Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 Tahoe LT (Z motor) was filled with nitrogen and had new tires installed. MY question is does the nitrogen throw off the TPMS? Every time i start the truck i get the message service the montering system, or somethng to that affect. Is this something i have to take to a dealer to fix or can i do it my self.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
My 04 Tahoe LT (Z motor) was filled with nitrogen and had new tires installed. MY question is does the nitrogen throw off the TPMS? Every time i start the truck i get the message service the montering system, or somethng to that affect. Is this something i have to take to a dealer to fix or can i do it my self.
There's probably a reset procedure for when you change the tires, similar to the reset after every oil change where you have to depress the acceleretor 3X to start the 'oil life' counter.

I'll see what I can dig up and get back to you.:)

·
8,984 Posts
Nitrogen is lighter, but the pressure should read the same...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
From my understanding, you get free refills from the place you got the nitrogen fill from, but what if you need to put more nitrogen in your tires and you're on a road trip? Are you going to have to pay the closest "nitrogen-filling station" to put a few pumps in?

Is this new fad really worth the hassle?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my understanding, you get free refills from the place you got the nitrogen fill from, but what if you need to put more nitrogen in your tires and you're on a road trip? Are you going to have to pay the closest "nitrogen-filling station" to put a few pumps in?

Is this new fad really worth the hassle?
If i had my choice i would not have had it but the dealer would not let be get away with out it "it a mandatory thing we do" was what i was told. But from what i was told by a tire tech from tire kingdom you can just put air in and it wont affect it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If i had my choice i would not have had it but the dealer would not let be get away with out it "it a mandatory thing we do" was what i was told. But from what i was told by a tire tech from tire kingdom you can just put air in and it wont affect it.
This is correct.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
So, the point of putting the nitrogen in the tire in the first place would be? :cool:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
So, the point of putting the nitrogen in the tire in the first place would be? :cool:
Primarily, the objective is really either the elimination of water vapor for thermal stability purposes or the removal of an oxygen source for safety purposes, neither of which apply to the typical driver.

In a 10/10ths racing situation, knowing exactly how tire pressure will change as a function of tire temperature is sufficiently important to justify controlling the content of gas used to inflate the tires.

In aircraft, tires hold enormous quantities of gasses and effectively become oxygen sources in the event of a fire. Remember that what we generally call "fire" is typically "rapid oxydation" -- "rapid nitrogenation" is not much of a concern, you see... :)

There's a theoreticial advantage to filling your tires with nitrogen because it is less likely to cause degrdation of the insode of the tire or the contained surface of the wheel but this is kinda silly because the outside of the tire is exposed to "normal air" all the time! OK, so the inside might last a little longer but what does that really gain you???

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Primarily, the objective is really either the elimination of water vapor for thermal stability purposes or the removal of an oxygen source for safety purposes, neither of which apply to the typical driver.

In a 10/10ths racing situation, knowing exactly how tire pressure will change as a function of tire temperature is sufficiently important to justify controlling the content of gas used to inflate the tires.

In aircraft, tires hold enormous quantities of gasses and effectively become oxygen sources in the event of a fire. Remember that what we generally call "fire" is typically "rapid oxydation" -- "rapid nitrogenation" is not much of a concern, you see... :)

There's a theoreticial advantage to filling your tires with nitrogen because it is less likely to cause degrdation of the insode of the tire or the contained surface of the wheel but this is kinda silly because the outside of the tire is exposed to "normal air" all the time! OK, so the inside might last a little longer but what does that really gain you???
It gains me the absence of the threat of di-hydrogen monoxide poisoning that might occur if I were to accidentally inhale the tires' contents.:D

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I love it! Hadn't seen that site before.

Used to have an official-looking mock-MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for this dangerous chemical, and I LMAO at the Penn-and-Teller video where they're getting people at a rally to sign a petition...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I love it! Hadn't seen that site before.

Used to have an official-looking mock-MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for this dangerous chemical, and I LMAO at the Penn-and-Teller video where they're getting people at a rally to sign a petition...
video?? must find!!!:lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
"The largest study of its kind to date was undertaken by researchers in Montezuma, Georgia in November, 2008. A total of 317 people were surveyed and asked to sign a petition, with the results as follows:

Total people surveyed 317 100%
Signed petition favoring a ban 150 47%
Signed petition opposing a ban 167 53%
Did not sign petition 0 0%
Commentary
In this extensive survey of 317 subjects, the counter-intuitive result of a majority actually opposing a ban of DHMO was noted. Researchers feel that the educational system may be to blame for these results, while others feel that potentially it is a variation on Montezuma's Revenge. The study concluded that Dihydrogen Monoxide may be more critical in human's lives that is believed by some, so researchers are recommending that it not be banned at this time, at least until further studies can be conducted."

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts