Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought all Royal Purple fluid today, 5w30 and took it to a local shop to have it done. I checked the level when I got home (because if someone else does it, I always do), and the oil on the stick didn't look fresh to me...It's not super black, but it's not purple either. I drove it all of three miles home. Am I just paranoid?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
By chance do you have more to compare with? But the only way to be sure is drain the oil and check. Not sure what Royal Purple oil looks like out of the bottle. I know that Mobil1 Synthetic 5w-30 oil is lite brown in color. Let us know what you find.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RP out of the bottle is on top. The smaller dot below is what I shook onto the paper with the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The RP out of the bottle is on top. The smaller dot below is what I shook onto the paper with the dipstick.
ahh. I see that now. Yes, does not look the same. Run for 20 miles and recheck. If still the same, I would follow up with the shop. But in the past when I have changed oil. The oil color changes right a way. Best of luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i run RP in my diesel and it is always a deep purple color--looks like regular oil to me---i own a repair shop and have never seen RP look like that:confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Residual oil mix is my guess. Not a good drain in the first place. But that's JMO.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
theres obviously some oil in the pan still and on the dipstick. it all doesnt come out. why didnt you just change the oil yourself?

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theres obviously some oil in the pan still and on the dipstick. it all doesnt come out. why didnt you just change the oil yourself?
I usually do, but I'm busy all weekend and it's f'n hot out there. August is the worst month of the year here for temps here. I wish I'd just sucked it up and spent my evening doing it now...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Best thing to do is watch them do it.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From Royal Purple:

Good morning Devryn,

Royal Purple is going to start cleaning up inside your engine as soon as it is started, even before the car is put into gear and driven around to the customer pickup area. The base oils we use have a very high nature detergency effect. Combine that effect with the fact that most commercial shops are very concerned with getting the oil change done and the customer back on the road quickly and unfortunately what you end up with is a somewhat abbreviated and perhaps not an optimal drain. Those things can and often do result in customers getting home after a relatively short drive with an oil that looks more dirty than purple. The dirty look can overwhelm the purple dye in a fairly short period of run time.

Even though that photo is not at a very high resolution, the dirty spot does look like a fairly new oil. If it had not been changed I am reasonably sure it would be much darker. If this is your first Royal Purple oil change it is going to get even darker fairly fast in the next few days. Because of this exact cleaning action, we recommend doing two normal oil and filter change intervals before using the extended drain intervals that are possible with our oil.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey

Technical Services

Royal Purple, Inc.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
They may have not drained it completely and what you are getting is a little of the old oil.

or perhaps you are getting oil off the inside of the dipstick.

You really didnt drive it enough to mix everything together im guessing since you went home and then checked it.

drive it a few days and then let it sit overnight. I know a few hours or 45 minutes is all you need but I like checking my oil on a cold block knowing its all in the pan.

No matter what after you drive it a few times it should all be a VERY DARK purple almost Dark blue.
after about 5K royal purple will be a dark black. Keep in mind if im not mistaking Royal purple
claims to clean your inside of the engine so you may be just getting older small bits of oil
thats flowing around in your system. It is possible you had some old oil in the block when you
drained it and added the new stuff.

My uncle runs it in a race car so I am used to it.

Drive the car and keep an eye on it im sure everything will be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts