Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting read. We just need GM to make it official.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/30/no-el-camino-for-you-pontiac-pickup-will-be-named-g8-st/

Mike Levine over at Pickuptruck.com has managed to scoop a tasty nugget of info about the Pontiac-branded ute that will soon be for sale in the U.S. The Aussie-import based on the same platform as the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan will be called the G8 ST, as in "Sport Truck".

That pang of disappointment you feel is the missed opportunity of paying homage to GM's most well known car-based pickups and their colorful names: the Chevy El Camino and GMC Caballero. Rather than dubbing Pontiac's ute the "Tamale" or "El Camino Redux", we get a measly little two-letter suffix. Sigh.

Also of note is that the pickup will only be available with a 6.0L V8 and is likely to start around $31,000.

[Source: Pickuptruck.com]

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/gm/pontiac/ute.html

I'd take a black one.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Used...maybe.

Know what would be awesome? Is if they moved that into production into Canada when they move the G8 and it drops the price down..that would be nice.
Thats what I think will happen.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Thought that this generation of cars would stay in Australia. So what are you thinking 2011-2012? Later?

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Moving production isn't going to affect the price any.

I would think it'd be priced similar to the G8.
I assumed if it were built closer it would help cut cost and maybe allow for lower prices.:BangHead:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you desire a sport truck with power, there are tons of used SSR's for sale in the 20's that have 300 or 400 HP and the convertible top, unlike the ute! Nothing like the rumble of that V8!!!!! Exhaust note is pretty darned nice too! I will watch this one with interest. At that price, I don't see them selling too many of this version of the UTE. Wonder how the fit and finish is on the inside?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
If you desire a sport truck with power, there are tons of used SSR's for sale in the 20's that have 300 or 400 HP and the convertible top, unlike the ute! Nothing like the rumble of that V8!!!!! Exhaust note is pretty darned nice too! I will watch this one with interest. At that price, I don't see them selling too many of this version of the UTE. Wonder how the fit and finish is on the inside?
Cruzned, the Ute has a V8..and uses regular octane fuel. And doesn't weigh a metric ton and a half. :p
The interior is pretty much just like the Commodore/G8..except it doesn't have any back seats.
And yah, I would have been ecstatic with the 256+ HP v6 ute. It would have also been like $6000 or so cheaper. But $31,000 moves it from the "I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW" to.. "Bleh..I rather have a 09 Cobalt SS." :p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Loved the "Test" drive feature on the site. That's a really sharp looking outfit. Built a SS-V on Holdens site and Wow, total came up to $47,000. ofcourse there price down there.:lol:

Most likely the package would be extremely well built. I'm using my GTO as a reference. The quality of materials is very good as well.

Microsite:

http://www.evolutionendshere.com.au/

Ute PDF brochure:

http://www.holden.com.au//images/sc18_downloads/brochures/UTEVE0207_layout_FA.pdf

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one reference I heard was it was only going to be offered in V8 and no V6 versions. So it's L76 or LS3. I'd say the L76 but who knows.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
It's a truck version of the G8..it's a L76. It even says so on Holden's website.
Does it say that the G8 ute is a L76? I can't find anywhere where the G8 ute engine is confirmed.

I read somewhere that we are only getting the top version in the US, but I can't find that either and that is probley not confirmed.

The Hold version has a SS (L76 or whatever the holden versions have) and SS-V (LS2). The LS2 will be out of production soon and it has to be replaced with something. LS3 seems most logical to me at this point.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts