Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been wondering what my next mod will be. I have the Vararam no-tune CAI on the way...it should be here tomorrow. Outside of that I am considering a ported intake manifold. Preferrably V-Max. What do you guys think? I already did a bunch of research and it looks like an easy install. The prices are looking good. And I'm sure there will be some gains in hp/tq. Even if there are no gains I am still sure that there will be some when I go forced induction in the future. So it should be a nice upgrade. Thoughts??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do it! It's only $150 after sending in your core and dyno runs show a 10hp gain + better throttle response.

I just got mine installed in addition to my Cold Air Inductions CAI, Magnaflow Catback, and catch can.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your talking Port Vmax throttle bodies, I have them in stock.

send me an Email if your interested.

[email protected]

Phil
Not the TB, I already have one of those. I'm talking about the actual intake manifold...thanks anyway tho!!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Well I've been wondering what my next mod will be. I have the Vararam no-tune CAI on the way...it should be here tomorrow. Outside of that I am considering a ported intake manifold. Preferrably V-Max. What do you guys think? I already did a bunch of research and it looks like an easy install. The prices are looking good. And I'm sure there will be some gains in hp/tq. Even if there are no gains I am still sure that there will be some when I go forced induction in the future. So it should be a nice upgrade. Thoughts??
I've seen lots of conflicting info on the ported intake manifold. I was all for it myself, but after doing extensive research, I decided against it... Dig deep and read everything before you make your decision. It's been quite a while now though since I've done the research so I don't have links handy, but the answer you seek is out there.

While you made a great choice with the Vararam intake, you won't be able to use it when you do go forced induction unfortunately.

If you're willing to open up the engine and change out the cam, I'd say that should be your next mod... If not, how about some 3.91s? Just throwing out suggestions.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen lots of conflicting info on the ported intake manifold. I was all for it myself, but after doing extensive research, I decided against it... Dig deep and read everything before you make your decision. It's been quite a while now though since I've done the research so I don't have links handy, but the answer you seek is out there.

While you made a great choice with the Vararam intake, you won't be able to use it when you do go forced induction unfortunately.

If you're willing to open up the engine and change out the cam, I'd say that should be your next mod... If not, how about some 3.91s? Just throwing out suggestions.
I thought about gears, but I'm against it because I love the cruising RPMs. A mild cam is on my list. A buddy of mine is willing to assist me do the install. And since the stock intake manifold will have to come off anyway, I think that is when I will do the ported intake manifold. It's a shame that going the forced induction route will mean giving up the Vararam. Do you think it will work with a top mount supercharger?! Probably not...

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm just gonna go with a Fast 102 intake manifold. It's too much of a hassle trying to find a decent priced core...and then I'll have to ship it out and wait 2 weeks. I might as well just spend an extra $200 and get the Fast intake.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Fast 102s are a waste of money unless you are running massive power. Go buy you a set of 3.91 gears and call it a day. It's the single best mod you can do to these cars for under $1000. And cruising rpm doesn't change much.

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Fast 102s are a waste of money unless you are running massive power. Go buy you a set of 3.91 gears and call it a day. It's the single best mod you can do to these cars for under $1000. And cruising rpm doesn't change much.
+1

Chapel, weren't you going to get a supercharger one day anyway? Depending on which route you go, both the FAST intake or even the ported stock intake will be useless to you then... Better off just going with the gears. You'll love them.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

+1

Chapel, weren't you going to get a supercharger one day anyway? Depending on which route you go, both the FAST intake or even the ported stock intake will be useless to you then... Better off just going with the gears. You'll love them.
I'm not looking at doing any gears. I like cruising at 65 MPH and 1500 RPMS. If I do the gears then I will save it for last. My goal is to do a cam and heads after the ported intake manifold. And then I will go with a centrifugal blower. But right now I can only do simple mods because I don't have a garage to work in. All my work is done in my parking lot. So a ported intake manifold will come in handy eventually. I'm just getting it out of the way now. And I'm sure there are some noticeable gains. The LS3 is a big engine with high compression after all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My car cruises at [email protected] And it's 3.91 gear. The performance increase you might get from doing half the stuff you listed for upcoming mods can be had just by doing gears. I think maybe you need to do a bit of research. And 3.91s are cheap now, you can get the 1LE pack and installation kit from a Chevy dealer for about $500 or less.

I know you've probably made up your mind, but here's two very educated people telling you a intake manifold on your car is money wasted, especially if you are just gonna install a supercharger anyway.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car cruises at [email protected] And it's 3.91 gear. The performance increase you might get from doing half the stuff you listed for upcoming mods can be had just by doing gears. I think maybe you need to do a bit of research. And 3.91s are cheap now, you can get the 1LE pack and installation kit from a Chevy dealer for about $500 or less.

I know you've probably made up your mind, but here's two very educated people telling you a intake manifold on your car is money wasted, especially if you are just gonna install a supercharger anyway.
I'm not doubting the performance gains from a gear swap. I have it on my list...it is further down on my list but it is on there. Its just that I can't do it now. I don't have the tools and even if I did I still can't do that kind of work in my parking lot. And the going rate for labor around here is $500-$600 dollars. So it will have to wait until I get a house with a garage.

I do have made up my mind on the intake manifold, as I already have the core that I bought off Craigslist on its way. I bought it this past Wednesday and it should be here this Thursday. So there is no sense in not going through with my plans at this point. It would be money wasted if I went with a top mount supercharger. Because they replace the intake manifold anyway. But I am not going that route. I never really liked the roots/twin screw style. I want a centri style blower, like a Vortech. In which case the ported intake manifold will show a considerable gain over the stock one. Also considering that I will be using an aftermarket cam and heads, the stock intake manifold will be the restriction if I were to keep it. And like I said, it's all part of an as yet incomplete picture.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey it's your money. Spend as you see fit. And I myself would never attempt installing gears myself. It takes quite a bit of knowledge and even then you can get it wrong and have to redo everything all over again. I don't care if it cost $1500 to install, I'd take it to a mechanic that I know could do good gear installs and one that stood behind their installations. Unless you like replacing whining gear sets.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey it's your money. Spend as you see fit. And I myself would never attempt installing gears myself. It takes quite a bit of knowledge and even then you can get it wrong and have to redo everything all over again. I don't care if it cost $1500 to install, I'd take it to a mechanic that I know could do good gear installs and one that stood behind their installations. Unless you like replacing whining gear sets.
I'm pretty confident I could do it if I had the tools and the space. There isn't much I wouldn't try to do. Heck, I'm gonna do the cam and heads myself. And if things go my way, I might even build myself a stroker. It really isn't all too hard if you take your time and do it right.

But I gotta ask, are you absolutely sure your cruising RPM at 65 MPH in 6th gear is 1500 with 3.91 gears? Every chart I've seen has the 3.45 rear in 6th gear on the LS3 with manual trans at 1500. The 3.91 should be at just over 1700 RPMs. I calculated it a few times to be sure. And the auto trans would be even higher. Are you certain you're at 1500? Because if so then you have 3.45s.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I forgot that the 1LE has a different trans gear set than standard. But yeah I'm about 1500 @65mph. And I would highly suggest you do a tremendous amount of research before attempting gears yourself. It's a lot harder to get right than a cam install or heads.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Coyote how much was the install for the gears??

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
$43,000 lol. They came in my car since its a 1LE optioned car. Also come with a slightly different gear set in the trans as well.
lol nice! well how much for an install otherwise?

·
Registered
334 Posts
lol nice! well how much for an install otherwise?
With parts and everything, I'm betting a good installer would charge more than $1000 for an install. But if its done right, it's well worth it. No whining, no damage to gears or parts from incorrect installation, no having to get it redone...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts