Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i read in the camaro specifications that there are 8 different hp and torque ratings for the LS3 and L99 combined. u can check it out on the camaro website chevy has under specs. so that would mean 2 engines, with 2 transmission choices for both. but in chevy's press release it says the ls3 will get the 6 speed standard and the l99 will get the auto, i hope this is not true because this would be a bad marketing decision for gm:BangHead:. i'm thinking about getting a standard with the l99 for fuel economy, hopefully 25mpg on highway?;)

actually it would depend on gas prices on what i get, and how fast the ls3 is vs. the l99, and whether the auto is faster than the standard when they tested it around nurburgring(we should see a video within two weeks or sooner i think), just like the cts-v auto is faster than the standard.

but leaning towards standard for fuel economy, and satisfaction of getting a better lap time than an automatic at a road course possibly if my skills with a standard get good enough:roxor: lol

but anyways, is the standard with the ls3 and the auto with the l99 going to be the intial ss models? or do y'all think that they said that because those will be the most popular ss models? or will those be the only offering in the ss? :(

i have a 4 speed auto in my 2002 camaro right now, i kinda want a six speed standard and then i think about it and i don't, because i'm pretty sure the auto is faster around the road course with the sport mode and is a lot better in traffic. but then i think about durability, the fun of shifting gears, maintenance, and fuel economy and lean towards manual. i'm pretty sure a manual driven softly in daily driving while pushed hard every once in a while will add up to less money spent on maintenance than an auto, especially in the long run. i know how to drive standard, but the only cars i've drivin standard have had all over 100,000 miles on them, a 1995 nissan 4 cylinder 5 speed truck, a 99 5 speed cavalier(with no tach, but an upshift light), a 99 5 speed v6 firebird, and a 1995 ford ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed(with no tach or upshift light lol). they weren't the most pleasurable driving experiences, but i got the hang of it and could drive them anywhere. i imagine a brand new ls3 or l99 camaro with a six speed will be a better driving experience i hope? lol

what do y'all think?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
The L99 is only getting the A6 because of AFM...so that should get better mpg. It's basically the same engine as the LS3 and the performance #'s that were release are almost identical (the A6 was slightly quicker actually).

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
The LS3 and L99 are the same except the L99 has AFM, so the cam and lifters are AFM-specific. Other than that the engines are identical.

L99/A6 and LS3/M6 are the configurations. :)

And yes, by preliminary performance numbers, the L99/A6 is faster. :)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The LS3 and L99 are the same except the L99 has AFM, so the cam and lifters are AFM-specific. Other than that the engines are identical.

L99/A6 and LS3/M6 are the configurations. :)

And yes, by preliminary performance numbers, the L99/A6 is faster. :)
And more boring. :D

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Wonder how hard its going to be tuning an automatic car since it has AFM ?

Can you still tune them like you would a normal Ls3 or do they have to do it a certain way ? so they wont screw with gas milage.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
C'mon Guy....what's so exciting about running over these all day?
It's more fun trying to avoid them, actually. :D

If you've never been autocrossing, find your local club, and try it once. You'll see.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
It's more fun trying to avoid them, actually. :D

If you've never been autocrossing, find your local club, and try it once. You'll see.
I actually plan to try that with the Camaro. I outfitted the Maggie with full Eibach goodies front and rear, big-a$$ Hotchkis sways, ventilated discs and Hawk pads but never got her to a roadcoarse.:(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
someone look at that pdf chevy has on the camaro website, camaro specs. i would give the link but i'm doing this through my phone lol. i can put it up when i get back home

anyways on that spec sheet there are 4 different torque ratings and 4 different horsepower ratings for the L99 and LS3. 2 for each engine that is. notice how weird some of the ratings are too, that must be the auto because it has no 1:1 gear ratio, it goes from 1.15 straight to .85

i think chevy will offer both transmissions for both engines now that i looked it over. i bet money that it is the automatic LS3 that posted the 8:20 around nurburgring too 100$ jk

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
someone look at that pdf chevy has on the camaro website, camaro specs. i would give the link but i'm doing this through my phone lol. i can put it up when i get back home

anyways on that spec sheet there are 4 different torque ratings and 4 different horsepower ratings for the L99 and LS3. 2 for each engine that is. notice how weird some of the ratings are too, that must be the auto because it has no 1:1 gear ratio, it goes from 1.15 straight to .85

i think chevy will offer both transmissions for both engines now that i looked it over. i bet money that it is the automatic LS3 that posted the 8:20 around nurburgring too 100$ jk
There isn't 4 HP/TQ ratings for each...look again (when you're not on your phone)...it's HP/KW and TQ/NM...just look at the first #'s. With the specs that they've released, don't you think if they were going to give you an non-AFM-LS3/A6, they would have said so? They're almost identical motors...just one has AFM cam/lifters.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I know if I were going to put my ride on autocross or lower it for looks I would use H&R if they had the springs for my vehicle. Eibach doesnt give you the total drop they say they will plus they settle to much at times and not enough on others. PLus the drive is terrible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thought I remember reading somewhere that in order for the AFM to work properly, the engine must be mated with the automatic tranny.

I'll see if I can find it, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Because of the way the AFM works, it needs to be able to automatically select the gear the car is in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok...found it. It was in the transcript from some of the web chats.

garfin: Why no AFM on the maual transmission V8?

DougHoulihan: the AFM is done elecronically as we move from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode or 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder mode. The manual transmission is mechanically in specific gears and does not allow us to electronically change from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder mode.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lmao, i feel like a dumb a$$, i can't believe i didn't see that on the left. here is the link so everybody can behold my stupidity lol

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/2010+Camaro+Specifications.pdf

i bet it is the ls3 that made it around nurburgring in 2:20 then, i'll go with the better horsepower over quicker

they should offer both transmissions with the ls3 i think

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They had a manual 6 speed on the ring when they got those numbers didnt they ?
it sounded like it in the video i watched, i think they have the full 6 min version over on the camaro5 forum. as for confirmation, i don't think they have confirmed anything about which car ran around the ring in 8:20

if they did someone show us, i'm curious as to which version was faster around the ring

1 - 20 of 51 Posts