Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Tahoe LT with the Z motor my question is this, What is the rear plate and how does it relate to the rear main seal? The last time i took it in for an oil change they came back and told me that the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and rear plate gasket needs to be re placed. I look in the Chilton manual and could not find a rear plate. please send me a pm if you have the answer.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I've never heard of a "rear plate" on a motor.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
me either and i didnt see anything in the Chiltons book about it, i am trying to figure out if the dealer is trying to take advantage of me or what, the book the rear main seal and rear plat at 8.5 and the pan at 2.5, my warranty covers the rear seal and pan gasket but nether of us (myself or the service manager) knew what a rear plate was.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
i took my dads truck in to get a $10 oil change at the dealer. he comes back and says the throtle body needs cleaning because there is carbon build up around the throttle plate. i asked, how long and how much? he says about 2.5 hours and $175 :eek:

i said, what kinda highway robbery is that? do i look like someone who doesn't know crap about cars? i'll take my $10 oil change and spend 5 minutes at home with a toothbrush and carb cleaner to clean the throttle body myself! :facepalm:

sometimes it is better to get a second opinion

·
Registered
589 Posts
There is a rear engine cover ( I guess they could call it a plate) thats very similar to the timing chain cover. That holds your rear main seal and bolts to the back of the oil pan.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a rear engine cover ( I guess they could call it a plate) thats very similar to the timing chain cover. That holds your rear main seal and bolts to the back of the oil pan.
that's what i was thinking but i didn't see anything in the service manual from Chiltons about something like that. I personally think they don't check every thing that they say they do, i mean really they couldn't have told or seen at the last oil change that it was leaking. The leak is not bad but it is wet all around the pan, i manged to crawl under there my self and see that it does need to be replaced.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Wouldn't you have to remove the bellhousing to see that? Also, is there a gasket between the block and the bellhousing? If so, thats what I think they are talking about.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wouldn't you have to remove the bellhousing to see that? Also, is there a gasket between the block and the bellhousing? If so, thats what I think they are talking about.
Yes, you would have to remove the trans to repair it. You might be able to see it through an inspection hole. The leak is kind of hard to miss because the bottom of the trans/oil pan will be wet, but nothing further up is wet.
(Like coming down from the valve cover of valley pan.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts