Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to be a new Camaro owner. However, considering the time lost to Mustang and the time still to wait for the Camaro I've made a decision to go with a Mustang.
I can go out tomorrow and buy a Mustang of any variety from mild to wild, the aftermarket is loaded with parts, magazines, and a tremendous following.
Demand and supply is ample and it's a simple matter of not wanting to go through the wait, the ordering, the hoping I can get one near sticker without the hassle of dealing with greedy dealers and on and on.
Any car guy knows what I mean no matter how loyal you are to Camaro. There is 2 worlds out there or will be if Camaro finally hits the street.
I hear the Challenger has 4,300 takers already and list is 44,000. Add 19,000 more over sticker and that's Corvette territory. ouch!!
It will also be on the street before the Camaro.
So if that makes me sour grapes so be it. I want a performance car now not two years from now.
Remember GM discontinued the Camaro due to lack of sales. They will be fighting gas prices, a falling economy, and the evil EPA constantly, in hopes the public buys enough v-6's to justify the building of v-8's.
And let's not forget the ever popular gas guzzler tax our government places upon our favorite cars.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Actually poor sales had little to do with why Camaro & Firebird were discontinued.
They sold 72,000 copies in 2002.... 10 years into an existing design, using a 25-year-old chassis. Not too bad.

The two biggest reasons it was discontinued are:
1. Ron Zarella, then CEO.... he wanted RWD cars to go away, and removed funding for all RWD car programs including Camaro and Corvette.
2. The existing chassis could not pass 2003 crash standards without a significant amount of padding and reinforcement that would've made the cars almost undriveable (and not too mention awful looking).

Camaro will be on the road less than 1 year from now, and there won't be huge markups because the supply of cars will be there (save for the first couple weeks perhaps).

Also, Camaro will likely not have a gas guzzler tax.
The Pontiac G8 does not, and Camaro should exceed those mileage numbers.

Of course they'll be fighting gas prices, the economy, and the EPA.... but so will every other car company and every other car.

It is true, you can go out and buy a Mustang right now.
But Camaro will be worth the wait. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ah, they're dropping like flies... you don't know what you'll be missing. :no:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good, please buy a Mustang... some people might get onto you about it, but it is good for the Camaro. The more Mustangs sell at this point, the more GM knows it needs to keep up with the car. If Mustang sales drop off, GM might worry that too many people are jumping on the Eco-hippie bandwagon. We need to show the enthusiast crowd is still strong. (That said, it would still be better if you bought a Trailblazer SS, G8, or even a Cobalt SS)
Also, in a couple years, you can trade up to a Camaro.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Remember this thread the first time a Camaro blows by you on the highway (or track).

Good things come to those who wait. At least go check out a G8 before jumping over to the 'stang (unless of coarse you can afford a GT500, then by all means, go for it).

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow, i cant believe this guy. You seriously cant wait 10-11 more months to get the greatest car ever made? what a joke. Get the mustang and you will regret it, i promise you will.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
There's nothing wrong with buying a Mustang.
As much as we like to poke fun at it (being Camaro people), it is still a great American pony car with plenty of power.

Yes, we all want the Camaro to be out sooner rather than later, who doesn't?
But it'll be worth the wait! :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have no idea how young/old this member is, but he reminds me of our current video game - myspace generation. I want it now! I have not had a camaro for 13 years. I will never forgive myself for selling my 69 :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :screwy: :BangHead: (all for emphasis), but it was not feasible to keep it then. From the moment I saw the new car, I knew that would be my next new car - and perhaps my last (new car). I have a daughter and my hope is that she goes not only to college but to grad school. She is 2 so this may be my last chance to buy something new.

As for gas, epa, and the p/c community - I fight this battle every day. I currently drive a Dodge Ram with a Hemi. I have done what I could with regard to performance, handling, and mileage - I am even thinking about the STS turbo that I found out about on this site ;). It costs me $85 bucks a week to fill that thing (at Costco no less) and I get about 300 miles to the tank. My new, fully loaded Camaro (and yes the magic number for me is 600 rwhp) will still get better milage than my truck - which I plan to keep for my daughter to drive (minus the turbo if I go that route) because I do not want her in a beer can when she drives.

Good things do come to those who wait. I have been saving a lot of pennies for this new camaro, and if it takes a little longer to get mine (the 2010 model) so be it. Just more time to save - something the internet generation knows very little about - earning and saving.

I make a good living, but I am not rich and I am not wealthy. For me, planning, saving and earning pretty much sum up my future. Whether it is for my daughter's education, my car, or the next "rainy day", all I can do is be prepared and be patient. This car is worth every penny and every day!

(Sorry for the rant)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You'll be back. They ALWAYS come back.

Right now the Camaro seems, and is, more surreal to most. The point is, it's not here just yet, but as time is coming closer to its arrival, more people are getting antsy, the buzz/rumors about engines and options and even SLP/GMMG versions are swirling. Being a realist doesn't mean you have to jump out and buy a Mustang, but if that's what you desire, then go have fun. Even some of the non-car people at work are coming to ME asking me about the new Camaro. Like I have the inside scoop or something! It's hard to tell them to wait, it will be worth it. But wait we must. Better to give it a bit more time and get it right than pull it off the drawing board one day and toss it into production the next.

It was mentioned the Challenger coming out soon. Good. Get the excitement going again. The cool guys always come to the party a little later than most anyway. The anticipation will once again rise, and GM is saving the best for last. The Challenger would probably rip up the Mustangs and the damsels in distress will wonder who could muster up enough strength to take on this Mopar beast...of course, the Camaro will be a welcome Challenger killer.

Once the Camaro hits the street and becomes an instant success, you'll see the plethora of aftermarket parts just like yesteryear.

I wish you could wait, but you gotta do what you feel is right. I'm waiting to put my hands on a showroom version. I want to look, feel, smell and hear one of these bad boys for myself. And then probably get a ragtop. I'm confident that GM will not let us down. I think this version will be a more versatile version than years past, and truly be a pal and comrade, just as the name suggests.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
For the third post in a Camaro forum, the OP is informing us that they will buy a Mustang. Wow. This is great.

Really,.......like I give a F***.

Now if it was a patron member then maybe I would care. But on the the third post........jesus. What's next are people going to tell me when they take a crap or something on here.

Note: I drive a Mustang. I could of chosen something better, but against my better judgment jumped on the ponywagon. Screw that. I like my Fords but I have to say the Mustang isnt keeping up the ante. Congratulations, if you by a GT or trim like it, you have bought a car that lays down about as much power as an old LT1. If you get a GT500, dont be surprised if a LS2 corvette with 100 less hp wipes the road with you. Yay. With that rant out of the way, enjoy the Mustang.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For the third post in a Camaro forum, the OP is informing us that they will buy a Mustang. Wow. This is great.

Really,.......like I give a F***.

Now if it was a patron member then maybe I would care. But on the the third post........jesus. What's next are people going to tell me when they take a crap or something on here.

Note: I drive a Mustang. I could of chosen something better, but against my better judgment jumped on the ponywagon. Screw that. I like my Fords but I have to say the Mustang isnt keeping up the ante. Congratulations, if you by a GT or trim like it, you have bought a car that lays down about as much power as an old LT1. If you get a GT500, dont be surprised if a LS2 corvette with 100 less hp wipes the road with you. Yay. With that rant out of the way, enjoy the Mustang.
Relax brother...with 3 posts chances are he may have wanted to ruffle some feathers. Why tell a community of camaro fans that you are interested in the pony. I can say the mustang is a decent car, it will get you from point A to point B and typical thats all mainstream america wants with a lil bit of flash. The mustang gives that to some... but it wont compare to the camaro, as long as I've been alive (which isnt very long) the camaro has always been a step above the mustang. Even a majority of mustang owners I have spoke with confirm that....but the mustang is typically a bit cheaper...especially now.

I am no mechanic or do I know the ins and outs of the history of the camaro. All I know is I grew up around them, and I loved them. I am in my early 20s so I have never been lucky enough to have my own yet, but I can say I have waited YEARS for the release of this vehicle. You have waited this long? You cant wait less than a year? Worse case scenario you have to wait till summer 09?

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I calls it like I sees it. lol. Ruffle all they want, it wouldnt be the first troll on here.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just for Jinx...BRB, I got to go take a crap....LOL

Ok, I'm back. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew where I went. Had to drop a Mustang off at the pool.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I liked the mustang too - that was until we got what I thought was a beauty 2005 in. Interesting feature called the FAILSAFE MODE.

For what ever reason, the car goes into this mode - well, lets just call it LIMP MODE - which allows you to LIMP back to your nearest FORD DEALER for repair.

Now, if the FORD dealer finds any mods done - your warranty will not cover the repair. Funny thing, a search of FAILSAFE mode & MUSTANG GT on a web search brings up many forums with many drivers with this issue, for MANY REASONS.....mostly people having fun with the car. Well, isn't that what a car like this is all about???? Ford must be thinking otherwise!

I'd say ENJOY YOUR MUSTANG, but I find it difficult knowing what I already know, to think ANYONE would seriously enjoy FAILSAFE! :BangHead:

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
They will be fighting gas prices, a falling economy, and the evil EPA constantly, in hopes the public buys enough v-6's to justify the building of v-8's.
And let's not forget the ever popular gas guzzler tax our government places upon our favorite cars.

Oh, by the way, I have yet to see a gas guzzler tax on a Chevrolet.

Corvettes avg 30 MPG with 430 HP, and even the Z06 gets 25. No tax here - you have us mixed up with Dodge.

I also am fairly confident the CAMARO will be MSRP or less.....Someone would be foolish to post an extra $10,000 on the MSRP as long as I'm a forum sponsor here!!!

There is 2 worlds out there or will be if Camaro finally hits the street.
I hear the Challenger has 4,300 takers already and list is 44,000. Add 19,000 more over sticker and that's Corvette territory. ouch!!
Corvette territory??? $63,000 ???? Where do you buy your vettes? 1LT vettes run about $42,000

It will also be on the street before the Camaro.
Happy meals are made faster than a porterhouse steak, too.

not wanting to go through the wait, the ordering, the hoping I can get one near sticker without the hassle of dealing with greedy dealers and on and on.

You don't follow this forum much, huh?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I also am fairly confident the CAMARO will be MSRP or less.....Someone would be foolish to post an extra $10,000 on the MSRP as long as I'm a forum sponsor here!!!
If they are over, and yours are not, I am coming to see you. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts