Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....granted I live in the desert...and it gets HOT....very hot. My HUD and display temperature readings coincide BUT when checked against my phone and local weather readings....the Camaro temperature readings are 10-12 degrees higher. Is it just me...or can someone explain this significant difference to me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
do you have a bank with a temp reading. my phone is always off. My Camaro isn't

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It sometimes depends on location. For instance, local weather could be colder or hotter depending on where they are actually getting the readings from. If you are lets say 10 miles away from the local location, then you might be a little off. Plus the Camaro is showing you the temp as it is at that exact moment. I'm not sure how often the local weather gets updated. As an example, I can see 70 degrees down by the beach which is 3 miles east of me...but I can go about 10 miles west and see like 80 degrees.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like at 6pm last night it was hot....my phone said 97.....Cami(yes not original but that's her name) was reading 109

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
with your original post I was going to say, turn off the AC and put your phone outside the window where "cami" is getting her reading, but that doesn't really work after you qualified ... I know, I'm not very funny, sorry ... what Jconningham and Chapel said

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
yea the car temp is def off, mine is always 15 higher, matched it with my thermo right outside

·
Registered
222 Posts
on the phones the temp is what a weather service says (and thats based off of their nearest weather stations) not a sensor in the phone. They cant put a out side temp sensor in a phone as the phone will read hotter because the phone is warmer. than ambient temp. out of my 3 GMs with temp sensors all have been spot on. I have a $40 thermal gun but its 10 degrees off so unless its a very expensive one I wouldn't trust it to be that accurate. Like i said find a bank or even better a school that has a temp sign. Our school use to have a weather station for the local news at it but not anymore. of course a thermometer reading will work too if you know someone with one

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
i checked it with my thermometer and it was still way off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kinda hard to locate a temperature sensor in a metal can (car) and have it be accurate. Official thermometers are positioned so that surrounding influences have minimal effect on the reading. Even a home thermometer needs to mounted on a north-facing surface (northern hemisphere) to minimize chances of getting direct sunlight. I'm actually surprised the Camaro temp reading is so close to real-life. My '95 Montero is accurate once a day, that being when you first turn the key on in the morning.

John B.

·
Registered
222 Posts
mines right on same as bank every time and so was my other 3 GMs. I think you got a bad one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a picture of mine last week (too lazy to post it) in the Camaro when it was reading 123 in slo-mo freeway jammed traffic. Heck, it was only 109 at the time. Usually the car reads pretty darn well.

The Montero does not. Same situation and it pegs at its 155 limit. My friends with the same vehicles say all their trucks are the same. Just one little drawback to that vehicle, I guess. Well, that and the 15 mpg, tops, that I get running 35" tires and a 2" body lift. 3.5l DOHC and a four speed lock-up trans and that's as good as it gets without a hefty tailwind.

John B.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
The temp readings on the black, dark gray (CGM, AGM) and dark blue (IBM, BRM) Camaros will always be less than accurate (much higher) in the summertime because of the heat absorption that dark colors create. I can't help but notice that those who are experiencing this issue seem to all own one of these colors.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Envy.....that makes sense....says the girl who owns a BRM vert......thanks!!!!!

·
2016 Camaro 1SS
769 Posts
The temp readings on the black, dark gray (CGM, AGM) and dark blue (IBM, BRM) Camaros will always be less than accurate (much higher) in the summertime because of the heat absorption that dark colors create. I can't help but notice that those who are experiencing this issue seem to all own one of these colors.
Bingo

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
First you have to understand after the car sits, normally in the parking lot, it will be hotter due to the asphalt as heat rises, just as the interior of your car gets hot, so does the sensor outside under the front bumper... it will update as you drive to become more accurate.

Here is more info on how it works..

An intentional delay is built into the system, as a parked vehicle encounters conditions that may cause inaccurate readings of the outside air temperature. Higher than actual readings could be encountered if the vehicle is left sitting in direct sunlight, or if the vehicle engine is warm when parked.

To assure greater accuracy of the reported outside air temperature, the display is programmed to perform updates on the following schedule when the vehicle is started.

If the vehicle is driven at:

25-40♦km/h (15-25♦mph), the display will update after 5 minutes.
41-60♦km/h (26-37♦mph), the display will update after 2 min 30 sec.
61-100♦km/h (38-62♦mph), the display will update after 1 minute.
Once the first temperature update begins, the outside temperature display is refreshed every 2 seconds.

Important: The outside temperature display will update immediately if the vehicle is turned off for more than 200 minutes or if the sensed outside temperature is below the value when the ignition was previously turned off.

Hope that helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts