Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Camaro order includes the dealer installed rally stripes. My dealer is balking at that idea. He was pretty much up front in saying he wasn't sure if they could do a good a job as the factory. He told me of trouble with installing stripes on a corvette before. He started saying that he could give me the stripes and infered that that I or someone else install them.

I also asked them if the stripes were warrantied for the 3/36 factory warranty. They never gave me a positive answer. You know how they can talk and talk without saying anything! I left that day without any resolution as I figured there is time to work this out.

Anyway, any suggestions to ensure I get a good stipe job? I know if I'm not satisfied with their work I am entitled to a restripe. I can just see the whole situation getting ugly...

Maybe they can farm it out to someone else.

Larry

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
in my experience, most dealers would use a body shop for that sort of thing...I would at least hope.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would never have ANY dealer do work like that.
Buy the stripes, request they keep them in the box when you take delivery.

Have someone local recommend a GOOD decal shop and pay them to do the installation.
I suppose that would work if I can find a shop and can get a good warranty from them. I'll have to see who does good work in the region.

See if you can get a discount on the stripes since the price includes dealer installation. :p
Absolutely! If I can get a labor quote from a shop, I feel that's what the discount should be.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had a huge issue with hood decal on my car and the dealer. It was sent to a bodyshop of the dealers choosing to replace the hood decal. The shop obviosly didnt care and ruined the first decal an put the second one on so crooked that I got a new one and had another shop put it on.

Moral of the story? Always pick your own shop I guess, and never let the dealer touch your car after you buy it.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I've seen good and bad dealer installed stripes. Knowing the quality and reputation of your dealer should drive your final decision. If you are in doubt, have a good body shop already lined up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All dealers have a shop to do various body work, dents scratches and stripes. Do you think all cars get to the dealer in perfect shape? NO. My sons shop does our local Chevy fixes. He was laughin that he would have to put my stripes on.

If you order them and they aren't right when you go to pick your car up, don't hand over $40 grand. Watch how quick they will make it right.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I just dont understand why you guys are paying 360-510 for strips when you can go to a good shop and get them a lot less than that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just dont understand why you guys are paying 360-510 for strips when you can go to a good shop and get them a lot less than that.
Well, to get them to look factory, a decal installer would need to see an example. That's out of the question at this point.

Also, I would like to be assured that the vinyl is the same quality as factory provided stripes.

I feel safer getting the stripes from the factory. Of course, that's assuming the dealer installed stripes are identical to factory ones. I would hope so.

·
Registered
149 Posts
+1 I would not even consider an aftermarket stripe. Most of the time the vinyl will be cheap **** that wont last 2 years before it starts peeling and coming off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts