Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I want to do two mods right outta the block. Corsa cat-back exhaust and an LMR CAI. Is it absolutely necessary to get a tune after doing these two mods? I know that with a tune, there will be more HP gains, but will the car run right if a tune isn't done after these changes? I will eventually get a tune if it's not necessary right off the bat, but I don't want to make these changes, then discover that the car runs like crap without the tune. I've read through just about every discussion on the mods, and some threads compare HP numbers with each mod and a tune at the end, but none of them really mentioned that a tune was required after the changes.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
No, it'll run fine without the tune. It might run better with, but it'll run good without. You'll still pick up HP.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
patriotpa is correct. ^^^

I have a question, however -- are you installing the mods you list for performance reasons or for "cosmetic" purposes? The reason I ask is because you would probably gain more from JUST a good tune than from these mods withOUT a tune. Just food for thought...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
patriotpa is correct. ^^^

I have a question, however -- are you installing the mods you list for performance reasons or for "cosmetic" purposes? The reason I ask is because you would probably gain more from JUST a good tune than from these mods withOUT a tune. Just food for thought...
Alittle of both really. I don't plan on racing street or strip at this point, but I plan on making a few visits to the local strip to check out the scene. If i get interested enough, I may start going to the track a few times a year. For now I want the car to stay pretty mild for a daily driver that looks and sounds good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As said, you will not be optimizing the potential benefit from the mods without a tune but you probably won't hurt anything with those changes either. They really are mild modifications and you should be fine.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am going to look at the CAI, Tune and putting on headers and everthing back. I just haven't picked the manufacturer until I see and hear some examples.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
OK, so I want to do two mods right outta the block. Corsa cat-back exhaust and an LMR CAI. Is it absolutely necessary to get a tune after doing these two mods? I know that with a tune, there will be more HP gains, but will the car run right if a tune isn't done after these changes? I will eventually get a tune if it's not necessary right off the bat, but I don't want to make these changes, then discover that the car runs like crap without the tune. I've read through just about every discussion on the mods, and some threads compare HP numbers with each mod and a tune at the end, but none of them really mentioned that a tune was required after the changes.
The data shows it can help a bit for sure, but the only "tune" i'm considering right now is the torque management delete/adjustment. To reiterate what another poster said, those mods can only help, they certainly won't hurt anything without a tune. The computer will make some adjustments automatically anyway to compensate for the increased airflow and O2, which can only be good.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
With the new photo restrictions GM has on the dealerships, will doing a computer tune void the drivetrain warranty? Just wondering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts