Modern Camaro Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I was doing the photo shoot on a 2010 Camaro SS this past Friday, we noticed some cracks forming at the upper corners of the grille. The tech that was assisting us during the shoot said that those happened during a top speed run earlier that week. The car achieved 155 mph, and apparently it lifted the upper part of the nose enough to form the cracks. I'm not sure if this problem has been addressed, or even mentioned before. Surely it can be something that GM can fix by adding more bracing perhaps, or a thicker nose molding. This 2010 SS was a production car, only a week old, so this concerns me.

It might not be a good idea to do any high-speed runs in your new Camaro, at least until we understand the problem and how to fix it first.

UPDATE!!!!!

I've been away from the computer most of the day. During that time, I've been informed that the nose on this particular Camaro was a super early production piece, slapped on to get it out the door sooner. GM already knows about the issue, and supposedly it has been taken care of on other cars. Something about a support not being bolted correctly, it wasn't clear what the solution was without seeing the car in front of me.

Anyways, it appears they have a solution. I'm going to re-edit the first post to include this update.

UPDATE!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thats interesting............there seems to be some decent frontal airflow that can move throught that front end to feed the rad so its surprising that its backing up and lifting the front end.

Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Howard

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I wonder how many CTF & preprod vehicles were seeing those speeds to see if this is a problem across the board?

Wow. Brake weights and cracked bumper covers. I am sure they will pull through to get this stuff fixed, but I'm now glad I waited.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet it was someone thinking the front opened and tried opening the hood that way...
Please tell me you are kidding. You can see the hood, it isn't hidden by any means. This shop builds 1,200 rwhp Vipers for a living, opening a hood isn't some highly technical event. I even got it right the first time I tried.

·
Registered
267 Posts
While I was doing the photo shoot on a 2010 Camaro SS this past Friday, we noticed some cracks forming at the upper corners of the grille. The tech that was assisting us during the shoot said that those happened during a top speed run earlier that week. The car achieved 155 mph, and apparently it lifted the upper part of the nose enough to form the cracks. I'm not sure if this problem has been addressed, or even mentioned before. Surely it can be something that GM can fix by adding more bracing perhaps, or a thicker nose molding. This 2010 SS was a production car, only a week old, so this concerns me.

It might not be a good idea to do any high-speed runs in your new Camaro, at least until we understand the problem and how to fix it first.

Are any of you guys actually going to try to hit 155 mph? I wouldn't worry about it!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tony I realy don't think that most cars are built to run 155 Miles per hour. While I am sure there are a few people that think that their cars should live through anything it would be hard to duplicate every scenerio that people will subject their cars.

The retro design cars Mustang, Challanger and now the Camaro are not aero like your Z06 or your Viper. There is a trade off when it comes to the retro design.

I am sure that the aftermarket will step up with a fix for those few people that wish to run their cars that fast.

My Nova has a open grill as per the rules of the class. At 180 miles per hour it was trying to rip the front of the hood off. It lifted the leading edge to almost block the hood scoop. We installed some additional support and dzus fasteners and now all is good.

Robin

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Regardless of the question as to whether or not anybody will see 155 mph in their own cars, there is an apparent problem that should be addressed. Tony, is it structural (full crack in the fascia) or just the paint....it's hard to tell from the pics? Maybe the fascia needs to be repainted with more flex additive?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Or maybe GM needs to remarket with two advertised top speeds -- one with & one without parts breaking off? :lol:

If this was not a fluke occurance, seems likely that there will be a re-engineering, a TSB on early cars (before the VIN when the design chage takes effect) and dealers will do the fix to any car that displays the problem...

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Yea...I thought about that, too Brian. Can you imagine how many 'law abiding' citizens will be showing up at the dealerships with these tell-tale cracks of high speed tom foolery? :D

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
If it is structural (as it looks), I'd worry that even without hitting anywhere near 150, after a few years of "spirited" driving, this could happen to anyone's car...as it seems like a weak point in the nose.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yea...I thought about that, too Brian. Can you imagine how many 'law abiding' citizens will be showing up at the dealerships with these tell-tale cracks of high speed tom foolery? :D
Personally, my first mod is going to be to have the electronic speed limiter changed to 70 MPH... :rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If it is structural (as it looks), I'd worry that even without hitting anywhere near 150, after a few years of "spirited" driving, this could happen to anyone's car...as it seems like a weak point in the nose.
Very true. Remember, though, that air drag has a second-order relationship to velocity, so the force at 150 is four times as great as the force at 75.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Think about how it would react in strong head winds.

Saying it's not a big deal because people won't go 150 is a crap excuse. There are many who will use a car to it's potential and not just stroke it with a detailing cloth. There will be people hitting that speed in just a quarter mile.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.