Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking in the trunk of my new 2SS/1LE and there was this white rectangular box in there. I look at the shipping labels and its from IET in Auburn Hills, Michigan and was sent to GM Oshawa Plant. I pop it open and there is what looks like a master cylinder reservoir made of plastic, a tube that could only be a PCV line, and directions that say right up top "Camaro Oil Seperator".

Is this something that should have been installed by the dealer? Is this a new feature for 2013? Or is this a 1LE feature? I've been outta the loop for awhile, but I haven't heard of GM putting oil separators on the 6.2...

·
Registered
383 Posts
So I was looking in the trunk of my new 2SS/1LE and there was this white rectangular box in there. I look at the shipping labels and its from IET in Auburn Hills, Michigan and was sent to GM Oshawa Plant. I pop it open and there is what looks like a master cylinder reservoir made of plastic, a tube that could only be a PCV line, and directions that say right up top "Camaro Oil Seperator".

Is this something that should have been installed by the dealer? Is this a new feature for 2013? Or is this a 1LE feature? I've been outta the loop for awhile, but I haven't heard of GM putting oil separators on the 6.2...
Hello coyotekiller,

This is an interesting situation! Have you contacted your dealer about this yet? If you would like, I could contact them on your behave to inquire about this for you. I would need you name and VIN number and your dealerships information to do so. You can simply private message me that information.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is a 1lE thing, it keeps the "clean" side of the PVC system from ingesting oil durin g rough use. Small as the catch.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello coyotekiller,

This is an interesting situation! Have you contacted your dealer about this yet? If you would like, I could contact them on your behave to inquire about this for you. I would need you name and VIN number and your dealerships information to do so. You can simply private message me that information.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
That's alright. I can call them up. I still have the number.
This is a 1lE thing, it keeps the "clean" side of the PVC system from ingesting oil durin g rough use. Small as the catch.
What you mean?

And so this is a 1LE thing? Do they sell these for use on the regular 6.2 camaros?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What you mean?
And so this is a 1LE thing? Do they sell these for use on the regular 6.2 camaros?
Yes it will work on the other 6.2 engines, they chose to offer it as a "track" accessory for the 1LE due to its increased cornering abilities via the better sway bars and tires/wheels. This can cause more windage in the crankcase and oil vapor which would then be ingested into the intake tract and on into the engine... It is the same thing as a catch can. I have the RX catch can which does the same job.

It is listed as for use off road/track not on road. They specifically state to restore the OE PCV system when operating the vehicle on road, it's an emissions thing. GM PN = 12653073

PS Don't tell CyCam1! He thinks everything that does oil vapor catching is snake oil!! :rolleyes: But hey, he has 31 years with GM so maybe just maybe he will see the light now that GM officially offers a part to do what the aftermarket has done forever....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes it will work on the other 6.2 engines, they chose to offer it as a "track" accessory for the 1LE due to its increased cornering abilities via the better sway bars and tires/wheels. This can cause more windage in the crankcase and oil vapor which would then be ingested into the intake tract and on into the engine... It is the same thing as a catch can. I have the RX catch can which does the same job.

It is listed as for use off road/track not on road. They specifically state to restore the OE PCV system when operating the vehicle on road, it's an emissions thing. GM PN = 12653073

PS Don't tell CyCam1! He thinks everything that does oil vapor catching is snake oil!! :rolleyes: But hey, he has 31 years with GM so maybe just maybe he will see the light now that GM officially offers a part to do what the aftermarket has done forever....
It's funny they offer it on a V8 engine for TRACK use but want you to use the PCV for regular STREET use. Also they do NOT offer it for the V6 DI engine that you say has to have it. Enough said!!!!!!!!! :screwy:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's funny they offer it on a V8 engine for TRACK use but want you to use the PCV for regular STREET use. Also they do NOT offer it for the V6 DI engine that you say has to have it. Enough said!!!!!!!!! :screwy:
That's because nobody cares about the V6 when you talk about performance cars.

And btw, the instructions also say not to use it in weather below 32 degrees F. Not sure why, but it says it. Either way, I installed mine and am gonna run around with it on. When they do the oil change at the dealership, I'll just have to tell them how to pop it off I guess.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The point was that some people claim catch cans are the great savior of the DI (direct injection) engine. If it were so, GM would include them on all of these DI engines. They only include them for TRACK cars because obviously it looks like they actually may harm cars that are driven on the street or at least offer NO benefit what-so-ever other than used for a track car. Every engineer that I have ever talked to about this agree they provide no extra protection for a DI car.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The point was that some people claim catch cans are the great savior of the DI (direct injection) engine. If it were so, GM would include them on all of these DI engines. They only include them for TRACK cars because obviously it looks like they actually may harm cars that are driven on the street or at least offer NO benefit what-so-ever other than used for a track car. Every engineer that I have ever talked to about this agree they provide no extra protection for a DI car.
No where does it say it will harm the car or state there is no benefit. It only states it is not intended for street use (read: emissions reasons). How could there be no benefit on the street vs track? Why would it harm a street car and not a track car?

The only difference would be the increased amount of oil vapor on a vehicle driven very hard. Whether that is hard track use or hard street use is no different. There is still oil vapor being routed into the intake as part of the PCV system inc reversion on every Camaro so why not catch and remove it before it coats the intake etc if you can?

You tell people they are snake oil and junk yet you have never used one nor seen what they can do. Granted, just like everything else in the world not all catch cans are created equal and a poor implementation of one could yield no results. but your blanket statements about them are just wrong. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
No where does it say it will harm the car or state there is no benefit. It only states it is not intended for street use (read: emissions reasons). How could there be no benefit on the street vs track? Why would it harm a street car and not a track car?

The only difference would be the increased amount of oil vapor on a vehicle driven very hard. Whether that is hard track use or hard street use is no different. There is still oil vapor being routed into the intake as part of the PCV system inc reversion on every Camaro so why not catch and remove it before it coats the intake etc if you can?

You tell people they are snake oil and junk yet you have never used one nor seen what they can do. Granted, just like everything else in the world not all catch cans are created equal and a poor implementation of one could yield no results. but your blanket statements about them are just wrong. :facepalm:
PROVE IT or shut up! That is all I want. No amount of proof that GM has will sink into your simple mind. If it were any good for a DI engine then it would be on there from the factory. They even say not to use it under 32 degrees. WHY? Is your brain that small that you can't figure out that it could cause harm to the engine? Do you even have a brain? Come on man! You can't be that stupid... can you? You need help dude.:twak: Try reading for comprehension.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
PROVE IT or shut up! That is all I want. No amount of proof that GM has will sink into your simple mind. If it were any good for a DI engine then it would be on there from the factory. They even say not to use it under 32 degrees. WHY? Is your brain that small that you can't figure out that it could cause harm to the engine? Do you even have a brain? Come on man! You can't be that stupid... can you? You need help dude.:twak: Try reading for comprehension.
I am so done with you. You are seriously out there.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you ever thought that maybe GM doesn't use it because it would cost them MONEY to research and develop the part? And trust me, the execs at GM don't wanna waste money on cars when they could get it in a bonus check.

That being said, I'm not super sure I really like my GM catch can. It doesn't appear to vent the crankcase at all (you plug the vent) and it feeds air from the oil fill cap and vents it into the intake anyway. Not sure if this still vents the crankcase (it does if I remember right) but what does it solve if you just dump it right back into the intake anyway? Idk, seems I could done a bit better with some rubber tubing...

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's alright. I can call them up. I still have the number.

What you mean?

I understand coyotekiller,

Sounds great. If there is anything we can help with in the future, please don't hesitate to use us here.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ok let me ask this...why would a catch can not be emissions legal? If anything, it keeps oil out of the intake which in turn keeps oil and oil vapors out of the exhaust which should be good for the environment. Right? So why would it be not intended for use on a street car? Also, why is it not to be used in temps under 32 degrees? I understand that if these things were soo important, then they should come installed from the factory. But what I don't get is how they are not installed from the factory despite all the emissions/environment/green talk we constantly hear about. I mean at the very worst it won't harm your engine and at the very best it is good for the environment. Right...??

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ok let me ask this...why would a catch can not be emissions legal? If anything, it keeps oil out of the intake which in turn keeps oil and oil vapors out of the exhaust which should be good for the environment. Right? So why would it be not intended for use on a street car? Also, why is it not to be used in temps under 32 degrees? I understand that if these things were soo important, then they should come installed from the factory. But what I don't get is how they are not installed from the factory despite all the emissions/environment/green talk we constantly hear about. I mean at the very worst it won't harm your engine and at the very best it is good for the environment. Right...??
They are not smog legal due to the fact they could possibly vent to the atmosphere either from failure or poor design etc. and would need to go thru EPA/CARB certification which would mandate this couldn't happen. As for the 32 deg thing, it could potentially freeze up as there is a good amount of air moving thru a relatively small opening depending on design.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
They are not smog legal due to the fact they could possibly vent to the atmosphere either from failure or poor design etc. and would need to go thru EPA/CARB certification which would mandate this couldn't happen. As for the 32 deg thing, it could potentially freeze up as there is a good amount of air moving thru a relatively small opening depending on design.
Ok thanks for the info. This is one mod I will skip, as we frequently get temps below 32. I know I could simply take it off during those times, but that would be too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. This is one mod I will skip, as we frequently get temps below 32. I know I could simply take it off during those times, but that would be too much of a hassle.
The 32 deg warning was for the 1LE can by GM. I don't believe there is an issue with the RX can.

I have the RX can and run the car in those temps and lower and haven't had a problem with it. Like I said, it is all about the design. Call and talk to Tracy over at RevXtreme (RevXtreme - RX Performance Products) about his setup or IM him. He is on this forum as SC2150. It should alleviate your concerns....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The purpose of the PCV valve is to regulate the flow of crankcase fumes into the intake manifold where they can be burned. Prior to 1963, cars had no PCV and used road draft tubes that just left the hydrocarbon emissions from the crankcase out into the open air. The PCV valve also has a secondary role as a check valve, to prevent flow back into the crankcase. This prevents potential ignition of the crankcase fumes, should the engine backfire. The PCV system is also crucial for to proper engine sealing. The system alleviates crankcase pressure, which can push out on seals and gaskets, contributing to oil leaks.

If you use the oil separator you could DAMAGE your engine as it is not and does not function like a PCV valve. Some folks on this thread think they know everything and obviously don't.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Give it up. Pearls and all that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The purpose of the PCV valve is to regulate the flow of crankcase fumes into the intake manifold where they can be burned. Prior to 1963, cars had no PCV and used road draft tubes that just left the hydrocarbon emissions from the crankcase out into the open air. The PCV valve also has a secondary role as a check valve, to prevent flow back into the crankcase. This prevents potential ignition of the crankcase fumes, should the engine backfire. The PCV system is also crucial for to proper engine sealing. The system alleviates crankcase pressure, which can push out on seals and gaskets, contributing to oil leaks.

If you use the oil separator you could DAMAGE your engine as it is not and does not function like a PCV valve. Some folks on this thread think they know everything and obviously don't.
Yep. GM and thousands of people have no clue what they are talking about but you do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts