Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready to take a 5,000 mile trip here in a couple weeks and if anyone has advice on things to get inspected and checked before i go on this trip please let me know them.

my car is the L-99 auto trans V-8. It has 36k miles

I plan on getting the oil changed before the trip but any other advice and tips for the trip are greatly appreciated. im traveling from Ft. Worth, Texas to Salem, Oregon for a wedding.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Wow...sounds like lots of fun! You seem to have your bases covered ok but might make sure you have the tire foam and pump in good working order just in case unless you somehow have a spare for the front and back at the same time.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I drove from here in San Diego back home to East Texas last month. It was a spur of the moment deal so I didn't get to plan too much in advance.

However, I would recommend checking all your fluid levels and bring a bottle of your favorite windshiled cleaner with you. I hate trying to clean the windows with those truck stop squeegees!

Be sure to stop often and stretch your legs and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I do the Hot Rod Power Tour every year the first week of June. Of course traveling 3500+ miles in a 1967 Camaro is a lot different than traveling in a 5th Gen. So, our inspections and check list are going to be completely different.

For you, I'd take the car to your local Chevrolet Dealership and have them do a full inspection while they service your car. It's part of the requirement, and if anything is low; I.E- tire pressure, windshield washer fluid, antifreeze....ect, they will fill everything up. They will also inspect your wiper blades, along with your tires. With your car being so new, I don't see a reason for you to worry about anything else.

Good luck and have fun!! Enjoy the drive..... :thumbsup:

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
All of the above ^^^

Just to reiterate....Emergency kit, definitely.

Things to check:
Tire pressures.
Rotate tires and make sure lugs are torqued.
Check brake pads.

I would think about doing the rear diff if you haven't yet, not necessarily because of the trip but because you're getting close to the limit on it. I'm at 48k, and I just did mine, and it was nasty. Still probably the original stuff in there.

I use the gas station squeegees to do the initial cleaning, but then use my own glass wipes to finish it off, and get rid of the leftovers from the squeegee tracks.

5k miles is a looooong trip, be safe, and if you feel the slightest bit tired, pull off and wake yourself up!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I agree with everyone else. And I'll add that you should monitor the gauges for overheating. Also, avoid texting and talking (unless using Bluetooth). And make sure you have a good music mix with you. Take pics along the way and post them when you're back!!

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
Bring a nice "seat cover" for the passenger seat!
Don't forget to bring drinks along. (N/A of course)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts