Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

These photos were taken recently at a meeting of the Camaro team and some Holden engineers.

What are they doing, you ask?

They're listening to different exhaust notes of cars on the market, to determine Camaro's exhaust note for the best sound.

Now THAT is paying attention to details. :cool: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I truly believe everyone who purchases a 5th Gen. should send a "Thank You" note to GM and those involved in the Camaro. :notworthy:

I know I will be. ;)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
This may sound a little "corny", but I keep thinking to myself that I'm just happy that THE CAMARO HAS RETURNED! :roxor: Having owned 5 Camaro's, and being fortunate enough to have my first car be a Camaro, I was really upset when it went away. And now it has returned! :roxor:

Everything eles is just icing on the cake IMO. ;)

·
Banned
57 Posts
That's cool, but how soon after we get one will we get an aftermarket exhaust? I've read that Porsche spends a ton of time designing the exhaust note. That's good to know GM is starting to do better R&D.

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
I don't think I'll ever get a different exhaust system if my Camaro ends up being my (fun) DD, as I think it will.

At this point the only aftermarket mod I can almost promise to myself will be wheels (unless they decide to offer them in black from the factory :thumbup:), and maybe an improved sound system (for those moments when I'm waiting for someone parked :D).

Still, glad to see they really do care about the car being "just right." The more "just right" it is, the more it'll sell, and the less of a chance there will be that it will go away again. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Hmm nice. They did the same thing with the GTO and I can say I like the sound of it stock as well. Oddly the 04's sound a little deeper though. Hopefully the Camaro will be close to if not just a tad deeper and louder than the GTO.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The V8 exhaust needs to sound like the car could kick your @$$ if it wanted to. You must fear it, yet be strangely drawn to it.

Hopefully that translates through those headphones. And hopefully none of those people in that room were thinking that they want to be able to drive this car quietly. If you want a quiet Camaro, you can get a V6.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The V8 exhaust needs to sound like the car could kick your @$$ if it wanted to. You must fear it, yet be strangely drawn to it.

Hopefully that translates through those headphones. And hopefully none of those people in that room were thinking that they want to be able to drive this car quietly. If you want a quiet Camaro, you can get a V6.
completly agree.

but i think 5thgen.org should like as a group send our thanks. send a poster with our signatures on it.... scanned ofcourse.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yeah! We need a poster made up of all of our "Jinx" pictures!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was planning on gettin a new exhuast system to make it sound better, but if GM is doing this, hell that might save me some $$. Go GM!

·
Registered
136 Posts
As much as I hope it sounds great from the factory I know i'll be changing the exhaust for performance gains. Headers, High-flow cat's, larger piping. Maybe I'll keep the tips.. lol

I just know my first 2 mod's will be tint and at least a better performing cat-back system.:roxor:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry if this is a repost or if you've all already seen it, but here's Scott's response to the pictures. If you don't know, it was a contest for a poster like in my sig.

AND WE HAVE A WINNER.............

There were a couple of reasons we put this contest out there.

Many of you have come up to us over the years and said "hey -- the new Camaro has to SOUND mean ......." --

Well -- I'm here to tell you that we agree!

That said, there is a Federal Noise Driveby Standard that every manufacturer has to meet. ( Exterior Noise Passby ) -- and the law essentially says that we must pass a commonized, repeatable test -- a series of sound measuring devices -- and that under no conditions can the vehicle create -- I'll use the generic 'noise' -- higher than 80db.

Now -- this can also impact tires as well! On many trucks, tire tread specs have had to change because some tread patterns will violate this standard.

Historic Tidbit -- take a look at some 1996 and 1997 Camaros or Firebirds with LT1 engines -- with the Automatic Trans -- note that the PRNDL does not include a first gear -- and the reason is that if you downshifted to first gear-- you would exceed 80db.

Second sticker content does not have to meet same limits as I recall.

There are a lot of engineers in that room -- as well as Tom Peters from Design -- and we were comparing exhaust notes on various entries that are available on the market today -- as well as a few we've got under development. We also listened (previously) to several 'historic' Camaros and Firebirds.

Exhaust notes are interesting -- you want some 'burble' and some "growl' but you don't want 'spitting' or 'whistle' -- and exhaust notes change based on interior noise -- driveby at cruise -- driveby at W.O.T. etc.....so we were also looking at graphs to determine 'sweet spots' and such.....

We want you to be proud of the stock exhaust that we offer on the new Camaro.

And yes, we want to make a Mustang owner green with envy.

(and yes, we know some of you will rip the stock exhaust system off in about 5 seconds and put an SLP loudmouth -- or a chambered -- or perhaps Corsa on your new Camaro.....)

The point? We DO sweat the details. More than you'd ever imagine.

The winner?

Well -- the first guess said something along the lines that we were listening to the LSx based engine. Not true. We were listening to competitor engines -- so JCAMERE94Z28 -- our friend from South Florida wins!

Jonathan -- send me your mailing address along with a telephone number -- and when I return to Detroit next week, I'll get that poster out to you!

Oh -- and for those of you who thought we were looking at commercials? We're not working on that as of yet.

Cheryl - John - Scott

1 - 20 of 42 Posts