Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They are going to put a small piece of steel behind the pedal to solve the issue.:confused:

Wouldn't that plate make the pedal assembly more prone to breaking off due to fatigue?

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-toyota-is-fixing-2-million-stuck-pedals-2010-2

*EDIT*

Heres what an ME had to say about this fix (from another post in this forum by the newsbot):

This is a mechanical problem. I am a mechanical engineer and years ago I worked for a company that designed and manufactured electrical contacts for the automotive industry. The company specialized in miniature contacts for air bags. These contacts were made of gold, platinum and palladium. These metals were used because they had the best electrical conductivity and the best wear characteristics. I have seen a sketch of the Toyota design, upon depressing the gas pedal a set of teeth engage another set of teeth to complete a circuit. What is probably happening is inadequate materials were used, the teeth wear irregularly and then the teeth lock up causing the accelerator to remain on. The shim will prevent the teeth from interlocking but still allow contact. A band aid on a very bad design.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
in other words, it's a PATCH.

Aren't you proud to know that IF your GM cars accelerator sticks, when you hit the brakes, it overrides the accelerator? Now THAT'S a fix!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
The best way to not have this problem is don't buy Toyota :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
yup. you can always put it in neutral and shut the engine off if it starts over revving... but it should still be fixed correctly as most goofballs behind the wheel probably don't know to do that. also, it wouldn't help you say if you pulled out into traffic and had to kill it... you'd prolly get t-boned

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
if i was on the freeway and neutral/shutting it off didn't work, i'd just rub against the center divider till it slowed me down

better than dying but i don't drive a toyota, so i think i'll be fine ;)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts