Modern Camaro Forums banner

Programming Keyless FOB HELP

17K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sellmedog 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Camaro SS and I had to replace my FOB, which was the only one that I had. My keys are separated from it due to the factory recall. is there anyway I can program this keyless FOB myself? Or does that HAVE to be done at the dealership?

#2 ·
Depends. Does the old fob still allow the car to be started? If so, you can start the car with the old one, wait 30 sec, turn the car off, immediately place the new fob near the ignition switch and start the car again and wait 30 sec before shutting it off. Some material says you can just turn to the "on" position instead of starting but I had a friend that actually had to start the car for it work....

If the old fob is not recognized by the car at all, you are screwed and need to have it programmed by the dealer or if you can find a locksmith that has the component to do it....

#4 ·
View attachment 43225

View attachment 43233

Here, maybe this will better clarify. So you can visually see that the FOB is not attached to the key, which made me title this thread Programming Keyless FOB HELP
No clarification needed. Even with a separate key and fob, the car still "looks" for the fob when you go to start it for security reasons. And as long as the old fob allows the car to be started then you can program the new one yourself in the manner I described....

#5 ·
So is the car starting contingent upon a FOB being present, rather than the key itself functioning with the internals of the black case? I have no current working FOB, thus the problem arising that I need to program this one. I'm looking for something like the old school on off remove radio switch key button on FOB sequence type of thing. If no such thing exists then I will have to take it to the dealer or a locksmith.

#6 · (Edited)
Well, I have never been in the position you are or thought to try starting the car without the fob in the car. Try it, that will answer some questions.... If the car starts without the original fob in the car then it sounds like the new key houses what is needed for the security check and that is what your car is now programmed to accept. Which would then prohibit you from programming a new fob yourself....

#8 ·
Just purchased a 2014 Chevy Camaro RS with 6000 miles fully loaded, every option available from a dealership in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, I live in Long Island, New York. Anyway the car came with one remote (with remote start) and two switchblade keys, separate from the remote, so 2 keys, 1 remote.
Dealer sent me a new key that has been cut key and switchblade remote all in one. I need to program the key and the remote, so the all keys on the remote work, remote start works as well as the key!
Saw this procedure in the owner manual, want to know if it this will work?
Insert your original key, already programed key in the ignition and turn to the ON/RUN position.
Turn the key to LOCK/OFF then remove the key.
Insert the new key to be programmed in ignition and turn it to the ON/RUN position within 5 seconds.
The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed.
Now is that just for the key or the key and all the remote function?

#9 ·
I bought a new key fob from Amazon and I already cut my key fob so I tried to programme it in my 2012 camaro but it didn't work cuz my security icon on my dashboard kept flashing on and off and I couldn't programe (I kept the car in on position for 20 min and it didn't stop flashing ) it cuz of that anyone can help me with it ? thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.