Discussion Starter #1

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
That poor barrier! :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Please tell me it wasn't on the very first turn.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, it was several sessions into the day.
Turn 1 is a 90-degree right turn at the end of the front stretch, which is the fastest point of the course.
It's not a hard turn by any means, but it requires alot of braking power.
Either the driver got on the brakes too late, or there was a failure in the braking system not stopping the car fast enough.

FWIW: The car has already been replaced on the racing circuit by a normal Orange Challenger SRT8.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I had heard that he was trying to follow an WRX STi into the corner at the same angle and speed when he lost control. Unconfirmed, obviously, but that's the rumor.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wonder if the insurance company is going to insist on aftermarket parts? Oh, wait...There arent any F**KING aftermarket parts out yet.(too bad for the idiot ins. co. hahahahaha) Maybe the insurance company will total it and offer 2/3 of the value...yeah, that would be par for the course!:rolleyes:

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Update from Jalopnick

After putting the first Challenger in the fence yesterday, co-drivers Erich and Rob, design engineers for Chrysler, have returned to the circuit with a whole 'nother car. One Lap of America will be an exhibition run for them now, since you can't officially run for points once you've replaced your car—so now they're just in it for kicks. The orange SRT rolled into the paddock this morning at Mid America Motorplex in Pacific Junction, Iowa, and completed a perfectly respectable and wreck-free run out on the track.
Rob told me that they drove wrecked Challenger 200 miles in the shape it was in yesterday with no problems, getting 19 mpg on the highway. It's getting repaired at a friend's shop, and Rob confirmed that it'll likely be run in the Targa Newfoundland, Canada's version of the Mille Miglia. It's a good thing that race cars never die!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts