Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received this in an email from GM earlier today:

To date we have accepted over 6000 sold orders, 84% of which are SS. We will not be able to build in this model mix, so make sure you are setting your customer's expectations correctly to avoid the high potential for dissatisfaction. But keep taking sold orders !!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, the allocation number we have given you is for the first 20,000 built covering production thru September. If things go right we will far surpass that number by year end.

Orders to date:

LS: 2%
1LT: 4%
2LT: 10%
1SS: 7%
2SS: 77%

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts

To date we have accepted over 6000 sold orders, 84% of which are SS. We will not be able to build in this model mix, so make sure you are setting your customer's expectations correctly to avoid the high potential for dissatisfaction. But keep taking sold orders !!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, the allocation number we have given you is for the first 20,000 built covering production thru September. If things go right we will far surpass that number by year end

Orders to date:

LS: 2%
1LT: 4%
2LT: 10%
1SS: 7%
2SS: 77%
84% SS?
Goes against Camaros sales history :roxor:

That 77% number is scary, maybe my thoughts of dreamers is true...

·
Registered
349 Posts

Remember, the allocation number we have given you is for the first 20,000 built covering production thru September. If things go right we will far surpass that number by year end.
Can someone explain this in more detail? What do they mean by "We will not be able to build in this model mix"?

And the second quote seems a little lost on me.

Sean W

·
Registered
89 Posts
honestly.. not that i dont think the 5th gen will be a hit.. but i think i may wait a couple months after there released because with 77% 2SS, theres bound to be a few that dont want it. ill drive a used with with 3k miles on the clock for $5k less then msrp off the lot

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Can someone explain this in more detail? What do they mean by "We will not be able to build in this model mix"?

And the second quote seems a little lost on me.

Sean W
i think it means they won't be able to build 77% of the cars as a 2SS...Of coarse it's still early, but if that ratio continues, there may be a waiting period for all the 2SS's to arrive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i think it means they won't be able to build 77% of the cars as a 2SS...Of coarse it's still early, but if that ratio continues, there may be a waiting period for all the 2SS's to arrive.
That seems odd to me. I would think it would harder to make the lesser amount orders. I would imagine they have to switch out the line parts to make a different models so switching it out for smaller orders would be harder than switching it out to make a bunch of one kind. Just make the line ready for 2SS and let her role :roxor:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
That seems odd to me. I would think it would harder to make the lesser amount orders. I would imagine they have to switch out the line parts to make a different models so switching it out for smaller orders would be harder than switching it out to make a bunch of one kind. Just make the line ready for 2SS and let her role :roxor:
it was just a guess...it might have something to do with parts availability...I don't know.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I think this is a classic example of "their eyes being bigger than their stomachs."

Everyone wants a 2SS but im curious just how many can actually afford it !
I know I want a 2SS/Rs however its going to come down to the amount of money that going down and just how much the dealer wants to sell in by how the dealer works with ya.

Gm is pricing this car at a good price however all people see is the car they dont think REALITY and life with money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I figure the people willing to put down money sight unseen to preorder a car like this are the true believers who are going to get what they want no matter the cost. Those people are probably like me and planning to get the Camaro of thier dreams. For most of us, that's a 2SS/RS.

In hindsight, it makes Chrysler's plan to roll out the Challenger SRT exclusively for the first model year to get the true believers taken care of first and out of the way seem shrewd.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have worked at GM for 24 years. The model mix can be a little tricky. Job set-up probably effects things the most. For example, an operator in the Trim department might have to shoot 6 screws on the LS model. But, on the 2SS her or she has to shoot 12 screws. The LS helps balance out the work load. If 80% of the jobs were 2SS then the operator might not be able to preform their job in the allotted time for each job. Customers demand "World Class Quality" vehicles so the model mix help keep the workload balanced on the line. If they set the jobs up for 80% 2SS and then after a few months the only run 20%, the workload will not be divided correctly on the line causing line stops, poor quality, and shhh...... repairs!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, Here's how I've been planning for my 2SS purchase...

1. Late last year, I started to clean up my credit report

2. Saved about half of my tax returns and put it into a 12 month CD

3. I started a stock purchase plan through my company (deducted from paycheck. Anywhere from $75-$200 a check

4. I started to sell uneeded things from my house on Ebay. I'm up about $2,000 so far.

5. I revisted my credit report this month and I have to say that I am very happy with my credit score now. It's about 100 points higher than a year ago.

6. I now have about $6,000 saved with a lot more on the way.

7. Going to use most of my tax returns this year (usely a couple grand. Fingers crossed)

And finaly, I should have about $12,000 - $13,000 saved for downpayment. I should be good if I only have to finance $25,000 or less.

Sorry for going into personal detail of my savings, but there are a few things here that everyone should do no matter what you plan to buy in the future. Credit report, wink-wink. When I first looked at mine, I noticed that a credit card of which I am a secondary holder on (my moms the primary) has a limit of $24,000. Now I never use this card, but I still get reported to the credit people for it, even if she's late on the card. I had her take me off the card altogether, now it's off my record. Imagine when lenders look at this when aproving my loans. WOW! Look at that, he has a huge loan now, why should we give hime more money?

Just food for thought.

Sean W

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Didn't it take Chrysler over 2 months to sell out the Challenger? (6400 units). And this was with better financial times. 6K in two weeks is pretty good, any way you slice it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Didn't it take Chrysler over 2 months to sell out the Challenger? (6400 units). And this was with better financial times. 6K in two weeks is pretty good, any way you slice it.
And I still havn't seen one on the streets. Except for one that had dealer plates on it :screwy:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I think the people ordering cars this early are largely enthusiast buyers.
Meaning: these are the people that have been waiting for this car since they first saw the concept in 2006, or even since the 4th Gen went away in 2002.
So that percentage of V8 cars doesn't surprise me in that aspect.

As stated above, it is true, they couldn't build 84% V8s in terms of total production, it just wouldn't work.

I think a more accurate determination of distribution will only be seen a couple months into production as people start seeing the cars and ordering them like the average joe does.

·
Registered
157 Posts
like i posted on camaro5.com

It's amazing how ONE rumor can send everyone into a complete tailspin.

Wait until december before grabbing the "oh sh1t" bar.

Besides, anyone else hear the bumblebee edition backseat will be filled with popcorn? LOL

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.