Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not knowlegable when it comes to an Independent Rear Suspension car as in performance wise. I know GM and everyone is getting more into the IRS for there sports cars in todays world. I know when it comes to road racing and stuff like that its GREAT. Drag racing im not sure how it is to be honest.

The new Camaro will have the IRS as we all know..... what can be done rearend wise as in aftermarket for these types of rearends ?

I havent seen any info yet or maybe I havent looked hard enough but what is the Camaro coming out with like gear ratio ? And will it be a limited slip or will it be Posi for like an SS.

I know these are all questions that will probably be asked in the next few months but I figured I would throw them out there anyways.

·
8,984 Posts
Well, I recently saw a video of a G8 doing a SERIOUS burnout with NO wheelhop.

Wheelhop has been a serious problem with the CTSV, that and breakage.

It is really no different than a typical SA as far as the third member goes.

Should have a good gear selection as well as a posi or locker.....

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im wanting a locker. I'm sure it wont come with one but that doesnt mean I cant put one in. Thats if you can. I'm just curious what they are offering from the factory.

·
8,984 Posts
I really doubt it would be a locker.

Posi, limited slip.

You either get a 3.27 or a 3.45.

·
8,984 Posts
Linited slip is standard on the G8 GT.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
wheelhop breaks corvette gear cases lol
I'm not worried about wheelhop in MY Camaro, because I can't afford the tires, I already go through a set of rears a year because of my autocross addiction. :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm not worried about wheelhop in MY Camaro, because I can't afford the tires, I already go through a set of rears a year because of my autocross addiction. :D
My theory is that I can make myself a set of drag slicks just be being a little firm with the right foot on my first set of tires ;)

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you use khumo's or do you pay the biggest bang and go with Hoosier's ?
I did SCCA autocross myself for 4 years lol I used street tires in kuhmo and then spent the money and used Hoosier's on the track.
I went through $hit loads of tire's and clutches back then hahahahaha.
Then I got bit by drag racing lost the 6 speed , grabbed the automatic and went through tires there as well.

Sheesh This dam sport is expensive lol

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I think the IRS is going to do well up to extreme conditions. The aftermarket will be there to step in with more heavy duty components.

I was throwing around the G8 today and was pleasantly surprised how well it did on 90 degree corners and overall ride.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Do you use khumo's or do you pay the biggest bang and go with Hoosier's ?
I did SCCA autocross myself for 4 years lol I used street tires in kuhmo and then spent the money and used Hoosier's on the track.
I went through $hit loads of tire's and clutches back then hahahahaha.
Then I got bit by drag racing lost the 6 speed , grabbed the automatic and went through tires there as well.

Sheesh This dam sport is expensive lol
Yeah it is. I can't afford the Hoosiers, so I run street tires. Used to use Kuhmos, but I found the Firestone Wide Ovals, they rock and are only about $10-20 more than the Kuhmos.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it is. I can't afford the Hoosiers, so I run street tires. Used to use Kuhmos, but I found the Firestone Wide Ovals, they rock and are only about $10-20 more than the Kuhmos.
interesting really ? hmmmm I guess firestone got better.
Yeah I usually only had 1 set of hoosiers for a season after that
I continued with Khumo !!!!! They are/were proud of Hoosiers
I just loved what they were doing for me and I couldnt resist.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Next month I'm co-driving a friend's car at the National Championships. 2003 Corvette Z06 on Hoosiers. Now THAT'S a fun time....

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i went threw 2 set of rears in 1 year in my 07 stang jeezz i bought some nice goodyears too o welll i will gladly burn my tires on my 2010 camaro rs/ss m6 any time:roxor::roxor: i got the hook up on tires and rims and lots of other stuff!!!

·
8,984 Posts
I went through 2 rears in one weekend! :)

wait, what are we talking about?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I already go through a set of rears a year because of my autocross addiction. :D
Your doing good then Hell I go through a set of rears in like 6 months just daily driving. Almost through set #2 on the GTO and I haven't quite had it a year yet. I can't figure out why my GTO and Camaro keeps going through rear tires ;).

As far as wheel hop goes I certainly hope it's much better than the GTO because mine hops more than a rabbit on meth.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts