions at all, just have GM. They can always put a bowtie or an arrow where they want it.
That really doesn't make any sense though because you'd still have a watered down production line, unless you mean getting rid of the redundancy as well, then I could understand where you're coming.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The G8 could EASILY replace the new Impala. Actually, I would be willing to wager that if the G8 were rebadged as an Impala it would sell more units than it does as a G8.
I don't know its hard for me to give up the history of Pontiac that easily, plus what difference does it make if it were to have a Pontiac logo and be sold with Chevy's.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
With the current Malibu, the Impala is its current form is redundant. A G8-Impala would inject some excitement to the Chevy dealers with the arrival of the Camaro. What a one-two punch that would be!

As for Chrysler - it's more along the lines of Lincoln. They are in need of a bit more high end product, but they are still well behind Cadillac. That is also reflected in the price. Chrysler competes more with Mercury and Buick.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I don't know its hard for me to give up the history of Pontiac that easily, plus what difference does it make if it were to have a Pontiac logo and be sold with Chevy's.
It's about sales numbers right now. Who cares what it's badged as, if it'll sell more units under brand X. It was a huge mistake to make that car a Pontiac in the first place. History or not, Pontiac has been a dead brand for 5+ years.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, but Buicks could be finally getting their sexy back, and the new LaCrosse is the first recent Buick I have ever wanted, and a lot of people I have talked to want it, too- a very good thing. Pontiac is basically diluted with blatant cheap rebadges, save for the Solstice and G8- which are sure to die soon. So I say fix it or nix it. GMC is a highly recognized nameplate and it rakes in some serious cash, so they shouldn't mess with a great thing. Saab had potential, but now I don't care where they go, really.

Chevy and Caddy are fine as is, but I agree about the G8 as an Impala, and Maybe the Solstice could be refined and sold as a Buick since it already has curves.

Just my 2¢

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I agree, but Buicks could be finally getting their sexy back, and the new LaCrosse is the first recent Buick I have ever wanted, and a lot of people I have talked to want it, too- a very good thing. Pontiac is basically diluted with blatant cheap rebadges, save for the Solstice and G8- which are sure to die soon. So I say fix it or nix it. GMC is a highly recognized nameplate and it rakes in some serious cash, so they shouldn't mess with a great thing. Saab had potential, but now I don't care where they go, really.

Chevy and Caddy are fine as is.

Just my 2¢
While I agree, that for the first time Buick has a car coming out that I would want to check out, but I think that GM needs to simplify. The fact is, that 80% of Americans aren't automotive enthusiasts. For that reason, they'll never even GLANCE at a Buick unless they're 60.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
GMC serves a purpose only due to its Denali line. On the other end of the spectrum, their commercial trucks are not needed - that's why there are Chevrolet's.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
GMC serves a purpose only due to its Denali line. On the other end of the spectrum, their commercial trucks are not needed - that's why there are Chevrolet's.
I really could go either way on the GMC brand, but my thing is, if GMC becomes THE truck brand, there shouldn't be any more Chevy trucks. Of course, I'd rather not give up Chevy trucks, so I'd let GMC die...Of course, another thought is GMC could become a commercial only brand.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's about sales numbers right now. Who cares what it's badged as, if it'll sell more units under brand X. It was a huge mistake to make that car a Pontiac in the first place. History or not, Pontiac has been a dead brand for 5+ years.
See, now you're starting to talk like those other car companies that don't care about tradition, that's a big part of the reason we are all followers, is the tradition of the brand, that's why we stuck by when others bailed during the 70-90's. I understand that its all about the bottom dollar, but a compromise has to be made to keep some of that tradition around otherwise GM is no better than Toyota or other companies that we mock. What if they weren't calling the new Camaro a "Camaro", how many of you would still be on here? What if Toyota made a car that looked exactly like the new 5th gen and chevy never did, would you be buying that, or looking for a new GM car?

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
As strange as it sounds, I just can't bring myself to buy a GMC.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I really could go either way on the GMC brand, but my thing is, if GMC becomes the truck brand, there shouldn't be any more Chevy trucks.
For some reason, I just have no appeal to the regular GMC lineup. I would take the equivalent Chevy any day.

I think a Buick/GMC/Pontiac dealer would benefit with having only Denali-trim GMC's and the G8 and Solstice (until both of those Ponchos die). You could ditch the Acadia since the the Enclave is much nicer (IMO). Keep the new LaCrosse and rebadge the Cruze as a TSX-fighting Buick. With the a Buick-Cruze variant, those dealers could stop whining about not having an entry-level compact car.

You don't see Lexus or Infiniti dealers clamoring for Corolla or Sentra versions, so why does Buick need the same?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts