Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this. If **** near every dealer is asking over MSRP for these cars, someone is still buying them. I don't think they would ask over sticker if they weren't getting it. What do ya'll think? Anybody know anyone that paid over sticker?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These things are scarce in the Houston area. They usually don't last on the lot longer than a couple of days

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I've been thinking about this. If **** near every dealer is asking over MSRP for these cars, someone is still buying them. I don't think they would ask over sticker if they weren't getting it. What do ya'll think? Anybody know anyone that paid over sticker?
Thanks to OverAnxious I hear tiny violins playing in my head every time this thought occurs to me.
:5go:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Where did you hear '**** near every dealer is asking over MSRP for these cars'

If anything, the majority of dealers are selling at MSRP.
not really, in my area, out of the 40 or so dealers(might be slightly exaggerated lol) , only 2 are selling at msrp. from Va beach to Richmond va.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Because of the fact that I'm still waiting for my car (and now all this M6 BS), this morning I poked around a little on cars.com for something close to what I ordered within 75 miles of me. I'd rather wait for my order than pay .01 over sticker.

So far, I got one response back...it's 2k over sticker because "they stopped making the M6" and "it's going to be a long time before you'll be able to order an M6, maybe not even until next year".

Around here at least, I think more dealers were willing to take pre-orders at MSRP, but now that some dealers have cars on the lot, they are marking up because they are seeing the high demand...and I guess they are getting it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
After they get every pre-order built, and after people waiting in line with allocations start to subside, they'll start building dealer's inventory. This will be the point that supply will catch up to demand, and then when they slow down flying off the lots, the markups will go away.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Maybe it's a psychological thing, but I've never understood paying what, like 5 up to 10K over sticker for a car when you don't have to. Let's say your SS MSRP is 37K. Local dealer wants 5K over sticker, and now wants 42K. Scotty says he got the exact same car in and will sell it for 37K. Take 2 days out of your life, buy a $200 plane ticket to Cedarburg, buy maybe 100 bucks worth of gas or so, and save $4700 or so in the process for the same thing. You know how many mods that $4700K will buy? But NOOOooooo. Not thinking, Mr. Checkbook tells local dealer OK and pays more than they should. Because it's right there. There's drawbacks to going out of state too, but usually not $4700 worth. Besides, a nice long drive home in a new Camaro would be therapeutic.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just for chits and giggles, I pulled into a Chevy dealer that wanted MSRP+ $1,000 to order a car for me in May. Parked right in front of the sales manager's window, gave him a thumb's up, walked to parts, and checked on their pricing for wheel locks. After hearing the pricing on wheel locks, I left quickly. :lol:

I know they're still getting idiots to pay a premium, but it still felt good.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Maybe it's a psychological thing, but I've never understood paying what, like 5 up to 10K over sticker for a car when you don't have to. Let's say your SS MSRP is 37K. Local dealer wants 5K over sticker, and now wants 42K. Scotty says he got the exact same car in and will sell it for 37K. Take 2 days out of your life, buy a $200 plane ticket to Cedarburg, buy maybe 100 bucks worth of gas or so, and save $4700 or so in the process for the same thing. You know how many mods that $4700K will buy? But NOOOooooo. Not thinking, Mr. Checkbook tells local dealer OK and pays more than they should. Because it's right there. There's drawbacks to going out of state too, but usually not $4700 worth. Besides, a nice long drive home in a new Camaro would be therapeutic.
Please understand I am just voicing an opinion and am not looking to start a volume long arguement. I paid $1,000 over MSRP for my 2010, the paper inside the glovebox recomended $2995 over, he said $1,000, I traded my '06 300 SRT-8 in, now I've only had the car for two years, dealers make money on trades, as they should, numbers are numbers, did he knock the extra $1995 into my trade, I have no idea. Its a supply and demand theory. Most people that trade a car in are going to take a hit on it, thats the nature of the beast. Now do I agree, walking in a dealership with no trade, no resale for the dealer, and paying 3,4,5K over, no I dont. But I well understood that the Camaro are hot now, I wanted one, and I could never sit and wait 6-8 months for one, they had what I wanted and I bought. I bought my wife a new Enclave last year, when they first came out, there was no budgingon the price, now one year later, I see 2,000 rebates, GM points and all that stuff. The 2010 Camaros are new and they are hot, some dealers will sell at MSRP, some may not, I love my new Camaro and still fell at $1,000 over, I'm driving it now and I'm enjoying every second. Sorry, just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Please understand I am just voicing an opinion and am not looking to start a volume long arguement. I paid $1,000 over MSRP for my 2010, the paper inside the glovebox recomended $2995 over, he said $1,000, I traded my '06 300 SRT-8 in, now I've only had the car for two years, dealers make money on trades, as they should, numbers are numbers, did he knock the extra $1995 into my trade, I have no idea. Its a supply and demand theory. Most people that trade a car in are going to take a hit on it, thats the nature of the beast. Now do I agree, walking in a dealership with no trade, no resale for the dealer, and paying 3,4,5K over, no I dont. But I well understood that the Camaro are hot now, I wanted one, and I could never sit and wait 6-8 months for one, they had what I wanted and I bought. I bought my wife a new Enclave last year, when they first came out, there was no budgingon the price, now one year later, I see 2,000 rebates, GM points and all that stuff. The 2010 Camaros are new and they are hot, some dealers will sell at MSRP, some may not, I love my new Camaro and still fell at $1,000 over, I'm driving it now and I'm enjoying every second. Sorry, just my 2 cents.

I certainly won't knock you...it's your $$. I am jealous that have your car and I don't. But I'd rather spend my $$ on other things (like headers, exhaust etc ;)). I'm spending enough on the car already...can't see going over sticker.:(

·
Registered
472 Posts
$1,000 is not an insane amount to pay if you want the car, but the dealer I'm talking about was consistently in the $3-4K over for everything they sold, which probably included ordered cars that people backed out of, and may have even lost their deposits for all I know......
People paid it too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Actually they'll go away real soon - if they don't move them, they ain't getting any more of them :)
a little off topic but maybe you can answer this scotty, I have been told by 2 dealers now that they have a camaro on their lot that they "bought" from another dealership and they have to sell it at 5k over because of that fact :lol: is there any truth to that? sounds like a bunch a bs to me, why would a dealer sell a HOT car to another dealer and not make any money on it? :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Almost every dealer in the Valley (Phoenix area) is going $5k over MSRP including Pre-orders. Supply and demand gives them free reign.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only reason i got mine for MSRP was because salesman told me they had 3 more of the exact same car coming in. I got lucky and love the car. $32000 for 426 hp is a hell of a deal! I paid $30,500 for a new ss in 2001!

·
Registered
746 Posts
$1,000 is not an insane amount to pay if you want the car, but the dealer I'm talking about was consistently in the $3-4K over for everything they sold, which probably included ordered cars that people backed out of, and may have even lost their deposits for all I know......
People paid it too. :rolleyes:
No I didnt think so either, I guess the way I look at it is its under $20 a month difference in my payment, its the car I wanted, the color I wanted, and I can enjoy my summer. Like I said, I'll be kicking myself in a year or two when they have $2,000 rebates, but I guess thats part of the game. Now would I have gone 3-4 over...I would say not.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts