Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a moderately congested traffic area...subsequently, I made the decision a few months prior that I will purchase the "premium V8" with the automatic trans..(not the top dog, but the step below)...I am guessing averaging 33-35,000 well equipped.

I noticed the photograph below was a recently taken of a mule with the auto trans. Has GM decided to no longer follow through with the paddle shifters? I know there was some opposition to the paddle shifters, truthfully I have never driven in a vehicle with them...so I dont have a valid argument either way, but I will say the idea seemed rather interesting.

Or...is this all pre-production "mule-ness" similar to the head lamp deal...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, I don't see a point to paddle shifters. My fathers VW Passat has them and driving it is very annoying. When I drive that car, I never use them, since you can't shift while turning and the vehicle will shift for you anyway if you don't touch the levers. I put the car in sport mode and rip it... :D It's more fun that way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I don't see a point to paddle shifters. My fathers VW Passat has them and driving it is very annoying. When I drive that car, I never use them, since you can't shift while turning and the vehicle will shift for you anyway if you don't touch the levers. I put the car in sport mode and rip it... :D It's more fun that way.
hmmm, odd I was not aware of that...

However, I don't see how it can be "annoying" if you actually aren't required to use it. Just ignore them right?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Paddle shifters are cool - when the response time is immediate. One of the biggest turn offs when selling a automatic vette to a manual shifting customer that is considering an auto. Way too slow to shift.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The only car I drove with paddle shifters is, and dont laugh, a Mini Cooper non turbo or super charged, whatever it is. But if you are in manual mode and using the p shifters and say, start in 2nd gear and you punch it, it will shift into 1st. So it does override you, which kinda sucks. If the camaro has the option, I hope it doesnt override what you want it to do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I actually like paddle shifters, and their technology keeps adavancing year to year. If the response time is quick enough, i would love a paddle shifting automatic in my new camaro. I just like playing with them when I drive cars equipped with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My mom has an RX8 and it has the paddle shifters in the automatic. I think it's actually more fun to drive with those. When you're in a ton of traffic and doing the stop-and-go driving, having the automatic is really nice. But when you're pulling into the highway and want to punch it, you can just switch over to "manual" and rev the engine to close to 8K before you shift (which is where those little engines produce most of their power).

It will override you sometimes, like if you forget to downshift, it will automatically put the car in first when you come to a complete stop. But for the most part, the car lets you do what you want to it when you're in manual mode.

If the camaro had an option like that and behaved the way the RX8 does, I would seriously consider it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
... looking at the pics it doesnt seem like gm will do much with the interrior...... i think the interrior has 2 b more modernized ... the retro interrior is just ugly and needs some present touches

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, it has been very helpful in directing which path I would like to choose (assuming they do still offer).

To those of you who have used the shifters, how does it implement reverse and neutral..do you just continue down shifting?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... looking at the pics it doesnt seem like gm will do much with the interrior...... i think the interrior has 2 b more modernized ... the retro interrior is just ugly and needs some present touches
ehh I would not base your judgment from this picture...they clearly were not trying to impress anyone with this photo. Appears to be a rough sketch and build for a mule

·
Registered
455 Posts
ehh I would not base your judgment from this picture...they clearly were not trying to impress anyone with this photo. Appears to be a rough sketch and build for a mule

i know nothing is confirmed but on concept and like the picture on this thread it looks bad and i hope it is totally re-done.... having some older aspecs would be nice if it goes together with modern touches but what gm has with the concept is just sick

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Thanks for the replies, it has been very helpful in directing which path I would like to choose (assuming they do still offer).

To those of you who have used the shifters, how does it implement reverse and neutral..do you just continue down shifting?
Nope, just 1-6 up or down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2005 SAAB 95 with paddle shift, it takes a little getting used to but is fun to drive but i still prefer the true manual. i wish my Monte Carlo rode as well as the SAAB.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I really like paddle shifters and am planning on getting them if they're offered.

The paddle shifters on the C6 are not obtrusive at all, and difficult to hit by accident.
But I do agree the response time on them needs to be alot faster.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
not a fan of the paddles...I drove an M3 w/ the SMG tranny...didn't like the paddles, stuck with the shifter. It was a nice car, but I was really disappointed in how the tranny performed...give me a clutch with a nice shifter any day.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm, I understand the aspect of 1-6 for six speed, (I know I sound like an idiot) but based on other cars which some of you have driven...how is the reverse and neutral implemented. Scotty states the paddle shifters are a separate entity with R and N. This means there has to be an additional operation for reverse or neutral...im just curious to where that would be?

Does this mean you still have your shifter in the mid console for P, R, N and drive...and within the drive you use the paddle shifters? I know this is pety but interests me...haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does this mean you still have your shifter in the mid console for P, R, N and drive...and within the drive you use the paddle shifters? I know this is pety but interests me...haha
On the RX8 (which is the only car I've driven with paddle shifters), that is how it operates. The paddles are merely for shifting through the forward gears. You still have to use the shifter on the console to get out of park and into reverse and neutral. There is a D for drive which is where you can have the transmission work as a full automatic. To begin using the paddle shifters, you move it over into "manual mode" where you can use either the shifter on the console by bumping it forward and backward to shift up and down or use the paddle shifters.

Here's a picture of the RX8 center console:

I know it's not a great picture, but it's all I could find in less than 30 seconds. You can see how you move the shifter down to put the car in drive, and then move it to the left to put it in M mode.

Also, on the RX8, there are two paddles behind the steering wheel (one on each side) which you can see in the picture below that you use to shift up. To shift down, you hit the little thumb paddles on the top portion of the steering wheel.

Hopefully this answers a few more of your questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Passat is the only car I've ever driven with paddle shifters... so I'll use that.
You see next to drive, where it has +/- ? You put the shifter there, off to the right, and it goes into manual mode. From this point you can either shift up and down with the gear lever, or you can use the paddles.
IMO, I don't like these at all. In an automatic car, I like to relax while I'm driving. Having to watch the tach and shift gears by pushing a button gives me no satisfaction. If there's no clutch, I keep wondering why I am doing this... I could be turning my attention to other things. My mother has a BMW 530i with a manual shift mode. It is very boring to drive compared to a manual 5-series. I'll take a regular manual any day, no in between crap for me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ahhhh yes, there we go, thank you to warner and chicken.. that does answer my questions. With that brought to my attention it does seem like it takes some of attention off the road and onto your tact...where as a straight manual flow better. However, like I said I live in a relatively congested area so would probably go with the auto....so I can see how some people would say it is just easier to put the car in Drive and not use the shifters...who knows till ya try it right?..thanks again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts