Modern Camaro Forums banner

Oh No .. I am now thinking twice about the SS

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Marvelous 
#1 ·
So, since I have decided that my next vehicle will be a Camaro, I also told myself that no matter what, if something happens that the new Camaro isn't my next car ... a V8 for sure would definitely be under the hood of whatever it is.

Now, because of Chevy's Camaro site, I am thinking twice.

My fathers cousin has a ~1970 Camaro with about 30,000 miles on it, he drove it off the lot back in the early 70's brand new and has had it since. My whole life I have loved Camaro's, mainly the 67-69 Camaro and figured this would be the car I will use as a weekend enjoyment ride and keep it for all the years down the road when I am old and my future kids can enjoy it as well. (Such a wonderful story ;) )

But now I got to thinking about the V6, possibly even the "LS". Considering there are supercharges out for my pathetic 2.7L Hyundai that are pushing out 500whp, I can only suspect the V6 will have a lot of aftermarket support, and I do love the sound of a nice supercharger.

I am trying to think logical, I plan on getting the car in 2 years, possibly slightly sooner, possibly slightly later. In about 1.5 years I will have an Associates Degree in CIS (Networking) and moving on to my Bachelors so I am doubting I will want to spend $34,000+ on a new car (Unless I can find a used one with the bells and whistles that I want).

Now I know there are a lot of older guys, middle aged guys and fellows in their mid-late 20's so I am wondering if you were in this situation, what would you do?

A bit about what I like about the Camaro:
Overall, the design. I don't need Bluetooth, Ambient Lighting or any of that stuff. Although the RS Package does intrigue me, I think I would be just as happy without it. I would definitely like to get the ground effects package, but possibly down the road after owning the car. I like the front SS bumper, but I could always change that out as well (A lot of people do that with my car; the 03-04 blah bumpers they swap for the more stylish 05-06 bumpers). Then with the engine, I would be happy with 400whp, finish probably around 500whp. I was thinking Blower if I went V6, and if I went V8, just the bolt ons, cams...etc

I am more about aftermarket than anything else...wheels, performance..you name it, I would go aftermarket.

So Pricing... I did a few mock ups on Chevy's site and this is what I came up with.. (Image along with the Trim is probably what I would look to get; I am torn between Orange and Black)

LS Package: $23,505 MSRP

1LT Package: $26,890 MSRP

1SS Package: $34,970 MSRP

Now I am done ranting, but I have made a few mistakes in my life, blew money when after the fact I knew I shouldn't so I am trying to find out what the older guys would do if they were in the situation. By the time I buy, I will be about 22 years old (20 at the moment) so I am just wondering if you would go cheaper and enjoy the extra money modding rather intensely, or buy the more expensive and drive it around stock with small mods.

Regards,
Kyle

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, that may be my downfall. I don't know if I would let myself live with an "American Muscle Car" with a V6 engine. >_<

#5 ·
Yeah I am wondering what you'd do in my situation? Love for the Camaro's, but still at the age where I am not sure if I should drop $30+k or stick with the V6 and mod the piss out of it :D

I suppose once I get to that point, I will have a better idea regarding if I have a job set towards a solid career path, how much I am making...etc but advice would always be a good thing. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
The best bang for the buck out there is the V6. At 304 HP, that's more than some of the old Vettes and V-8 Z28 F-cars! Its the same motor as in the CTS- darn nice engine, lots of mods available. You can get your V6 to look just as good as an SS plus at your age, lower insurance. Mileage may not seem important but as a daily driver, it will.

#7 ·
The V-6 is pretty impressive but I have to go with the SS. Just want the sound and extra power. I had a couple of 300HP cars, I am ready to see what 400+ is all about.

#11 ·
Sorry, but I'm one the older guys, and in my school, it ain't a "muscle" car if it doesn't have the wompin V8! I know that 4 and 6 bangers can put out some serious hp with good mods. But this is an American Muscle car, start with the hefty V8, then by the time you're ready, you can tack on as much HP as you want in mods.

#13 ·
GP, if I were in your shoes, and at your age, I would still go with the V-8. Even with the sound of the Supercharger whining, a V-6 just doesn't have the same feel, or sound that a V-8 has. After a bit of time, you would be wishing for the V-8. I've had them all at one point or another, from one manufacturer or another. NOTHING beats the sound, power, torque, or feel of a V-8 when choosing between the 6 or the 8.

#15 ·
well... mmm depends on what you are looking for...
if the mileage doesnt bother i would go for the ss
but also depends on your budget, if you think you have money
for a +30K car and able to pay all your bills and any other type of
things you have to pay well then i guess go for it
if not dont, any way the camaro is a great car, even on a v6 :)

#18 ·
Take a hard look at any year SS, take a look at the same year sport coupe, listen to any SS from the 396 to the LS1, listen to any lesser engine of the same year. price the SS's, price the six bangers on the used car market and you will find that paying the price up front is a better deal. How many $$ will it take you to make the six equal to the V8? Get the V8 and when you can, spend the same amount on it and see the difference,

#19 ·
I would have no problem getting a V6 if I was going to drive it daily and during the winter. For the price and the mpg it's a great deal (300hp aint too bad either).

#22 ·
i love my V8's too, but there's no denying the V6 is a really great bang for the buck... with cheaper insurance... and cheaper on gas. my first Camaro was a V6. i think they are great as entry-level cars. me, personally, i'd rather have a V6 Camaro than no Camaro at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.