Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone had issues with rattles? I noticed a rattle coming from under the car when I hit road cracks @ 800 miles on new 2012 car. Sounds like metal to metal to me. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they say they can't hear it. I think it's more like "Don't wanna hear it" Any idea's or what I should do next if dealer can't find it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't noticed any rattling so far after two years of ownership. My advice would be to have someone other than the dealership you purchased from check it out.
Ya, this sounds like a metal line that goes through the frame or something.
Pisses me off they burned 1/4 tank of my gas and never found anything driving it around.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Saw a huge thread on the "other" forum with the same thing. Turned out to be a pebble caught in the A-arm, and a few people had the same problem. Not sure about linking to there from here, so I'll PM you the ones I read if I can find them again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw a huge thread on the "other" forum with the same thing. Turned out to be a pebble caught in the A-arm, and a few people had the same problem. Not sure about linking to there from here, so I'll PM you the ones I read if I can find them again.

I listened to the video of the noise, my noise sounds just like that. Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
On my '10 SS coupe a nut came off the trunk spoiler and would rattle around from time to time. Dealer said they couldn't find it to get it out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my '10 SS coupe a nut came off the trunk spoiler and would rattle around from time to time. Dealer said they couldn't find it to get it out.
That sucks!

I just had my spoiler off yesterday to re-do my stripes and all nuts were accounted for.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i noticed a rattling sound on my new ZL1 the second day I drove it. I sounded like something rubbing against sheet metal. Only occurred at certain speeds. Turned out to be part of the wire harness that travels over the passenger side wheel well in the engine compartment right next to shock tower. There is a strap for the wire but it just won't plug into the hole that should accept it. What I suspect I was hearing was at certain speeds, air coming into the engine bay was causing the wire harness to move and thus rub agains the sheet metal. A piece of foam solved the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
From a dealer stand point, if we can't hear it we always have the customer duplicate the noise for the tech.. Sometimes easier to make sure the noise is actually heard. Take the technician at the dealer for a ride.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From a dealer stand point, if we can't hear it we always have the customer duplicate the noise for the tech.. Sometimes easier to make sure the noise is actually heard. Take the technician at the dealer for a ride.
I did that and I could hear it plain as day and head tech said he still couldn't hear it. My dad is almost deaf and can hear it. Sounds like an old truck when going over rough road. It's embarrassing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try tapping your brakes when you hear the noise......or slightly riding the brakes to see if it goes a way. Mine does the same or similar. Its my rear brake pads...I'm pretty sure. Havent had time to investigate. I've posted this issue and no one else has had the problem. When mine is making the noise and I hit the brakes you can actually hear the pads slap into place.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your imput. Here is the culprit.

Rock in the suspension

* If ya ask me, I think someone stuck the rock in there because it's too big to be picked up by the tires and the hole is too small for it to just drop in.

:5go:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a similiar noise once - it lasted for about 10 minutes, then stopped. Turns out there were a couple of small rocks that got lodged in the A-arm & eventually worked their way down so tight that it took wedging a screwdriver in pretty tight to pop them out....rocks are evil....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a hit & miss rattle on my 2012 camaro.. It ended out being the heat shield in the floorboard area on the drivers side. The catalytic converters are in that area. This may sound funny but the aluminum heat shield is a little thicker than the pan you cook a turkey in. Which does not have a metal to metal rattling sound. All i had to do was pull it down a little bit. Don`t pull it down too far. If you lay down beside your car by the floorboards you should be able to see it. Move it around & see if it makes your noise.. The passenger side has a heat shield too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember back in high school when we would put pebbles in peoples hubcaps! Those were the days. Now, that was not as bad as stuffing a potato up the exhaust pipe for sure!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a strange knocking/rattle every time I turn with any speed, on ramps are the most noticeable. Still can't find it!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a strange knocking/rattle every time I turn with any speed, on ramps are the most noticeable. Still can't find it!
I know that has to be frustrating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts