Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive home from work everyday I have to take the freeway. The freeway is literally about 100 feet from my driveway at work, so when I pull out of the parking lot at work, I am on the freeway within seconds. My question is...

Should I let my car warm up a bit before I get on the freeway?

·
Registered
338 Posts
General Motors did an experament a few years back and came to the conclusion that the best way to warm up an engine is to drive it at moderate speeds until it reaches operating temperature. This produces the least ammount of wear because the car warms up uniformly. I never wait longer with any of my vehicles than it takes for the idle to drop down to a reasonable RPM.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I drive home from work everyday I have to take the freeway. The freeway is literally about 100 feet from my driveway at work, so when I pull out of the parking lot at work, I am on the freeway within seconds. My question is...

They don't warm up the car in the assembly plant before it hits the chassis rolls for the end of line testing - I wouldn't worry about it unless its below zero out and if it gets that cold in LA you have other things to worry about!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think the only reason to warm a car up is to get the oil warm enough to do the proper lubricating of the engine and warm the tranny fluid. This is only necessary when it is very cold as it takes a little longer to "thin" out for best lubrication. Warmer climates shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
They don't warm up the car in the assembly plant before it hits the chassis rolls for the end of line testing - I wouldn't worry about it unless its below zero out and if it gets that cold in LA you have other things to worry about!
I would still wait for the rpms to get down close to the normal idle rpm before pulling out, if I were him.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts

I would let it run for a few minutes at most. Keep the speed moderate and consistent for a little while once you are on the freeway :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Owners manual says warmup is not necessary.

Will post reference in a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts