Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a bone stock (for now) 2010 2-SS, i keep hearing about guys putting in these oil catch cans on there camaro's. my question is, is how important is this on a car that will soon be getting a new intake and exhaust. is this an option for guys running hopped up engines or is this a problem for guys like myself?

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Here we go again!

Search is your friend.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
No way of really knowing unless you have a transparent engine and can see what's going on inside.
MOST of the time, it is probably not necessary.
SOMETIMES, things aren't put together right and it is vitally important.
It's a cheap method of preventative maintenance for those 'SOMETIMES' cases.
You can install one and if you are only catching a small amount of oil in a few thousand miles, no harm no foul, and you can always take it off and sell it.
BUT, if you are a 'SOMETIMES', like me, catching 3-4oz of oil every 500 miles, you'll be glad you did and be thankful that you are not recirculating all that oil to be burned and carbonized in your combustion chambers.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If it was THAT important GM and all the other car co. would install them from the factory. The guys who sell them will tell you differently

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If it was THAT important GM and all the other car co. would install them from the factory. The guys who sell them will tell you differently
:rolleyes: It is just easier & cheaper to have the PCV system route the crap back into the engine and be done with it. THAT is why they are not installed OEM. Just one more thing for the owners to maintain and we all know how well most do that.

Just look inside your intake and you will change your mind... Not the throttle body, the actual manifold. It doesn't take a lot of oil to mess things up with carbon, hotspot coking, pre-ignition etc etc

·
8,984 Posts
Not true; cost drives these decisions more than importance.

:rolleyes: It is just easier & cheaper to have the PCV system route the crap back into the engine and be done with it. THAT is why they are not installed OEM. Just one more thing for the owners to maintain and we all know how well most do that.

Just look inside your intake and you will change your mind... Not the throttle body, the actual manifold. It doesn't take a lot of oil to mess things up with carbon, hotspot coking, pre-ignition etc etc
This.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I use seafoam every 15,000 miles. I've had a catch can on my WS6. Complete waste of time and money.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Tell me the gain from it? Show me how your car runs better with it? Tell me that
Seafoam intake cleaner doesn't do the same job. Show me how the oil doesn't creep up the side of the can and back into the intake. I'm telling you that it's such a small amount it makes little to no difference. Take off your intake and show me how clean it is. Then I'll run a 6.00 can of cleaner and I'll show you my intake afterwards. I'm telling you that it's more hype than anything else.

I've always said to each is own and people are free to do whatever they want. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him mine. It's okay to disagree with me, I'm just telling you my experience with the RevX can I bought years ago.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Tell me the gain from it? Show me how your car runs better with it? Tell me that
Seafoam intake cleaner doesn't do the same job. Show me how the oil doesn't creep up the side of the can and back into the intake. I'm telling you that it's such a small amount it makes little to no difference. Take off your intake and show me how clean it is. Then I'll run a 6.00 can of cleaner and I'll show you my intake afterwards. I'm telling you that it's more hype than anything else.

I've always said to each is own and people are free to do whatever they want. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him mine. It's okay to disagree with me, I'm just telling you my experience with the RevX can I bought years ago.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Tell me the gain from it? Uh, NO oil in the entire intake tract or combustion chambers to have to clean out Show me how your car runs better with it? You know it does or you wouldn't be using Seafoam (same principle you said right?) Tell me that
Seafoam intake cleaner doesn't do the same job. Never said it didn't Show me how the oil doesn't creep up the side of the can and back into the intake. I'm telling you that it's such a small amount it makes little to no difference. Take off your intake and show me how clean it is. Then I'll run a 6.00 can of cleaner and I'll show you my intake afterwards. I'm telling you that it's more hype than anything else. At least I can take comfort in the fact that I'm not washing all the crap thru into the combustion chambers, past my emissions components into the cats etc

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion and to share it. As am I and the rest of the forum... :D

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I only have a V6 but I still have something to say here...lol. :D

The picture below illustrates why you need a catch can. The oil you see doesn't belong there. Once that oil makes it's way to the sensitive wires of your MAF sensor you will experience a loss in throttle performance. I don't have a lot of performance upgrades (headers, CAI) but I do drive my car aggressively which increases the likelihood of this occurring.

So if you drive your Camaro normally...you probably don't need a catch can...but if you're a more aggressive driver like myself...it might be a good idea.

[URL="
[/URL]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty simple. I can put a catch can on any car and get dribbles of oil. There are thousands more that dont have one of these on modded cars than do. Its all relevant to wheather you want to play follow the leader or not.
:bigparty:

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
These go back to the ls1s. I've watched many buy them for the same claims. I've never had one. The life of the 02 formula, start up idle, hit the burnout box, stage launch 1/4 mile, shut down. Do random inspections to valves, intake etc.. No problems,,, car was a heavy modded street car before,, you decide.

·
3,081 Posts
I dont have one for the simple reason I have never experienced losing any oil. I check it religiously and its always full. Now if you do have oil loss between oil changes, then maybe this is for you. Even after several passes down the drag strip it was still full. For me, it was not worth spending the money. To each there own.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I dont have one for the simple reason I have never experienced losing any oil. I check it religiously and its always full. Now if you do have oil loss between oil changes, then maybe this is for you. Even after several passes down the drag strip it was still full. For me, it was not worth spending the money. To each there own.
You do realize that we're not talking quarts here...we're talking minute amounts of oil that you're never going to notice on your dipstick...but it still doesn't belong in your exhaust system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am also an avid S10/S15 fan, and a common problem for the early 90's Vortec 4.3 port fuel injection system was periodic coking up of the egr valve passage ways in the intake. When dealing with that issue you always checked the "spider" fuel lines that were mounted inside the intake for leaks as well. (they had a tendency to crack inside the intake and fill the crankcase with fuel.)

I recall being astonished how dirty my intake was at the time, not to mention the drivability problems that came with the clogged egr system. From those experiences I can see the logic of doing whatever is possible within reason to minimize oil migration inside the intake.

That said, that was about 20 years ago and it could totally not be an issue with this design, but I think I'll try to minimize the potential for trouble down the road.

TALON

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a catch can on my mostly stock C5 Vette. My neighbor has one on his 2010 Camaro SS. I don't drive very aggressively, my neighbor, a bit more. We've both been consistently amazed at how much oil gets caught by the catch can. It can't be more than a few ounces, but it still seems like a lot.

I'll be putting one on my Camaro before long.

I like that I recycle the trapped oil rather than have it getting burned up and sent into the atmosphere.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts