Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question about fitting into a new 2012 SS. I'm a big guy. I'm about 6'2-6'3 and I weigh about 265. I was wondering if anyone around my size could give me an estimate as to about how much space you actually have in this car. Is it comfortable for you bigger guys and should i consider going with a convertible so that my head isn't always touching the roof?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Go try one on for size. A big and tall coworker wanted a Camaro soooo bad, until he sat in one. He felt cramped. I told him not to sit in a model with a sunroof, but he did anyway. He is still driving a truck.....ho hum!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
6'3", 275# - My first test drive was in a hard top back in January...I fell in love. The next encounter was "window browsing" and I sat in a sun roof model--It was impossible. Funny 'cuz I wasn't expecting it. I was like "What the hell?" after trying to fit in the sun roof with my shoulders touching my ears. The convertible top has the most headroom, but you're gonna pay more for the rag top (cost and insurance).

Well, Just bought my first 2SS yesterday and the only disappointing thing is that I didn't realize how bad the seat belt was going to torture and cut into my neck. Now I'm trying to figure out how to cope.

As for the size or "roominess"... It's a sports car.

I sat in a beautiful Corvette Grand Sport while doing the wait yesterday and again today after driving my 2SS for keeps last night and running an errand back to the dealership. I got in the Corvette again and realized "That's just the way it is." I'm getting used to it. The Vette was a vert with top down, but it was the same experience being in the driver seat with the belt on and door closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I realized that I wouldn't have the incredible amount of room like I have in my Silverado right now. I was just wondering if it was comfortable. Originally, i was planning on going with a convertible, but after hearing about all of these problems, I doubt i'll want to go through all the trouble. If i get a hardtop I want it to look like yours, bichin.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Yep, I get called "big guy" all the time, 6'2" and 290, and I never feel cramped in my 2010 (no sunroof). Even have room to wear a helmet at autocross events.

Hate the seatbelt, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I've always been called "Big Guy". Maybe it's because i'm at least 5 inches taller than everyone else in my family, i guess i stand out. Oh well, thanks for the input, i think i'm gonna go with a 2012 2ss/rs with a hardtop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well at 6'5" and about 350lbs I guess I chime in as the "real" big guy. I bought a hard top knowing that a sunroof was out of the question having been through this before with other cars and I'm not a convertible fan. I fit in just fine I wouldn't be able to wear a helmet in the car and every once in a while if I'm not paying attention and hit a good bump in the road I may bump my head. I will take it all day though love my car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
...If i get a hardtop I want it to look like yours, bichin.
Thanks BossMan. Lovin' my new Camaro. I was worried the first couple days after buying her. Since then, I've gotten the 9-inch seatbelt extension and it's made a big difference.

Before I found out about the extension, which you can get for free at your dealer, I found some relief with a seatbelt pad. I found a simple one at Wal Mart. The combination of seatbelt extension and the pad are nice, but the extension alone is more than adequate. The only tiny nit-pic negative about the pad is that Dallas is a little warm this time of year and the pad against warm moist neck/shoulder skin while wearing a t-shirt is a little itchy. The pad over a collared shirt is super comfy. When your skin under the pad is nice cool and dry, it's fine. I was looking for genuine sheepskin pads, I found a set on Amazon and they looked pretty shabby when I got them. I didn't bother putting them in the car.

As for bumping my head on the ceiling, it only happens when I go a little too fast over a speed bump or my body is not braced a little before the bump. Driving slow and easy over a speed bump is no problem and doesn't need body bracing. Plus, I'm sure my suspension appreciates it.

Wearing a helmet is going to be impossible, but that could be based on how thick the padding is in the helmet.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I sat in a 2011 Mustang GT, a 2010 Mustang GT, my Camaro, and a 2009 Challenger...I gotta say that at 6'2" and 230lbs the Camaro is a perfect fit. Soo much so that my 03 Mustang GT now feels super cramped...funny how I dealt with it for 6 years. My cousin is 6'9" and his only option is a Charger or Challenger. I felt that the Challenger was too big for me...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts