Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a slight weeping of oil near or around the cooler/oil pan near the filter? No, it's not the filter, it was weeping before I changed the oil. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Randy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently changed my oil at 1900 miles and didn't see any leaks. Since the oil change and now at 2200 miles I can smell the distinct smell of oil burning when stopped at stop lights. I crawled under and inspected everything with a flashlight and could not find anything. Don't know what to do next...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Do a search I posted a thread about this quite some time back warning SS folks of the problem. I had the same with my Corvette. It has been in twice for the oil pan gasket leaking. So far it seems ok but I have been afraid to look. This time they replaced the oil pan and I was told it was a redesign to solve the problem. Nothing worse than smelling burning oil through the vents of your new and expensive car. Good luck

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Do a search I posted a thread about this quite some time back warning SS folks of the problem. I had the same with my Corvette. It has been in twice for the oil pan gasket leaking. So far it seems ok but I have been afraid to look. This time they replaced the oil pan and I was told it was a redesign to solve the problem. Nothing worse than smelling burning oil through the vents of your new and expensive car. Good luck

:pYES...thank god car guy warned us all 6 months ago, so we can all be on the look-out.:p :lol: I HIGHLY doubt it's the same oilpan as the 'vettes.

I'd be more worried about the transmissions and axles that are breaking when using launch control...but hey, that's just me. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was under my car for an hour yesterday with a flashlight and white rag. Could not find anything leaking. Looked on top the engine and went over every bit of the exhaust, still couldn't find anything. Decided to take it for a ride afterward and the smell didn't come back. I'm at a loss...maybe I spilled a little when I did the oil change. I didn't think I did, but who knows:confused:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I was under my car for an hour yesterday with a flashlight and white rag. Could not find anything leaking. Looked on top the engine and went over every bit of the exhaust, still couldn't find anything. Decided to take it for a ride afterward and the smell didn't come back. I'm at a loss...maybe I spilled a little when I did the oil change. I didn't think I did, but who knows:confused:

If the smell went away and it's not leaving any spots when parked, I'd say your OK. Keep an eye on the oil level for a while just to be safe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
:pYES...thank god car guy warned us all 6 months ago, no we can all be on the look-out.:p :lol: I HIGHLY doubt it's the same oilpan as the 'vettes.

I'd be more worried about the transmissions and axles that are breaking when using launch control...but hey, that's just me. :p
You seem to take it awful personal. It is a discussion forum and quality issues are important to some folks. An issue with the engine that will be used is not out of line in discussing the car.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
You seem to take it awful personal. It is a discussion forum and quality issues are important to some folks. An issue with the engine that will be used is not out of line in discussing the car.
:rolleyes:Not taking it personally, but sorry, you were "warning" everyone on March 16 (first day of production) of an oil leak because you had a leaking oil pan in your LS2 corvette. Seemed like a waste of a thread to me...sooooooorrrrrrrrrrrry. YES...it's a good thing to warn people of quality issues...but you should at least wait until there actually ARE quality issues. The first day of production is a little early to tell. :p

:cool:Might as well warn everyone who's gonna buy a C7 'vette that they should watch out for breaking tailshafts...because the Camaro's seem to have that problem.:rolleyes:

I guess we'll just agree to disagree.:p

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
First day of production had nothing to do with it.

OK. for a car to have "issues", wouldn't that said car need to actually be in people's driveways? Yes, the LS3 was already around, but for all you knew at the time EVERYTHING bolted onto the LS3 (mmm, like the oilpan that you say leaks) could have been a completely new design.

·
Registered
231 Posts
OK. for a car to have "issues", wouldn't that said car need to actually be in people's driveways? Yes, the LS3 was already around, but for all you knew at the time EVERYTHING bolted onto the LS3 (mmm, like the oilpan that you say leaks) could have been a completely new design.
Told you before it isn't about the car it is about an already existing engine. Apparently you don't understand as well as you think you do. Get over it already.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Told you before it isn't about the car it is about an already existing engine. Apparently you don't understand as well as you think you do. Get over it already.

apparently you don't read/understand what I'm posting. I'm over it.:p I'm tired of arguing with you on 2 separate threads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone else have a slight weeping of oil near or around the cooler/oil pan near the filter? No, it's not the filter, it was weeping before I changed the oil. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Randy
You mean like this?

Dealer replaced the entire oil cooler a couple weeks ago but it obviously wasn't the problem because this is what I found after a 200 mile road trip today.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is EXACTLY what I was talking about! I have to make time to drop it off at the dealer. I can't stand the thought of my dealer working on it. In the past they haven't exactly been on good terms with me. My leakdoes smell on long trips, but at least it doesn't hit the ground.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You mean like this?

Dealer replaced the entire oil cooler a couple weeks ago but it obviously wasn't the problem because this is what I found after a 200 mile road trip today.

Yikes!! Let us know how this turns out and the resolution. :popcorn:

·
Registered
154 Posts
i hate to toss gas onto the fire but the engine that is in the camaro is a ls3 not a ls2 also on your point :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yikes!! Let us know how this turns out and the resolution. :popcorn:
Took it to the dealer this morning and they kept it. Said they were going to do a dye test to pinpoint where the oil was coming from. He also said there was a tech bulletin out about pourus block castings and if that was the problem, I'd be getting a new engine. Not what I wanted to hear!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts