Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I like to say I love the 2010 Camaro, looks great!!
I was just curious of what other people thought of the back bumper,
particuly the back up lights in middle of bumper.
I would have like to seen the lights incorporated into maybe the brake lights,
like maybe in the middle of the inside brake lights.
I noticed the concept didn't have the reverse lights in bumper and it makes the rear look a lot cleaner!!
Just wondering if I am the only who thinks this???

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Not alone. In fact, most people thought they were going to move them, and that they were just there for the pre-production cars until they got the lights finished.

Worst part is, they haven't really given us a reason as to WHY they are in the middle of nowhere like that. Safety Regs? Cost? Convenience?

I was hoping for either being in the taillights, down below in the rear diffuser, or even vertical on each side of the license plate (although this wouldn't work internationally).

·
Registered
41 Posts
There was a pretty good explanation on one of the sites by a member of the Camaro team. (Although still no real details because of confidentiality) IIRC it went something like...
They were down low, like in the concept, but engineering said that was too close to the exhaust.
So they moved them up near the brake lights, but the DOT said they did meet the angle requirements.
So they moved them down by the licenses plate, but they couldn't go there because of export regulations.
By then they didn't have time to mess around any more and stuck them where they met all the requirements, whether it looked great or not.

If it makes you feel any better the first gen RSs had their reverse lights in that area... so its a "heritage cue."

·
Registered
318 Posts
I believe fbodfather mentioned Federal regulations and a hazard if they were placed directly above the exhaust as seen in concepts. I inquired why in the hell they were not placed near the license plate...kinda similar to the Ford Crown Vic (just not as big and bulky)...apparently that doesn't meet regulations in Australia....yea, that was fantastic to hear.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There was a pretty good explanation on one of the sites by a member of the Camaro team. (Although still no real details because of confidentiality) IIRC it went something like...
They were down low, like in the concept, but engineering said that was too close to the exhaust.
So they moved them up near the brake lights, but the DOT said they did meet the angle requirements.
So they moved them down by the licenses plate, but they couldn't go there because of export regulations.
By then they didn't have time to mess around any more and stuck them where they met all the requirements, whether it looked great or not.

If it makes you feel any better the first gen RSs had their reverse lights in that area... so its a "heritage cue."
I don't believe the angle issue for the break lamps. Although I really like the afterburners and would RATHER have those over displacement of the reverse lamps....

But you have the crown vic which has the rears less than a foot apart in the middle, and the (I believe it is Mazdas) that have their reverse lamps incorporated directly inside the tail lamps...so I call foul on that. I just wish they could have been installed to the right and left of the license plate...make them LED if you have to, and they will have ample lighting.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Why are there federal regulations on revers lights anyways? If you are backing your car up, it's your responsibility to do it safely, not the lights' responsibility to tell everyone you are backing up. Seriously? Do we have to have restrictive rules for EVERYTHING these days? Can't common sense be used every now and then?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Why are there federal regulations on revers lights anyways? If you are backing your car up, it's your responsibility to do it safely, not the lights' responsibility to tell everyone you are backing up. Seriously? Do we have to have restrictive rules for EVERYTHING these days? Can't common sense be used every now and then?
Not as bad as when in the 80's when there were fed rules that speedos couldn't read over 85mph..and cars had to have a certain ride height..plus other things (that helped kill the Delorean ;)).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
What the hell is 'Komun Since' anyway?:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
First I like to say I love the 2010 Camaro, looks great!!
I was just curious of what other people thought of the back bumper,
particuly the back up lights in middle of bumper.
I would have like to seen the lights incorporated into maybe the brake lights,
like maybe in the middle of the inside brake lights.
I noticed the concept didn't have the reverse lights in bumper and it makes the rear look a lot cleaner!!
Just wondering if I am the only who thinks this???

Jimmy
Not alone - I thought the exact same thing since the first picture I was hoping it was just a prototype thing, but alas no.
Oh well small flaw.
Mind you could have put them,
-just above the blacked out rear diffuser
-middle of one of the taillights
-between rear lights
-under one of them
-either side of number plate
-beside exhaust -on inside(could have used the same lens as Corvette, just on the opposite side & inside exhaust instead of out)

But a bland little rectangle just stuck in a random area of the bumper will do the trick. :lol:

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I was hoping the backup lights would be more like the Corvette's:

I agree. Give it a few years and it'll be fixed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unfourtunatley the regulations on back-up lights are getting a little crazy.

There are new regulations that require a certain area behind the car to be illuminated by the back-up lights. This makes it hard to move the lights as low as the 'vette.

Then there is a new set of regulations that stipulate that even after a low speed crash, the backup lights must still work AND must still illuminate that same area behind the car..This also makes putting the laps low down hard - bcause that area is usually the first contact point when tested for the low speed crash.

The backup lights are actually very bright LEDs..You'll love these back-up lights when you are reversing out of a tight garage at night - they'll work really well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfourtunatley the regulations on back-up lights are getting a little crazy.

There are new regulations that require a certain area behind the car to be illuminated by the back-up lights. This makes it hard to move the lights as low as the 'vette.

Then there is a new set of regulations that stipulate that even after a low speed crash, the backup lights must still work AND must still illuminate that same area behind the car..This also makes putting the laps low down hard - bcause that area is usually the first contact point when tested for the low speed crash.

The backup lights are actually very bright LEDs..You'll love these back-up lights when you are reversing out of a tight garage at night - they'll work really well.
Thanks for the info,
Sounds like we have a lot of regulations these days.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
You'll love these back-up lights when you are reversing out of a tight garage at night - they'll work really well.
But I always back IN to my garage.... :D

Time to bash the regulations.... seriously? The reverse lights have to work after an accident? That's nuts. Anyways, the bast idea would have been an inset light in the inside rear brake light, IMO.

But really, if this is one of the biggest complaints we have with the design of the car, that's not bad. Besides, it's really only Mustangs and Challengers that will notice the reverse light placement.... :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I like the lights, I really have no problem with them at all. They are smaller than the Vette's which I like, and it sounds like they'll be plenty bright enough.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I just had an idea.....what about getting that perforated vinyl like they decorate buses with in body color and apply it to the reverse lights. It won't look as bad and is a nice cost effective alternative to filling the bumper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts