Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know in which states Police use laser guns to catch speeders? My radar detector is acting up and I'm trying to decide if I need a laser detector or not. I drive in FL, GA, and AL...:roxor:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
i think all states do but if u want the best buy a V1 detector
^^ I agree...I have one and it rocks. that said, don't worry too much about laser because, for the most part, if your RD is picking it up, you're are being hit with it...so it's too late.:mad:

·
Registered
157 Posts
all states use them.

illinois is tricky and they have radar cops stopped on overpasses and they radar the traffic passing below and relate that info to another cop on the highway/interstate your on.

nothings worse then being told "eagle eye" caught you speeding...

·
Registered
5 Posts
all states use them.

illinois is tricky and they have radar cops stopped on overpasses and they radar the traffic passing below and relate that info to another cop on the highway/interstate your on.

nothings worse then being told "eagle eye" caught you speeding...
Be careful because they use this same thing to catch people with radar detectors, not just for speeding. One cop will stand on an overpass, blip the radar, and look for brake lights. then tell an officer further down which cars hit the brakes.

EDIT: i guess this only applies to places where radar detectors are illegal.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
the V1 looks sweet, pretty expensive though, but if it works thats worth the money. Thanks for the input guys
it's worth the $$...just having the arrows to let you know where the signal is coming from is worth the $$.
You also have to figure in that it you can send it back for upgrades and tune-ups (not free...but no one else offers the same).

I hate driving without my V1.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Be careful because they use this same thing to catch people with radar detectors, not just for speeding. One cop will stand on an overpass, blip the radar, and look for brake lights. then tell an officer further down which cars hit the brakes.

EDIT: i guess this only applies to places where radar detectors are illegal.
I see those IL troopers pulling that stunt quite a bit! I stopped buying radar detectors many years back, I seemed to get 10x more speeding tickets with a radar, than with out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
^^ I agree...I have one and it rocks. that said, don't worry too much about laser because, for the most part, if your RD is picking it up, you're are being hit with it...so it's too late.:mad:
Correct. A lot of the time a driver has no clue the beam has even "painted" their car until they have been stopped. Since the beam of the laser is so narrow and not a "fan" like the K or Ka bands.

To aim the laser unit you use a red dot on the unit much like an electronic optic on a rifle. Meaning... if you have a detector and are painted, you're screwed. The officer has already noted your speed and distance and they obviously know which car was speeding since they had to place the laser's beam on a specific car they deamed to be travelling over the limit.

They can help you know when you've been painted with the laser... but as far as warning so you can "hide," ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
it's worth the $$...just having the arrows to let you know where the signal is coming from is worth the $$.
You also have to figure in that it you can send it back for upgrades and tune-ups (not free...but no one else offers the same).

I hate driving without my V1.
In avoiding just a couple of tickets it'd pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I try not to go 7-8 mpg over on the highway and 5 mph over on city streets.

Works most of the time and used with my V1 keps me out of trouble.
This is basically my approach, too. I use my V1 as an enhancement, as an auxilary indicator, rather than as a license to speed. There have been enough times on Interstate when I've gotten a "blip" in time to take my foot off the gas (or drop off cruise-control) and lose a few MPH a second or so before cresting the hill or rounding the bend -- and a few times when the guy in front of or behind me didn't -- so that I know it paid for itself. I've picked up sparkles of laser in time to respond, too, but that's rather rare (usually its a solid painting...)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cops in states where detectors are illegal, have radar detector detectors. When they get next to a vehicle with one it will light up. They pull them over and then fine them.

Virginia, NC, SC sometimes use planes to catch speeders. The white lines on the road and they time how fast it takes you to get between them. It's called VASCAR.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Years ago a friend had a device used to test radar detectors, it sent out a radar signal. Hate to say it but it was fun to click it as someone flew by in the fast lane, you knew very quickly if they had a detector or not. Dont know how a radar detector, detector would work since AFAIK the detector is exactly that, it senses radar signals and does not put out any signals of its own. Maybe someone else is more knowledgeable about this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A radar detector detector (RDD) is a device used by police in areas where radar detectors are declared illegal.

Radar detectors are built around a superheterodyne receiver, which has a local oscillator that radiates slightly. It is therefore possible to build a radar-detector detector, which detects such emissions (usually the frequency of the radar type being detected, plus about 10 MHz for the intermediate frequency). Some police radar guns are equipped with such a device.

·
Premium Member
6,274 Posts
...and we have radar detector detector detectors now too.

The race continues....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Radar detector laws by state
The use of a radar detector in a passenger vehicle is legal in all states with the exception of Virginia, Washington DC. and while on military bases.

In Canada, the only three provinces that allow their use are Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

Many overseas countries also ban their use, such as Portugal, Finland and Spain.

In areas that radar detectors are illegal, law enforcement use a device called the Spectre that is able to detect the use of radar detector in your car or truck. For more information on the Spectre, click here.

Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.