Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn it.. I was looking to pick up an used G8 ST in a few years. :mad: I'd still would have liked to see Chevy bring these over to the US.

http://jalopnik.com/5124488/pontiac-g8-st-officially-dead-gm-kills-el-caminoagain

We knew it was on the bubble, but just moments ago, Pontiac told dealers they plan to kill the Pontiac G8 ST. Yup, GM's killed the El Camino. Again.

Really, ever since we saw the Pontiac G3, we kind of knew the brand was moving away from the direction the brand deserved to be and into...well...something else. We also knew the new coming of the El Camino was on the ropes. So the news today from our sources with knowledge of the arrowheaded brand's product direction wasn't entirely unexpected.

The General's recent cash problems only heightened the reality. We're disappointed, of course, but we were more disappointed when the news came out the pickup-truck-ized G8 wasn't going to get the El Camino name plate. Well, it's over. Guess we can cross the G8 ST off our list of cars we want to buy in the new year. We're going to go and hit up CraigsList

·
Resident GTO nutswinger
148 Posts
That is really a shame, would love to see more performance trucks out there ala lightning or srt10, but it was to be expected. What with the money troubles of GM, and the fact that they seem to wanna make Pontiac as the 'niche' performance division with only 1 or maybe 2 models it's not surprising this beast got the axe.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Im glad its gone. I didnt think it was going to even make it here.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I'm not terribly upset the utes didn't make it here. Would have been cool, but I like any hi-po rear wheel drive performance vehicle. Actually I have a real soft spot for all the G-body cars, but this one is just friggin badass! I present to you the Grand Camino!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'm not terribly upset the utes didn't make it here. Would have been cool, but I like any hi-po rear wheel drive performance vehicle. Actually I have a real soft spot for all the G-body cars, but this one is just friggin badass! I present to you the Grand Camino!:thumbsup:

^^^^^^ now that's badass.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts

Nice - is that a photoshop?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Thank goodness. Novel idea, but it'd be the way of the SSR. People will say how great it is - yet no one will buy it.

Nonetheless, there is no way that it should have been a Pontiac. Chevrolet could use a Holden vehicle (IMO, they should be making the next Impala on that platform), so it would have been fitting for them to get the El Camino moreso than Pontiac.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
GM kills the Pontiac G8 ST. Unofficially

http://www.automoblog.net/2009/01/07/gm-unofficially-kills-g8-st/

It seems like this recent hope of reviving old brands has a limit. The Challenger, Camaro, and other retro-styled cars have made it through, but the El Camino apparently has not. The new Camino, in the form of the Pontiac G8 ST, caused a lot of eyebrows to be raised when it was first released. After all, it hardly seemed to be the right vehicle for the times. And quite honestly, it’s not.

That’s one view. The other is that the ST (Sport Truck) is a viable, honest, and environmentally sound alternative to buying a bona fide pickup. Either one makes sense. We’re not too surprised at this, as GM is currently going through a crisis and is reorganizing its line-up, but we do think that the G8 ST would have been an interesting experiment, if not more.

Keep in mind that this is strictly unofficial: GM has made no statement yet on the future of the G8 ST. Expect this report to be true, however. Or not. Prepare to be surprised by the company that has done a lot of surprising things in recent years.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, that helped clear things up..:confused:

I guess we will have to wait a little more. I thought the G8 Sport truck was a good compromise for someone who mostly needed a car and the occasional hauling/towing abilities of a truck.

The Chevy versions looked pretty good too. IMO

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Doh I hope not like the OP I seriously planned on picking up a used one after the the camaro is paid for. I love the G8 ST/Ute whatever it's called. and if It was classified as a truck it would actually help with the CAFE numbers as well.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I remember reading some thingie a few days ago where this lady said the cancellation of the G8ST and G3 are permanent.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
it has t ocome down in price..like the SR it is to much..

heck all trucks are too much cus they want them to be trucks AND cars..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts