Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to put down $1,000 down for my Camaro. I will be able to take one of the cars that will be in the dealer's order for their inventory and specify the options I want on that particular car. That will be around October, according to the dealer owner.

But, he won't have prices until February!!! That's about the time the cars would be in. I'm not too comfortable ordering a car sight-unseen without prices. I think he just doesn't know much much he will want to sell them for, not necessarily the invoice. He could jack up the price to anything he wants.

Anybody else special-ordering a Camaro? Do you know what your dealer is saying on prices?

Larry

·
Registered
199 Posts
just put in writing at the time of deposit - DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE!! OR TRANSFERABLE!! or better yet BOTH! that way you can sell if you like on ebay and make $$$$

personally I'd rather have the camaro.. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm ready to put down $1,000 down for my Camaro. I will be able to take one of the cars that will be in the dealer's order for their inventory and specify the options I want on that particular car. That will be around October, according to the dealer owner.

But, he won't have prices until February!!! That's about the time the cars would be in. I'm not too comfortable ordering a car sight-unseen without prices. I think he just doesn't know much much he will want to sell them for, not necessarily the invoice. He could jack up the price to anything he wants.

Anybody else special-ordering a Camaro? Do you know what your dealer is saying on prices?

Larry
If you put down a deposit like that your making a big mistake, what you need to do is wait until Dec and go through the special order process from a reputable dealer, then you can order a car exactly how you want it and pay only the MSRP, w/o mark up.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I think the stealership is 69ing you. You should have gotten in writing that, at the very LEAST they will sell you the car at MSRP.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts

Larry
Lets look at this....

1)$1000 down, no prices.
2)An order in October
3) Prices in February

Problem with #1: How many cars can this dealer order? Well, he doesn't even know - no one does. This means they could have 100 deposits, but may only be able to order 5 in the first round of orders. No MSRP or less guarantee? OK, so this opens the door for added mark up.

Problem with #2: This is a lie. It appears this dealership has not followed any of Chevy's news on the car. Pricing and allocation will be available in December. Orders can be placed in January, with production staring in February. This means cars will be delivered late February or later.

Problem with #3: Prices in February....So, based on their demand, they will set their own pricing? Pricing will be posted up here by ME as soon as I get the information, so you'll know EXACTLY what "MSRP" is on your car, with option prices too.

Yes, you can place a deposit. It will get you a car when they can order one. this could be March, or June, or September 2009....all depending on the number of deposits they have. :BangHead:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your info Scotty!

Here's what the dealer is telling me:

So far, nobody else has placed a deposit yet. When the dealer puts in their first order, my car will be on that order and will be among the first ones on the lot around the February time frame. So, even if there are more deposits/orders than inventory, I will have my car at that time.

I will ask them if they will put in writing a MSRP limit. They also said the deposit is refundable if the total cost comes to more than I can afford, or if I can't get what I want. I'll ask to have that in writing too.

BTW, is the info on pricing availability dates, production startup dates, and ordering dates, available to the public? I'd like to be able to show that to them.

Larry

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Thanks for your info Scotty!

Here's what the dealer is telling me:

So far, nobody else has placed a deposit yet. When the dealer puts in their first order, my car will be on that order and will be among the first ones on the lot around the February time frame. So, even if there are more deposits/orders than inventory, I will have my car at that time.

I will ask them if they will put in writing a MSRP limit. They also said the deposit is refundable if the total cost comes to more than I can afford, or if I can't get what I want. I'll ask to have that in writing too.

BTW, is the info on pricing availability dates, production startup dates, and ordering dates, available to the public? I'd like to be able to show that to them.

Larry

Not a bad deal - we allow a deposit refund right up until delivery...meaning, if there are issues (delivery damage, etc) you are not forced to take a car that will already need "warranty" repair.

As far as date information - they really should know where to find it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your only concern is being the first one to have a Camaro then you’re going to pay for that one way or the other, either in cost or style. If really know what you want then its best to have it properly produced for you. In the long run you will save money and be much happier with the end product. For the majority of those I see posting here it’s my opinion that you’re all better off going through the proper process in Dec of placing a "regular special order" and waiting 3+ months for delivery in the spring. Because those deposits are going to used be for standard factory shipments to the dealership it will have little value or effect on speical orders. What will happen is that when the dealership gets in a Camaro they will tell you take it or leave it and you will have not choice but to continue to wait on your special order, while they earn free interest on that 1000.00 you gave them.
What's the rush.. all of us have already waited 3 years whats another 3 months?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your only concern is being the first one to have a Camaro then you’re going to pay for that one way or the other, either in cost or style. Because those deposits are going to used be for standard factory shipments to the dealership it will have little value or effect on speical orders. What will happen is that when the dealership gets in a Camaro they will tell you take it or leave it and you will have not choice but to continue to wait on your special order, while they earn free interest on that 1000.00 you gave them.
According to the dealership owner, he said when he puts in their first order, my car will be on that order and when the cars comes in, mine will be in that shipment. I sure hope that will be the case unless they are flat out lying.

Am I expecting too much here?

Larry

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Because those deposits are going to used be for standard factory shipments to the dealership it will have little value or effect on speical orders. What will happen is that when the dealership gets in a Camaro they will tell you take it or leave it and you will have not choice but to continue to wait on your special order, while they earn free interest on that 1000.00 you gave them.
What's the rush.. all of us have already waited 3 years whats another 3 months?
If they have a deposit, I would HOPE they ask the customer how he wants his car.

Every car or truck we get on our lot, we build ourselves with the options & colors we want. If a CUSTOMER places a deposit to order, the CUSTOMER states the options & colors, or how he or she wants their car to be built, and thats how the car is submitted to Chevy. So there really is no such thing as a standard factory shipment.

So, you really have a deposit to have a car built to your option specs. :patriot:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have no deposit down on the new Camaro, but I gave my word to the General that I would purchase one. :patriot:

SF
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts