Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pedders has been working on a special Camaro project. There is some information we can post in the forum and other information we are not allowed to post until it is released officially by GM. Based on the car that was displayed at the Woodward Cruise last week, we can release this information.

FRONT SUSPENSION

Front Geometry

Front Strut, Coil and Boot

Strut, Endlink and Tie Rod

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
REAR SUSPENSION

Trailing and Radius Arms

Forward Sub-frame Bush

Aft Sub-frame Bush

Coil Over Shock

Sway Bar, Endlinks and CV Shafts

There is no wheel hop in this chassis as is common with IRS vehicles. We can tell you that the IRS is robust. The front suspension slightly modified from the ZETA / VE / Commodore G8 with essentially stronger control arms designed to handle more power with larger wheel and tire combinations. The ZETA II Camaro may well be the most structurally sound vehicle in the GM line-up exceeding the strength of the 322 / CTS. Keep in mind the CTS is as strong or stronger than the alleged best of the best coming out of Europe.

The Camaro as delivered from the Dealer will be the the best of the Modern Muscle on the road and with modification to the engine and suspension capable of of running with anything short of the exotics. There is a reason Chevy built the ZR1. It is called the Camaro.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have my G8 at the September 19th event in Indy. I'll take at least a couple of Camaro enthusiasts for street legal demos in my four door Camaro. The Camaro will have the advantage of larger rubber. The new Camaro will be a phenomenal ride.

· Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I'll see you in Indy as well Pete. I'll be wanting to take one of those demo rides.

I did talk to Jamie Smith at the Greenwood shop yesterday. Those people just operate at a different level. Totally 1st class.

· Registered
13 Posts
So it looks like the front suspension is going to be MacPherson Struts instead of SLA with struts like the 4th gen?? :BangHead:

The 4th gens used one of the best front suspension designs in the automotive industry, why the hell are they going to a Macpherson setup?? SLA is much stronger, durable, and more sophisticated. Its just a better design overall, and keeps the wheels better aligned under all conditions, especially in racing.

· Premium Member
3,867 Posts
So it looks like the front suspension is going to be MacPherson Struts instead of SLA with struts like the 4th gen?? :BangHead:

The 4th gens used one of the best front suspension designs in the automotive industry, why the hell are they going to a Macpherson setup?? SLA is much stronger, durable, and more sophisticated. Its just a better design overall, and keeps the wheels better aligned under all conditions, especially in racing.
Do you really think they would take a step backwards? I don't. I'm extremely confident that GM has chosen the best stock suspension setup.

8,984 Posts
Here's an idea:

Sway Bar mounts Solid mounted with Delrin bushing.

Splined main shaft.

Billet Arms Attached via endlinks.

It might not be needed, but....

Just a thought.

8,984 Posts
The 4gen had a solid rear axle correct? Just as the current mustang?
All Camaro's have has solid axles as have MOST mustangs!

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The 4th gens used one of the best front suspension designs in the automotive industry, why the hell are they going to a McPherson setup?? SLA is much stronger, durable, and more sophisticated. Its just a better design overall, and keeps the wheels better aligned under all conditions, especially in racing.

Excellent post and great questions.

The single biggest reason the 4th Gen has been such a special car on the track is engine placement. Every one who has turned a wrench on the low slung and far to the rear engine placement understand the good and the bad of that design. With the engine pushed so far to the rear the car is a track animal. The new Camaro will ride with a similar engine placement. Some magazines have tested the Pontiac G8 with two passengers in the front seat and found the vehicle to be balanced 50/50. So the new Camaro will share excellant balance that will be familiar to 4th Gen owners.

The Strut configuration is space and cost effective. Placement of the radius rod, control arm and tie rods create a virtual pivot point and provide excellant stability. This design essential places the pivot of the wheel directly in the center of the tire contact patch. The exceptionally long front sway bar endlinks connect high on the start. Because it is higher it is closer to the roll center. This is an effective design although we feel the endlink should be more robust.

Having tracked and autocrosses my G8, I feel I know the Camaro well before it arrives. There have been refinements to the front suspension of the Camaro to create ZETA II. They have worked on the refinement of the suspension design to make it suited to larger wheel / tires, bigger brakes and more RWHP. The refinements are small, but significant. The new Camaro will be a class leading vehicle. The level of ride quality that it will deliver will expand the Camaro market. The level of handling and control it will deliver will expand the Camaro market. The structural integrity of a ZETA II Camaro will not only expand the market as it will feel rich and solid, it will amaze the Camaro community.

Most of the reasons for the shared architecture are economic. Flexible platforms are the only way GM, Ford and Chrysler will survive. As a business decision, it is a no brainer. Even better for this community, you are going to find that what was based as a business decision delivers a product that exceeds your expectations.

· Registered
9 Posts
Pete, good to read your response. As a dyed in the wool German car guy, this Zeta II looks like the real deal in the hardware dept. The one answer lacking is regarding the V6 vs V8 front suspension parts. Naturally spring rates and dampening are different due to the weight difference, but are they otherwise identical or are there different stub axles and bearings? Most of the V6 enthusiasts want bigger brakes and not knowing the above leaves us wondering how hard it will be to rectify.

· Registered
355 Posts
Guys,

The eXtreme Xa coil overs have been a real hit. Pedders is taking orders for them thru tonight ad pete recently decided to offer them to the Camaro group. The price thru tonight will be $1311+. You cannot order these thru our web store. It will require a 15% deposit to secure them. If you are interested, you must call Deb at Pedders at 248-522-8021

Hope everyone has a great New Years and be safe!

last day to order!!
mike
dms

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.