Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On thing those of you that got an SS will probably have to deal with is oil leaks. It is a bummer to get such a nice car an have to deal with the oil burning smell as you drive but that seems to be a charactaristic of this engine.

My Vette as well as so many others has been pleaqued with that problem. I don't uderstand why GM won't get agressive about fixing this problem. Just trying to give you a heads up. The oil pan gasket is one of the problems. Mine was fixed at 4K miles and needs fixed again. Visit the Corvette forum and do a search and you will seee what I mean.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Does your Vette have a LS2 or LS3?

I knew the LS2s had issues. I wasn't aware of any on the LS3s. I'll have to hang out on the Vette forums more often.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Oil consumption on ls2's? I don't believe that at all:lol:

It's the pcv setup. Bad design. Odd though mine never leaked it nor did I ever smell anything nor see any smoke. Yet my adventures last week attested to it.
Though I honestly can't see y the oil pan gasket would have problems it's a much better design than just about any I have pulled off.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
that sucks...but that's why we have warranties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 06 Trailblazer SS with the LS2 and it had to have the rear main seal replaced twice in the first 30K. It seems to be a common issue with the LS2. Both times it was repaired under warranty. I have 50K now and so far the leak hasn't come back but I'm expecting it to. I never had any issue with burning oil though. I plan on trading it in on a new Camaro SS in the fall or next spring.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's what a guy doesn't want to hear. Oil leaks is one of my obsessions. I hate it. I will have to start sliding a sheet of cardboard under it to make sure I see it if it ever starts. Any news on the L99??

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's what a guy doesn't want to hear. Oil leaks is one of my obsessions. I hate it. I will have to start sliding a sheet of cardboard under it to make sure I see it if it ever starts. Any news on the L99??
I don't know about other peoples cars but on my TBSS it never got to the point of dripping oil on the ground before I found it. I noticed it both times while the truck was on a lift when I was changing the oil. I saw traces of oil on the bell housing. I figured it would happen again so with 200 miles left under warranty I bought an extended warranty. Which was a good thing because 1000 miles later the trans puked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase an 2SS, but if there is even a thought of an oil leak, I will not buy. Is it that common? If GM cannot produce an engine that does not have leaks, then they deserve to go under.
Even my 98 Expedition does not leak and it has 164,000 miles on it.
How can a $40,000 car leak?
H

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase an 2SS, but if there is even a thought of an oil leak, I will not buy. Is it that common? If GM cannot produce an engine that does not have leaks, then they deserve to go under.
Even my 98 Expedition does not leak and it has 164,000 miles on it.
How can a $40,000 car leak?
H

Notice when this thread was started...it was the DAY they began production, so it was not from Camaro experience. I have not heard of any oil leaks in Camaro's. Don't worry, it's a great car...and comes with a great warranty if there are any issues.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Notice when this thread was started...it was the DAY they began production, so it was not from Camaro experience. I have not heard of any oil leaks in Camaro's. Don't worry, it's a great car...and comes with a great warranty if there are any issues.
That's funny...I didn't even look when it was started either and powerfrk is right. You will not have anything to worry about.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
That's funny...I didn't even look when it was started either and powerfrk is right. You will not have anything to worry about.

Yeah, I remember reading the thread when it was started and wondering why the OP brought this up. Warning people that something MIGHT leak on a car that nobody owned yet seemed a little weird...a bit of chicken little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I can say mine has a leak. I have 2200 miles on it an I can smell burnt oil when I stop at stop lights. I don't know who is building these engines but they need to get their sh*t together. I traded an 07 Avalanche LTZ 4X4 (5.3) which started leaking from the rear main. Dealer at the time stated it wasn't assembled correctly and the seal was pinched. My 99 Silverado (first year of new style) with the 5.3 had 130,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never had a leak. It also had the 5.3.

I'll be crawling under the car tomorrow and see what I can find. This is such bullsh*t...:angry:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Well, I can say mine has a leak. I have 2200 miles on it an I can smell burnt oil when I stop at stop lights. I don't know who is building these engines but they need to get their sh*t together. I traded an 07 Avalanche LTZ 4X4 (5.3) which started leaking from the rear main. Dealer at the time stated it wasn't assembled correctly and the seal was pinched. My 99 Silverado (first year of new style) with the 5.3 had 130,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never had a leak. It also had the 5.3.

I'll be crawling under the car tomorrow and see what I can find. This is such bullsh*t...:angry:

sucks...but instead of getting MAD:angry:, bring it to your dealer and have it fixed. I know it's a hassle, but it happens.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I remember reading the thread when it was started and wondering why the OP brought this up. Warning people that something MIGHT leak on a car that nobody owned yet seemed a little weird...a bit of chicken little.
Not at all I am the OP and was trying to let people know as it is THE SAME ENGINE IN THE CORVETTE WHICH HAS THIS PROBLEM! It isn't the car it is the engine. I guess your chicken little remark was a bit premature as I saw a thread a few minutes ago about a Camaro with the problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sucks...but instead of getting MAD:angry:, bring it to your dealer and have it fixed. I know it's a hassle, but it happens.
It happens a lot in the Corvette. I waited 40 yrs to get a Corvette and then have to sit a lights and smell oil burning in my dream car as if it was a some wore out Dodge Omni. I thought a little pre warning might help some folks incase they have the problem.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
It happens a lot in the Corvette. I waited 40 yrs to get a Corvette and then have to sit a lights and smell oil burning in my dream car as if it was a some wore out Dodge Omni. I thought a little pre warning might help some folks incase they have the problem.

gee, thanks for the warning...but WHY? I still think it's a little "chicken-little-ish", you started this thread before the cars were even being built. It's not like the motor is blowing head-gaskets or anything major. You have an oil leak (ok, it's a hassle) go to your dealer and have it fixed. :confused:

I guess your chicken little remark was a bit premature as I saw a thread a few minutes ago about a Camaro with the problem.
OMG...someone has a leak:eek:...You could warn buyers of ANY car that there may be a problem with an oil-leak...and you know what...sooner or later, someone will have an oil leak.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You must work for Gm. I have noticed you get offended if anyone says anything to point out faults with GM. Don't take it out on me it isn't my fault. Maybe if GM fixed their problems people wouldn't discuss them. The oil leak has gone on for years now with the Corvette same as the steering shaft clunking like crazy in my Chevy truck. My truck is an 01 and I know folks that own 03,04,05 and have the same problem. Point is when they have a quality issue that goes on for years without being corrected people will talk about it. Direct your anger at GM they are responsible not me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts