Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This section needs to wake up :eek:

Anyone have any plans for their third gens? Mine needs paint and im getting ready to install a cam :yay:

seems like this section died after HB started posting in it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well, I've got a resto/mod planned for my 89 RS. I'm torn on the powertrain and drivetrain though.

I either want to mod the hell out of my 305tbi and have a 334tbi when I'm done with a Hughes 700R4 and built 10 bolt rear or an LS7 modded with a M6 short throw and Dana S60 rear.

The 334 leaves me to reuse alot of what I already have, but the LS7 is so much better I just can't say no to the idea.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even at 334ci its still smaller than a 350, you already know what idea i like better :p. i dont think ive seen an ls7 thirdgen.

Well, I've got a resto/mod planned for my 89 RS. I'm torn on the powertrain and drivetrain though.

I either want to mod the hell out of my 305tbi and have a 334tbi when I'm done with a Hughes 700R4 and built 10 bolt rear or an LS7 modded with a M6 short throw and Dana S60 rear.

The 334 leaves me to reuse alot of what I already have, but the LS7 is so much better I just can't say no to the idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I bought a disc brake rear end from a 87 IROC for mine. Also have new stainless steel brake lines for the rear end and a new ss fuel line when they send another one. First fuel line came in a 4 foot box. Line was folded and cramed (sp) into the box. I probably looked like a kid that his candy stolen when I opened the box.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
334 Stroker > 350

My plans:

Goal - high 13s.

how are 334 cubic inches better than 350 cubic inches?

you dont need to spend all the money on building a stroker out of an inferior motor to get almost as many cubic inches as a factory 350 motor when your goal is only high 13's.

are you DEAD set of building that 305? you sound like HBZ28

im just offering advice, but if you want to spend alot of $$$$ on building a 305 when you could spend a few hundred on a 350 block thats up to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with firechicken. Craigslist has 383's everynow and then for 1500. With the economy the way it is lots of racers are getting out. Great bargains to be had.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Paint, switching to black interior. I've got a LQ4 block on the engine stand and t-56 sitting around for it. But all this happens after I get my 5th gen.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I picked up a disc brake rear from a 99 T/A for mine...I gotta tell you though...The more I look at it in pieces the more I'm not sure if I wanna keep it. I may just start parting it out and bank the $ to get something better. I dunno...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 91 Z28 vert doesn't need a lot, I just replaced the heater core a couple weeks ago. I also replaced the pass. side window motor, and have to do the driver's side yet.

My 88 TransAm GTA on the other hand...has low oil PSI and knocks. It only had about 30k miles on a rebuild, so I'm gonna pull it out and rebuild the bottom end of it. It currently has TPI, and was converted to the 91-92 MAP management system. It will be a carb'd 305 going back in, Holly 600 CFM with an intake I have not yet decided on, and a pretty big cam for it to get that lopey idle and more power. May take the original 0416 head castings and port them out and add bigger intake valves if possible. Trying to do this on a REAL budget, not the fake ones car mags seem to always have in them, hey build this 400hp 350 for ONLY $3K!!! Yeah, like everyone has that lying around to spare. The carb was $20 from my neighbor, the cam/lifter kit is $90 through Summit, along with a 2 piece timing chain cover, the timing chain is a Zoom! piece that I got at a swap meet for $20 new. The distributor will likely be a reman or used one. I have a set of blue Taylor wires on my cert, they are there cuz I got them for free at a yard and are fine. May swap out the stock replacement wires on the GTA with the ones on the vert to get better ignition in the GTA since it will need it and the Z28 is all stock.

That car is gonna be a screamer when I'm done. And it's a 5 speed, which makes it even more fun. Coupled with the GTA digital dash and t tops, and I'm gonna have a lot of fun with that car....once the motor is fixed and built.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
My 91 Z28 vert doesn't need a lot, I just replaced the heater core a couple weeks ago. I also replaced the pass. side window motor, and have to do the driver's side yet.

My 88 TransAm GTA on the other hand...has low oil PSI and knocks. It only had about 30k miles on a rebuild, so I'm gonna pull it out and rebuild the bottom end of it. It currently has TPI, and was converted to the 91-92 MAP management system. It will be a carb'd 305 going back in, Holly 600 CFM with an intake I have not yet decided on, and a pretty big cam for it to get that lopey idle and more power. May take the original 0416 head castings and port them out and add bigger intake valves if possible. Trying to do this on a REAL budget, not the fake ones car mags seem to always have in them, hey build this 400hp 350 for ONLY $3K!!! Yeah, like everyone has that lying around to spare. The carb was $20 from my neighbor, the cam/lifter kit is $90 through Summit, along with a 2 piece timing chain cover, the timing chain is a Zoom! piece that I got at a swap meet for $20 new. The distributor will likely be a reman or used one. I have a set of blue Taylor wires on my cert, they are there cuz I got them for free at a yard and are fine. May swap out the stock replacement wires on the GTA with the ones on the vert to get better ignition in the GTA since it will need it and the Z28 is all stock.

That car is gonna be a screamer when I'm done. And it's a 5 speed, which makes it even more fun. Coupled with the GTA digital dash and t tops, and I'm gonna have a lot of fun with that car....once the motor is fixed and built.
You're going to ditch a great fuel injection system for a ****ty carb? On a 305?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're going to ditch a great fuel injection system for a ****ty carb? On a 305?
they arent really that great, but fuel economy will be better with the tpi.

I still dont get why anyone would want to build a 305 though, i mean 350 shortblocks are easy to find and it doesnt cost no 3k to build a 400hp if you know what your doing, especially on a carb engine.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1235506489.html
$150 for a 350 short block

a few hundered for a set of high compression ported heads

match it up with a custom cam for a couple hundred more

aftermarket carb intake like a air gap perfomer rpm couple hundred more

aftermarket carb a couple hundred more

reuse alot of your 305 stuff like valve covers

i bet you could make 400 hp off of $1500

·
Registered
206 Posts
Been thinking of getting some SFC's for my 3rd gen. My 3rd gen is all stock except for the GMMG exhaust, but I'm thinking SFC's might be a good mod since its a convertible!

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
they arent really that great, but fuel economy will be better with the tpi.

I still dont get why anyone would want to build a 305 though, i mean 350 shortblocks are easy to find and it doesnt cost no 3k to build a 400hp if you know what your doing, especially on a carb engine.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1235506489.html
$150 for a 350 short block

a few hundered for a set of high compression ported heads

match it up with a custom cam for a couple hundred more

aftermarket carb intake like a air gap perfomer rpm couple hundred more

aftermarket carb a couple hundred more

reuse alot of your 305 stuff like valve covers

i bet you could make 400 hp off of $1500
They produce more torque out of the box that an amature throwing an edlebrock carb on and calling it good EVER would. TPI's are torque monsters. You MAY get more HP with a carb setup, but you'll never feel the right "oomph" (keep in mind I'm only referring to the 305 here).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They produce more torque out of the box that an amature throwing an edlebrock carb on and calling it good EVER would. TPI's are torque monsters. You MAY get more HP with a carb setup, but you'll never feel the right "oomph" (keep in mind I'm only referring to the 305 here).
but it still only has like 230 FLYWHEEL hp, even the tpi 350s make only about 190 RWHP on a dyno....so the tpi 305's make less im sure. to get good performance out of a tpi you need to replace the tpi system, either with aftermarket parts, with an lt1 conversion or switch to TBI or Carb. Ive seen ppl dump tons of money into their tpi systems and only end up with 350hp. seriously with 2k you could have a fast, good running small block using a carb....but then you can replace the 10bolt and 5spd cause they wont take very much power.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
but it still only has like 230 FLYWHEEL hp, even the tpi 350s make only about 190 RWHP on a dyno....so the tpi 305's make less im sure. to get good performance out of a tpi you need to replace the tpi system, either with aftermarket parts, with an lt1 conversion or switch to TBI or Carb. Ive seen ppl dump tons of money into their tpi systems and only end up with 350hp. seriously with 2k you could have a fast, good running small block using a carb....but then you can replace the 10bolt and 5spd cause they wont take very much power.
TPIs can't breath. That much is a given, but on a 305 with stock heads, I don't believe there is a better fuel delivery method than TPI for reliability and numbers.

350s are a different game, and absolutely the way anyone with a 305 who wants big numbers should go.

My whole reason for responding to this thread is to let the kid with the 305 know that if he switches to carb and stays with a 305, he's not going to like what he gets. It'll be less responsive and slower, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a suggestion, and i havent seen it done but i know it can be, how about swapping in a pontiac 455? if you like torque they have plenty of it. then id find a t56 from 93-02 camaro or trans am and mat it to the 455....then you could make a ford 9" for it. that car would be a REAL pontiac powered pontiac, and it would be wicked fast, and it would be unique!

check out my 428 pontiac firebird i built awhile back!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5NZMzB7sww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic9dcLBZRLo

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree

TPIs can't breath. That much is a given, but on a 305 with stock heads, I don't believe there is a better fuel delivery method than TPI for reliability and numbers.

350s are a different game, and absolutely the way anyone with a 305 who wants big numbers should go.

My whole reason for responding to this thread is to let the kid with the 305 know that if he switches to carb and stays with a 305, he's not going to like what he gets. It'll be less responsive and slower, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been thinking of getting some SFC's for my 3rd gen. My 3rd gen is all stock except for the GMMG exhaust, but I'm thinking SFC's might be a good mod since its a convertible!
I believe subframe connectors should be on EVERY third gen especially the verts. maybe even a strut tower brace!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The dirty little unknown secret to making HP with TPI is to use shorter runners.

Read up on TPI at TGO. Alot of guys are making 400rwhp over there with TPI.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts