Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In California, the sales tax and car registration is brutal. I have a friend in Vegas who will let me use his address. Can I register the car there and still live in L.A. ?

I know I would need to have a NV license and plates, but that could not be a huge problem. I guess I am just trying to figure out the best way to do this. Insurance will also be cheaper.

Any law enforcement (or government workers) or knowledgeable people out there that can help me try to beat the system?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to be a resident of the state you register it in. Otherwise everybody would register out of state into the state with the cheapest rates. Definitely not an expert though, just seems logical.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know in VA the laws allow you 30 days (unless that has changed recently)from the time you move to the state to get your auto registrations, state inspection, license tags, and drivers license changed over to VA. If you are a legal VA resident and are not within that 30 day grace period, you can be ticketed and fined for non-compliance with any and all of the above requirements. It would take establishing residence in another state to get around this, so your license, insurance, everything would have to be in another state (at least as far as VA), it requires enough expense that most people won't bother with doing it.
Clyde

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't know if this will help but some years ago I purchased a Jeep Wrangler and had it shipped to South Carolina. I was returning from a 2 year tour in Germany and when I picked up my vehicle I was able to register it in South Carolina using my parents address as home of record. Insurance was South Carolina rates as well. About 3 weeks later I moved to Texas where I notified my insurance company who gave me insurance documents for both Texas and South Carolina. Can't remember if the rate had changed though but I think it may have. Oh, btw....I am a California resident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts