Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if when you put the auto in M which is sport mode,does the car start out in 1st gear or do you have to manually put it in 1st with the paddles? When the car is in D,it starts out in 2nd for gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
It stats out in 1st gear.....Now if you are already moving ( i haven't tired it don't know if it would mess it up) and put it in M mode i would imagine it would put it in whatever gear it was already in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have noticed that if you simply put it into m with out hitting the down shift paddle(when not moving) so that it displays first gear the car will continue to auto shift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have noticed that if you simply put it into m with out hitting the down shift paddle(when not moving) so that it displays first gear the car will continue to auto shift.
The only way it will display on the DIC what gear it is in,is by using the downshift paddle.If you just shift into M,the DIC just displays S for sport mode.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It starts in 1 I think. I usually drive in D, but when I get to a highway on ramp, I put it in S and turn off the radio. I love the sound of the stock V6, I know most of you guys don't, but **** I think it sounds just right for a V6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can shift into M ( Sport mode) and back into D anytime while driving-
I do it every day as I have some very large hills to go up / down on my daily commute to work- shifting into M and using the paddles ( buttons) to down shift to use the engine to control speed so I don't cook the brakes too much- plus it sounds mean when you drop back to 2nd down a 10% grade!

It will still autoshift if you put it in M until you use the paddles / buttons to manually shift - then you have to manually shift up / down unless - or just put it back in D :)

It may just be me, but it seems to shift a bit more aggressively when you put it in M vs. D and just let the autoshift do it's thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I drive mine alot in Sport mode and every once in a while with the paddle shifters. If in Sport mode without using the paddle shifters....it should start out in first and stay in each gear longer(RPM). Actually it's great, you have 3 different options of driving mode..

Regular Auto

Sport Mode Auto

Manual Paddle Shifter

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do it every day as I have some very large hills to go up / down on my daily commute to work- shifting into M and using the paddles ( buttons) to down shift to use the engine to control speed so I don't cook the brakes too much- plus it sounds mean when you drop back to 2nd down a 10% grade!

It will still autoshift if you put it in M until you use the paddles / buttons to manually shift - then you have to manually shift up / down unless - or just put it back in D :)

It may just be me, but it seems to shift a bit more aggressively when you put it in M vs. D and just let the autoshift do it's thing.
It does stay in gear longer when in M mode if not using the Paddle shifters. I did not realize this until a couple of weeks ago. For a while I thought M was for the Paddle shifting only but realized that it drives in competitive Auto mode when in M :) Love driving it that way.....actually more than paddle shifting since it will let you almost redline it in M(sport mode) :)

·
Registered
729 Posts

I didn't read the rest of the posts following this one quoted above so this may have already been mentioned BUT IF you drop it in M and don't use the paddles THEN the car senses "how" you're driving, will drop gears for the sportier performance when you're "getting on it" or not and keep rev's down for your gas mileage "when you're not".....

·
Registered
729 Posts
I didn't read the rest of the posts following this one quoted above so this may have already been mentioned BUT IF you drop it in M and don't use the paddles THEN the car senses "how" you're driving, will drop gears for the sportier performance when you're "getting on it" or not and keep rev's down for your gas mileage "when you're not".....
wow, I was the last post up to now lol. Again, it stays in gear longer "if you are driving in a sportlike or competitive or aggressive mode" If you drive Ms. Daisy while shift selector is in M then it'll work your gas mileage for you and keep rpm's down........try it, although I don't get it to do it much either lol, usually I am driving it for it's intended purpose too, just like you:);) It's a Camaro, after all. Ms. Daisy needs to hold on, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts