Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been poking around the site and between the new pictures Jinx put up and looking at the video of the aftermarket parts offered by GM, I started wondering.

Odds are, I am going to want to order my car. If there are aftermarket parts that I will want also, can I order those at the same time and have them installed when they build my car? I've never ordered a new car or even after market parts from GM, so I'm not sure how the whole process works.

BTW - Sorry for using a whole new thread for this, but figured there might be some other people who were also interested in this and thought it would be better than just PMing Camaro Scotty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am no dealer but in my experience dealers would do a factory order as a last resort. They will want you to take on off the lot or search for one that you want at another reasonably close dealership. I have never understood why since it seems to me it would cost them less to order one and have it immediately go out as opposed to have cars sitting on the lot but :confused: I have also noticed that they are more willing to deal on a factory order than a car on the lot.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
if you plan on getting your Camaro early on, chances are, the dealers wont have any just sitting on the lot, so you'll have to order yours.

As far as I know if you do want any aftermarket parts from GM, the dealers install them.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Scotty said before in another thread that there's more price flexibility in special orders. I'll see if I can find the thread.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember reading his thread where he said there was actually more room to negotiate when you order the car rather than buying a lot car.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get some of the add-ons at the same time I order a car...because I know once I drive it off the lot, I'm never going to want to take it back and "give it up" for a few days to let them put other options on it.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'm just wondering if it's possible to get some of the add-ons at the same time I order a car...because I know once I drive it off the lot, I'm never going to want to take it back and "give it up" for a few days to let them put other options on it.
also consider that aftermarket parts from GM are way overpriced and if you order them with the car, your paying interest on them as well.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I would expect parts to be available with the release. Yes, they can be ordered and put on the car before / at delivery. We do this with Vettes, Tahoes, etc...And I'd be happy to do it with the Camaro.

You're killing me with the overpriced dealer price line comment though....Now I'll have to work on a 5thGen.org Discount plan! I really should be hourly!!!! ;-)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome!!

Unless I can find a killer deal down here in DFW, I will most likely do a test drive and stuff down here then send my order your way!

Thanks for all the help and great info!

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
I would expect parts to be available with the release. Yes, they can be ordered and put on the car before / at delivery. We do this with Vettes, Tahoes, etc...And I'd be happy to do it with the Camaro.

You're killing me with the overpriced dealer price line comment though....Now I'll have to work on a 5thGen.org Discount plan! I really should be hourly!!!! ;-)
The problem is that dealers have been known to charge a LOT more for parts than regular auto parts stores. But it's not always. Sometimes they can have reasonable prices.

However, if you want some "aftermarket" stuff that GM offers to be installed at the factory, you are probably going to pay extra, but it'll be good quality, and installed. And initially there probably won't be a lot of competitors, so it would be really hard (and expensive) to get non-GM parts added on.

That's just my $.02. That and $5 might almost buy you a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Not to mention, if the aftermarket products don't live up to the quality, the customer usually informs the dealer, and they become a middleman to the original manufacturer. Sometime a bad aftermarket product can reflect on the dealership, although the only thing they did was install it.

I asked about this - Say exhausts...There's a lot of great exhausts...BillyB, Corsa, Magnaflow and more. We have seen issues with hangers on these not lasting long, and one of these companies took over two months to solve what should have been a simple warranty claim.

It's all offered and done, IMO, as a customer courtesy. But bad aftermarket parts can reflect on the dealer. Hopefully Chevy will have the manufacturers lined up for accessories, and most of the headaches will be gone.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
I agree on the aftermarket VS OEM thing...

Sure aftermarket parts might be cheaper, but they're not certified to OEM standards.
When was the last time you got 100,000 miles out of an aftermarket part?

I will happily buy GM accessories knowing that they will be OEM certified parts, and knowing that they've been tested rigorously, and knowing that they will LAST.

And quite honestly, GM Accessories & GM Performance Parts have been awesome on pricing lately....
For example:
L92 heads complete & assembled for $750
L76 intake with fuel rails & 90mm throttle body for $450
...the aftermarket can't touch those prices (at least not right now). :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have factory ordered my last 4 vehicles, 1982 Camaro Z28, 1996 K1500 Z71, 2000 Camaro SS, and 2004 Silverado Z71.

This is the only way to get exact colors and options that you want. In my case, the car or truck I wanted did not exist on the lot.

Sure, the dealers want to sell you an in stock vehicle, they get paid right away and they don't have to deal with folks ordering, then refusing delivery.

However, if you establish a relationship with the fleet buyer, you'll never have to talk to an ignorant, sarcastic salesman (or his boss). The fleet buyer is all business and will work with the customer on price. Just don't be arrogant with him, he deals with that every day and spots the people yanking his chain right away.

When I ordered my 2004 Z71 I solicited bids from area dealers over the internet. Turns out no one would beat the offer from the dealer closest to home (I wanted to buy from them anyway).

The truck was a bit over $31K MSRP, I was out the door for $26K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts