Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only have about 2300 miles on it since we brought it home in October. Sits in the garage a lot. I know it wasn't there last week when I rinsed it off. Driver's side rear bumper facia where it almost meets the wheel well. Under closer look it appears the paint is wrinkling then it split. About 1/4" long thereabouts. Obviously this isn't a paint chip, so the dealer will get to see this one.

So much for this car not seeing any warranty work. As usual, I'm afraid of what the dealer will do, as far as the potential for making things worse. But if the paint is falling of the rear fascia, I don't need that either.

Anyone else seen this type of thing occur on their car? (sorry bout the pics, I got a cheapo camera that doesn't do closeups very well.)

Thoughts? Opinions? Should I be concerned with just a spot repair or push for a complete fascia repaint -- could this be like a crack in the windshield that will just get worse?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
The entire fascia should be resprayed. Warranty covered mine for much the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Sorry for the oops by the factory but it has to happen now and then is guess.
Sorry again it was on yours, a great looking car. Like others have said... probably should just repaint the whole part, not just spot paint. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.:(

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pisser is I didn't do anything to it. No bumps, scrapes, dinks...nothing. It just bows up and splits right there in the garage. Grrr. Oh well. I'm pissed today but tomorrow I'll feel better about it. Not like the engine locked up or anything.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
d'oh! that sucks, bro. i know how you feel being nervous about taking it to the dealer, but hopefully they will get it fixed up for ya and you'll be back lookin' good in no time :D and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that something like that doesn't happen to ours.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sorry to see your baby hurting. I would push for the whole thing. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It almost looks like that spot might be an attachment point for the bumper to the body. Looks really tight right there but not so much just to the right. It could be that it was fastened too tightly at the factory and caused the paint to split slightly.

Washing it and other things will cause it to get worse over time so that could be why you're seeing it now.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting it covered.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
yea i would go into the dealer's service dept looking like your about to open up a can of whoop ass on somebody... they shouldn't give you hard time!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the paint isn't peeling anywhere else on the car. If I washed it more often, I may have seen it before now. Just went out and looked at the other side, and the paint is wrinkling in the same spot! But hasn't split yet.

It appears it's an adhesion problem. I called the dealer and taking it over there after lunch...30 miles away! (thanks for that GM)

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
i would urge them to remove the bumper, strip the paint and repaint the whole thing! or get a new bumper and paint it, cuz no telling it might be a bad bumper mold that slipped passed QC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only have about 2300 miles on it since we brought it home in October. Sits in the garage a lot. I know it wasn't there last week when I rinsed it off. Driver's side rear bumper facia where it almost meets the wheel well. Under closer look it appears the paint is wrinkling then it split. About 1/4" long thereabouts. Obviously this isn't a paint chip, so the dealer will get to see this one.

So much for this car not seeing any warranty work. As usual, I'm afraid of what the dealer will do, as far as the potential for making things worse. But if the paint is falling of the rear fascia, I don't need that either.

Anyone else seen this type of thing occur on their car? (sorry bout the pics, I got a cheapo camera that doesn't do closeups very well.)

Thoughts? Opinions? Should I be concerned with just a spot repair or push for a complete fascia repaint -- could this be like a crack in the windshield that will just get worse?

Mine is the same color, I got it inthe same month as you, and found the other day pealing in the same spot as yours. I thought I was looking at a picture of my car. I am taking it in tonight. Car has 600 miles on it. I have never even washed it yet. This sucks!!!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
oh man im so sorry this happened to your car. To bad you dont live closer I would say take it back to Classic they did awsome paint work for me on my Camaro when I had the spoliler and blackout painted.

Good luck sorry about this problem

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The pisser is I didn't do anything to it. No bumps, scrapes, dinks...nothing. It just bows up and splits right there in the garage. Grrr. Oh well. I'm pissed today but tomorrow I'll feel better about it. Not like the engine locked up or anything.
It looks like the 2 pieces have come together and pulled the paint! I would make them realign the 2 so the gap is consistent otherwise it will prob happen again!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts