Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's a 10 bolt like on the corvette right?
or am i way off about the camaro and corvette

i know the 4th gens have 10 bolt and the c5's have 10 bolts too, even though they have irs, so i figured the current corvettes still have it

i don't know a whole lot about types rearends, besides how they work

figured i never would need to as i never planned on putting that much power through my drivetrain

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
the SS rear is 3.45 (M6) and 3.27 (A6). All the V6's have 3.27's.

as far as being a 10bolt...I dunno. I'm sure it's the same as whatever is in the G8's.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
a corvette rear end is nothing like the rear thats gonna be in the camaro in fact the vette rears are kinda unique to corvettes except the inards.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
A few of my friends were talking earlier today and it made me Wonder what the Camaro is going to be like acceleration in a straight line compared to a mustang or anything lets say with a live axle ?

Live Axles always put more power to the ground better.
IRS rearends take the corners/curves better !!!!!!

I know GM built this car thinking better for everyday driving but there will
be the people who want to drive it daily and play with it in a straight line
is there anything they can do to an IRS car to help it in a straight line
compared to a live axle car ? I mean Live axle cars you do detroit lockers and so on.........

Or are those gearheads going to have to do a swap out from a IRS to a Live Axle ?

For everyday driving like most of us will be doing the IRS will be GREAT :D

·
8,984 Posts
These IRS are based on the D44 but different.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
A few of my friends were talking earlier today and it made me Wonder what the Camaro is going to be like acceleration in a straight line compared to a mustang or anything lets say with a live axle ?

Live Axles always put more power to the ground better.
IRS rearends take the corners/curves better !!!!!!

I know GM built this car thinking better for everyday driving but there will
be the people who want to drive it daily and play with it in a straight line
is there anything they can do to an IRS car to help it in a straight line
compared to a live axle car ? I mean Live axle cars you do detroit lockers and so on.........

Or are those gearheads going to have to do a swap out from a IRS to a Live Axle ?

For everyday driving like most of us will be doing the IRS will be GREAT :D

From what I have researched you can't get any positive anti squat out of an IRS. This is what presses the tires into the ground on launch which makes the car hook. You may notice the opposite on live axle cars that have been lowered too much. When they launch the wheels press up and come off the ground causing wheel hop because the car is falling on the rear. I think anti squat is NOT favorable in cornering, but is if you are going in a strait lin because you want max traction.

From what I have found the best you can get out an IRS for strait line is to have the rear just solid up upon lanch much like a go car would launch because the axle is mounted strait to the frame. Most IRSs will have wheel hop because the set up that will make it handle better will also cause it to have wheel hop. From what I have heard about the Zeta cars is they have figured out a way to help on the wheel hop, but I doubt the car will have any anti squat.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I understand that The drivetrain of this car comes from a country that thinks IRS is the way to go...most over sea's cars go in that direction.
IN the US imo we like the curves and speed however we also like good old fashion straight line running. Many have critisized the Gt500 for not having
IRS however in a straight line its fun as hell to drive they say.
I know from seeing it for myself you can take a solid or live axle as some call it and fix it to where it handles great at whatever you throw at it weather its in a straight line or curves. Yes with a IRS you may have better control of your car when it comes to driving hard through turns however im one who likes to go straight Fast but when I do go in the Curves I like to have control of the car to the point im doing some old fashion driving and using my own driving skills.

im just curious if there is anything out there that can be done to a new camaro as in strengthen the IRS in any way for straightline driving ?
OR am I basically waiting for someone to come out with the right rearend and switch it to a Solid axle.

Now im asking myself why they are not offering launch control for an Automatic ?

IF im not mistaking thats for taking away wheel hop !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I understand that The drivetrain of this car comes from a country that thinks IRS is the way to go...most over sea's cars go in that direction.
IN the US imo we like the curves and speed however we also like good old fashion straight line running. Many have critisized the Gt500 for not having
IRS however in a straight line its fun as hell to drive they say.
I know from seeing it for myself you can take a solid or live axle as some call it and fix it to where it handles great at whatever you throw at it weather its in a straight line or curves. Yes with a IRS you may have better control of your car when it comes to driving hard through turns however im one who likes to go straight Fast but when I do go in the Curves I like to have control of the car to the point im doing some old fashion driving and using my own driving skills.

im just curious if there is anything out there that can be done to a new camaro as in strengthen the IRS in any way for straightline driving ?
OR am I basically waiting for someone to come out with the right rearend and switch it to a Solid axle.

Now im asking myself why they are not offering launch control for an Automatic ?

IF im not mistaking thats for taking away wheel hop !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody here suggested traction control = launch control. I used to turn it off when launching. What do I know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
V8 will have a 8.6 rear and the V6 will have a smaller 7.6 rear end.

American Axel is building them I have heard.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I'm sure you could put an aftermarket solid axle of some kind in it, but it'll probably be pricey. Just a guess. If you're a serious drag racer, I would guess that you would, but I don't understand why you don't think you can have straightline fun in the Camaro with IRS. My friends SRT8 has IRS and it's a piss of a lot of fun in a straight line.

·
8,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Fix it like they do the GTO's throw some drag bags in and go. They do make a modified 9" IRS for GTO's but the price was insane.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts