Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea why but this whole economy thing and Camaro this and that has worn my patience thin. It's a virtue that now seems far gone to me even in these times.

Maybe I'm just ranting because I need to get this off my chest or to just garner attention.. Blah.

Anywho; I dunno how the rest of you guys here do it. Those of you that haven't ordered and are waiting; how do you cope with being either Camaroless or the like. I don't know about anyone else here but the wait is just putting me in the crazyhouse and every time I see one on the road or on a lot it just hurts.

It's just so close and yet so far.

Seriously.. how do you guys cope?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Wow man this thing is really stressing you out! lol,

To be honest, I almost made a thread like this today, I am finally starting to miss driving a car. Oh well, not much you can do right now I guess. :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
I know how you feel.
I still have a whole semester of college ahead of me. I need to get A and B on all my classes, if not no camaro :( I did pretty good last semester but like you said, It's just so close and yet so far.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
:(

I really need to get a job. And move out. I have a huge list of priorities, and unfortunately, Camaro is pretty low. If I had to list them at the moment, it'd go something like

1. Get a job
2. Move out of parents place
3. Finish college
4. Get a steady career
5. Get some cheap project car
6. If I can finally afford it... Camaro :/

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
:(

I really need to get a job. And move out. I have a huge list of priorities, and unfortunately, Camaro is pretty low. If I had to list them at the moment, it'd go something like

1. Get a job
2. Move out of parents place
3. Finish college
4. Get a steady career
5. Get some cheap project car
6. If I can finally afford it... Camaro :/
Good plan :cool:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'll lend you mine when I'm in PA this summer. Just don't park it near your jinx mobile.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
You just have to prioritize. I also think it's something called COMMON SENSE.

I did the whole "must have a car" thing, and I went very broke because of it. That happened because I put everything else on hold because I "couldn't wait." That meant putting off college because I needed all the money I could get to pay for a car. Unfortunately, that also meant working at jobs paying less than $10/hr. Heck, when I had my '00 SS, I was making like $7.50/hr and living at home. Talk about a stupid idea.

Now I've realized what I could have at this point if I would have simply put my pleasures off just a little longer. I'm 26 and just in my 2nd semester at school. I have none of the "toys" that I thought would make me happy forever -- but I'm still paying for them! Meanwhile, my friends who did "the right thing" have more now that I did when I jumped right into the "fun" stuff.

Fortunately, I had a great opportunity when I lived in DC, so I could pay almost all of my bills off (sans about $3000) AND I bought my GTO. Of course, moving back to PA and going back to school, I had to prioritize. I still have the funds that I could go out and get a 5th gen, but I know that I can't right now.

Another thing to take into consideration is if you're struggling just to get a car, how are you going to afford the regular maintenance, gas and insurance? Then it comes down to how are you going to afford to modify the car? Once you get a car and you get around car guys at cruises and stuff, you'll want to start modifying, so don't even say that you'll "leave it stock" -- that's bullcrap.

So, you just have to keep telling yourself that the wait will be worth it. It's very difficult, and it kills me each time I see a car going down the road, or watch something on TV. It's even harder in the spring and summer time when everyone is out at cruises and the track. But, I know I'll have another one when it's SMART to do so. Meanwhile, I will hop on moderncamaro.com and live vicariously through everyone else :cool:

My list is:

-Get married in June and go on our honeymoon to the Caribbean.
-Purchase our first home
-Get my 2002 Camaro SS (under $15k purchase)
Those things will be done in 2010 (the SS will happen no later than spring 2011)
-Finish school
-Get a 5th gen Z28
Those should hopefully happen in 2012ish
-Start popping out some kids! :lol:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
well here goes my list...

* Drop to 175-180lbs (This Summer)
* Work on my degree, Get my GPA up
* Get my motorcycle license (This Spring)
* Get a clean 5 speed Thirdgen
OR
* Get a clean 5 speed Fox
--By this time I should have my degree and have 1 year to myself before the academy.
* Bulk to 200lbs
* Get something a little newer? <--- probably not
* Cop Time

I bet any money this will change completely.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here's where I am:

- Finished College 12/19/09 (3.32GPA)
- Working on my FAA liscenses (800 bucks)
- Working to find a job that pays 9/10 bucks an hour (lowes, local ford dealer for detail/part time sales/parts stock, Best Buy)
- Budgeting out my student loan payments should an FAA job not pop up for a year or so.

And that's the real possibility. In my industry they're calling for 3 years minimum experience on aircraft as a licensed mechanic. I have.. zip. Economy killed my chances at an internship. I honestly don't mind living with my parents because they need help around the house with their still hectic schedule. And I get free food and rent; something I sorely missed while in college.

I'm also single, and pretty much plan to be for the forseeable future.

So in the end, aside from paying for exams which my parents still insist on helping me pay for; I really have no expenses. Truck is paid for outright, titled and insured under my dad to save us all some money. So at this point the only thing I'm working on is getting a job for moneys sake and going from there.

And I'm not expecting to be hired as a mechanic for a few years just because of the way the industry is. I may even end up looking into racing/performance car/truck markets due to my training. I'm just at a crossroads in the middle of the night and my headlights went dead.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're an aircraft mechanic? I think the problem is that you should have gone to the military rather than a generic school for that. You would also have 4 years of experience doing it as well.
I wasn't fit mentally or physically for the Military. History of anxiety and depression. So I had to go this way. It is what it is.. and it hurts.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I wasn't fit mentally or physically for the Military. History of anxiety and depression. So I had to go this way. It is what it is.. and it hurts.
Well, I saw in your other thread your schooling explaination. I am just thrown off that you'd only be making $30k/yr for 4 years in school!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Starting pay in most cases for A&P mechanics is 13-15/hr. 40hours a week, 52 weeks.. 31,000/yr.

No vacation. 2400/mo before taxes. Probably 2000 after taxes. 500 taken out to pay back loans. Another 500 to pay decent rent. 300 for cable and utilites, 200 for food..

Leaves 500 for gas and whatever else. That's also not including paying for insurance if I decide to go it alone. Then 0. Does that pay for a Camaro?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish you the best of luck. It's a shame those tech schools charge so much money when the return is extremely minimal.
Yeah, short term returns kinda suck, but it's where you go from there that depends on what you make of it. So right now it's stress out time; same thing for most rookies in the industry. From pilots to mechanics.. those first few years are gonna be kraft mac n' cheese and gatorade. :/

Hence the whole thing about getting the LT1. Something that I'm willing to cruise as is because that thing was comfy as all get out. I'm not one to do some hard core racing. Not now and not for the next 5-10 years. I've got nothing to prove. I want to have fun. :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get a Camaro if you insist on a LT1. IMO, '95 is the best year if you want to modify beyond bolt-ons. '96 or '97 if you're not looking to do much. Of course, I would try and save up just a little more and get a LS1 car.
I know; the T/A is in such good condition which is why I'm considering it. Granted it's going through an independent inspection but I just liked how it drove.

But hey, it's still no 2010. And you never know; I could enter a contest and win one or something tomorrow that would render this whole argument moot. Or an LS1 could pop up in similar condition and render the LT moot.

But ya gotta take it one day at a time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Honestly, I deal with it with my Mustangs. I know I know "But it's a Mustang!" But I've done a lot of work to one of them and it's quite quick.

Sure I'd love to have the new Camaro, but it's just not in the budget. Unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts