Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this in an email and found myself laughing and agreeing, god i am getting old.:eek:

:5go:

Subject: Over 30
>
>
>
>
>
>
> When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways… Yadda, yadda, yadda
>
> And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!
> But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a **** Utopia!
> And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!
>
> I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the **** library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
>
> There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!
> Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!
>
> Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!
>
> There were no MP3's or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!
>
> Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and the tape would come undone..Cause-that's how we rolled, dig?
>
> We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!
>
> There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a **** call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror.. And then there's TEXTING.. yeah, right. You kids have no idea how annoying you are.
>
> And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
>
> We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
>
> You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!
>
> There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-faces!
>
> And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!
>
> That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!
>
> Regards,
> The Over 30 Crowd
> (Send this to someone you'd like to make smile, whether they are under 30 or not.)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Let us not forget that when we did "channel surf" we only had a maximum of 9 choices - ABC, NBC, CBS and the local affiliates (that would be 7) and then two really cool UHF channels!! (The only place you could find Speed Racer!)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Dang I remember all that. When I was a kid we played out side all day. Nothing to keep you in except for the unbeatable space invaders....:lol:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Things like this make me mad a little bit, but so no bickering insues I'll leave it short.

We're human for a reason, we adapt and evolve.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There was internet 30 years ago...
There where cell phones 30 years ago...
The first CD was made like 28 years ago...

Seems being 30 years young really wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So says the Laughing Man (I dig Ghost in the Shell), I didn't see a "cell phone" until I was like 12 and it was one of those 'bag phones' can you really call that a cell phone or was it a glorified CB? Heard about the internet but didn't get on til I was like 19. Now CD's on the other hand, I remember laser disks the size of vynil records to wacth movies on. Either way most uf us didn't know these items were out or at least they were not in the average consumer price range until much later. I remember putting the first CD deck in my '87 RS, skipped like a ***** though.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
We played games with a rock and a ball of yarn!

And this gem I found on a blog that I kept for posterity (I think he was from Iowa):
we used to have corn battles
by Kloipy Apr 25th, 2007
12:27:57 PM
in the field, where you would just throw ears of corn as hard and high as you could in hopes that you would hit one of your friends in the head. No helmets. Just high-flying corn and your skull. I miss those days

·
Registered
514 Posts
Let us not forget that when we did "channel surf" we only had a maximum of 9 choices - ABC, NBC, CBS and the local affiliates (that would be 7) and then two really cool UHF channels!! (The only place you could find Speed Racer!)
And the stations went off air at either 11pm or midnight during the week, and 1am on weekends :lol:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
AND they played REAL cartoons every Sat morning til lunch time
No kidding, Looney Tunes was the best stuff. Now the kids grow up watching seizure-inducing anime, which possibly explains some of the tastes of the younger ones here. :lol:

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
No kidding, Looney Tunes was the best stuff. Now the kids grow up watching seizure-inducing anime, which possibly explains some of the tastes of the younger ones here. :lol:
It's rabbit season it's duck season... Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd are the best

·
Registered
105 Posts

Or maybe they grew up watching Disney...Subliminal messages anyone?

I'm only 21, but I grew up with an Atari, old Apple PC with a command line OS, later on the SNES, Sega, and gamegear..etc. Channel 9 for Good Morning America and Looney Toons on Satuday, WWF(when it was still called that) on Fridays.
Guess we need to go back further than 30 years to find clearly defined separation in the generations here.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember how happy my mom was when we got out first cordless (land line) phone in the house, not that you could go more than 50' away or in the bathroom with it, but it was a marvel of technology for her.

The clasics are great, but if you really liked animation the natural progression was to watch anime, way better artistry and the rest of the croud did not even bother to catch up for years (Akira v.s. GI Joe = no contest)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts