Modern Camaro Forums banner

Paint peeling...wtf?

7K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  hutch34 
#1 ·
Only have about 2300 miles on it since we brought it home in October. Sits in the garage a lot. I know it wasn't there last week when I rinsed it off. Driver's side rear bumper facia where it almost meets the wheel well. Under closer look it appears the paint is wrinkling then it split. About 1/4" long thereabouts. Obviously this isn't a paint chip, so the dealer will get to see this one.

So much for this car not seeing any warranty work. As usual, I'm afraid of what the dealer will do, as far as the potential for making things worse. But if the paint is falling of the rear fascia, I don't need that either.

Anyone else seen this type of thing occur on their car? (sorry bout the pics, I got a cheapo camera that doesn't do closeups very well.)

Thoughts? Opinions? Should I be concerned with just a spot repair or push for a complete fascia repaint -- could this be like a crack in the windshield that will just get worse?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The entire fascia should be resprayed. Warranty covered mine for much the same thing.

#6 ·
Sorry for the oops by the factory but it has to happen now and then is guess.
Sorry again it was on yours, a great looking car. Like others have said... probably should just repaint the whole part, not just spot paint. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.:(

#7 ·
The pisser is I didn't do anything to it. No bumps, scrapes, dinks...nothing. It just bows up and splits right there in the garage. Grrr. Oh well. I'm pissed today but tomorrow I'll feel better about it. Not like the engine locked up or anything.

#8 ·
d'oh! that sucks, bro. i know how you feel being nervous about taking it to the dealer, but hopefully they will get it fixed up for ya and you'll be back lookin' good in no time :D and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that something like that doesn't happen to ours.

#13 ·
It almost looks like that spot might be an attachment point for the bumper to the body. Looks really tight right there but not so much just to the right. It could be that it was fastened too tightly at the factory and caused the paint to split slightly.

Washing it and other things will cause it to get worse over time so that could be why you're seeing it now.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting it covered.

#15 ·
Well, the paint isn't peeling anywhere else on the car. If I washed it more often, I may have seen it before now. Just went out and looked at the other side, and the paint is wrinkling in the same spot! But hasn't split yet.

It appears it's an adhesion problem. I called the dealer and taking it over there after lunch...30 miles away! (thanks for that GM)

#23 ·
I sure hope all the comments on this post about "repainting the whole thing" don't mean repainting the whole car???
Looks like the paint just didnt adhear to the facia piece and that was a fastening point, that happens sometimes, I'm sure they can just repaint the facia, and it'll be good as new. It sucks it happens, but at least its a seperate piece. Just make sure that the dealership body shop is good....no offense to any of the sponsors here, but alot of the Chevy dealerships I know, I wouldnt trust to paint a Matchbox car, let alone a 2010 Camaro piece....

#26 ·
For those in the know...

Is the rear bumper cover painted by the manufacturer like the front fascias are? Either way GM will warranty it- I'm just curious how many of the exterior pieces are painted by their manufacturer(s) prior to delivery to Oshawa. Front fascia, gas door,..... etc...

#29 ·
Apparently, they're going to refinish the entire fascia, not just spot paint it. So that's what they told me at the dealer. The problem is the fasteners draw it too tight and the paint starts to split. The new fastener kit to fix it spaces it out a tad to keep it from pulling too tight.

Luckily (depending on your perspective), they don't have a body shop anymore, and use a vendor just down the road from them that's been in business for over 40 years. They do good work there, as they paint street rods, etc., and just about anything on wheels. I was sorta relieved to hear that. But we'll see.

#35 ·
Don't know how I missed this thread! At first sight it was obvious to me that it was pinched and rubbed. The 2007 Malibu was the first one that we had major issues w/ body gaps. It is a tough problem to have, but it happens when the body panels are so tight. Hopefully the dealership there can take care of it. If you need any help from me, let me know!

#37 ·
I'm thinking they are having, or had a problem with paint adhereing with the bumpers. My bumper and numerous others have had that pinched / peeled effect in the rear bumper.'

This worries me if this will come back to bite us in the ass later down the road after our warrenties expire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.