Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
mmmmm, is this a trick question?

can live anywhere really...staten island, NJ, Brooklyn, Queens, NYC.

Mass transit will get you pretty much anywhere down there.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the best cheapest place to live within an hour commute?

Here's the deal. I've been offered a job on Staten Island New York. It's a contracted position working for the US Parks Department Satellite Office on Staten Island. I would be doing contracts for the major area "federal" parks and monuments (you can guess which ones).

Here's the offer:
$75K/yr
$5K signing bonus
paid move

I'm concerned because currently I make 47K/yr. The wife is in the 35K/yr range, but the cost of living here is low (our 1800 sq foot home is currently valued at about 110K). I don't think the wage is enough to be considered a "promotion." Seems like more money, but in reality, I don't think it will be, so I'm trying to figure out if taking the job is worth it.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'd look in NJ (lower cost of living than NY)....It should be easy to find a decent area to live in within an hour...although I'm not all that familiar with that area, just stay as far away from Newark as you can. You'd want to try and live close to mass transit because rush hour traffic down there sucks.

There's plenty of NJ guys here, I'm sure someone can make some suggestions.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
NY/northern NJ homes and rent are EXPENSIVE compared to here in SE Michigan, not sure about AZ.

I think NY is more expensive than most area's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Move to Staten Isaland or New Jersey

I'm an Islander now for 20 years from Brooklyn, I'ld never go back. Staten Island is the nicest and cheapest place to buy in New York City, real estate wise. And if you can work in the same borough that you you live in, than you got it made. The other option is to commute from New Jersey. You'll get more for your real estate money, except for the annual real estate taxes, which are high, especially if you don't have kids to benefit from the public schools in those communities. Alot of new Yorkers have moved to Jersey, Manalpan comes to mind(sister). But that one salary here will never replace the two your getting in Arizona, no way, no how. The wife is gonna have to chip in. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
cost of living in LI sucks good luck sounds liek a good job dont know about SI but A few if our guys live in Jersey they dig it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't forget the high cost of car insurance, one of the highest in the nation, I say stay where you are, the cost of living in the NY metro area is crazy and on 75K you will need dual incomes.

Oh yeah and Gov. Paterson SUCKS!!

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Well it depends where you want to live... you want to live in a nice neighborhood would you rather live in the city or in NJ. I am NJ born and raised so i say live in NJ its a great state with great beaches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts