Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the automatic Camaro is said to have 3.23's and the Manual is going to have 3.42's

IS there any chance like in year 2 we will be able to get maybe 3.73's or something other than the 2 listed above ?

All I know so far that will be offered different in the 2nd year will be HUD.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Those are nice gears, Mason. Why so gloomy? Crap, I couldn't stand the 2.82 gears in the stock RT rear so I switched to the entire 3.06 SRT differential, driveshaft and halfshafts. Big improvement, so the idea of 3.27's is great for me.:cool:

·
8,984 Posts
Aftermarket, here we come.....

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Don't forget that 1st gear is super low expecially in the auto.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
whats the difference between an auto and manual in 1st gear ?

Can you add a posi or locker to a IRS setup ?
1st gear in A6 is 4.03 and 3.01 in M6...although not really sure how that compares to other tranny's.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dam 4.03 :eek: not bad im suprised manual only has a 3.01 oh well I guess its all in the driver there on how they launch it and etc.

thanks

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Those are nice gears, Mason. Why so gloomy? Crap, I couldn't stand the 2.82 gears in the stock RT rear so I switched to the entire 3.06 SRT differential, driveshaft and halfshafts. Big improvement, so the idea of 3.27's is great for me.:cool:
I ran 4.10's in my SS. The auto guys run 3.73. In the 5th gen, I wouldn't run anything higher (numerically lower) than a 3.90 due to the heft.

Can you add a posi or locker to a IRS setup ?
Limited Slip is "Posi-traction".

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3.90's are a perfect gear especially for a Automatic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's gives you a little better highway driving than a 3.73 but it gives you more of a 4.10 without robbing you of Gas !!!!!!!

I have used a 3.90 with a DL inside of a 12bolt with a Beefed up 4L60E and not many 4.10's hung with me off the line. Thats one reason im going to miss the solid rear axle however after talking to a few they say I wont miss the SRA and that the IRS will be just fine.

I know 3.23's are a good gear as many say and 1st gear is low like a 4.02 but im probably going to be doing some homework just as I did last time and change out.

I am so used to driving Daily on a DL its going to be weird not having one.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
3.90's are a perfect gear especially for a Automatic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's gives you a little better highway driving than a 3.73 but it gives you more of a 4.10 without robbing you of Gas !!!!!!!

I have used a 3.90 with a DL inside of a 12bolt with a Beefed up 4L60E and not many 4.10's hung with me off the line.
Actually, the numerically lower gears are more suitable for highway driving, whereas the numerically higher gears are better for off the line acceleration. Guys, keep in mind what Brandon stated about the very low 1st gear ratio on the A6....it makes a huge difference on the bottom end! The first gear in my Magnum is a 3.58 and at 4350 lbs, it can 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. So with the lighter Camaros and lower tranny 1st gear, they will be very quick off the line.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Actually, the numerically lower gears are more suitable for highway driving, whereas the numerically higher gears are better for off the line acceleration. Guys, keep in mind what Brandon stated about the very low 1st gear ratio on the A6....it makes a huge difference on the bottom end! The first gear in my Magnum is a 3.58 and at 4350 lbs, it can 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. So with the lighter Camaros and lower tranny 1st gear, they will be very quick off the line.
So, what you're trying to convey is low gears and sticky tires = even better combo :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
all I have to say is reguardless of which trans and ratio you get the cammy is going to be quick:patriot:
but for me rear gears is going to be part of stage 2 or 3

Stage 1:
CAI,Chip and tune
Exhaust(magnaflow or flowmasters or even gm depends on how they all sound)
Long Tube headers
Magnacharger
perhaps a 50or 100 shot of Nitrous Oxide

Stage 2 Option A
Stroker Kit
Lower compression pistons (9.5 or 8.0:1)
Connecting Rods
3.90 or 4.10 or 4.56:1 rears(yeah i'm thinking that)
Lenco auto

Stage 2 Option B
LS9(ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW)
4.56:1 Rears
Lenco Auto

Stage 3(I'M NOT TELLING):lol::rotflmao:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
in the auto if it had 3.42 rear gears it would be like having 4.00 rear gears in a 4th gen auto, but still have more top end because of the high top gears.

So i you put 3.90 gears in the 5thgen it would be like putting 5.50 rear gears in the 4th gen for first gear.

You can calculate it here: http://www.f-body.org/gears/

I didn't compensate for the taller tire on the 5th gen, but its still close.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmmmmmm Brandon why did you have to go do that ? You got me thinking again rubbing my head wondering lol This was so much easier with the 4th gen :lol:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts