Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

First time poster, long time lurker here... Planning to order a car pretty soon and noticed on spasticsquirrel exterior color filter a designation for "red jewel tintcoat" and a separate one for "red jewel tintcoat - premium paint"...

What does that mean?? Are there really two specs for RJT??

I can't decide between a V6 or a V8. For some reason that I can't really figure out, I'm leaning towards inferno orange with black rally stripes if a V6, but the red jewel tint if a V8...

The conservative "middle-aged guy" in me is leaning towards V6, but the "live a little" gremlin on my shoulder, (plus all my buddies and two bosses) are all whispering "V8"!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks,
Howard

·
Registered
731 Posts
look at the long run are you gonna be putting a lot ofmoney into the v-6 to make more hp cause if you are you'll just be getting as much as a slightly modded V-8 its your choice though. Oh and welcome to the forums

·
Registered
402 Posts
Howard,

Welcome! If I am not mistaken their is only one RJT for the Camaro and it is the Premium tintcoat color. It is available at an additional charge (compared to the other colors), and not available on the LS. In regard to the V6 vs. V8 question. CamaroSS/RS summed it up nicely. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of the car. 400-426hp V8, or 304hp V6. 16/24 mpg V8, or 17/29mpg V6. I would think that insurance would be cheaper on the V6 as well. I tend to lean toward the notion that you can never have too much power; so for me it's an SS all the way. Go by you local dealership(s), and test drive both of them. Good luck on your decision! ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is my opinion only no offense intended but I saw a IOM car the other day and the paint looks like pumpkin when the sun is not out and its getting dark out looked really ugly the owner even said to me he didn't like that about it I would go for the red myself I have a SIM

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi All -

First time poster, long time lurker here... Planning to order a car pretty soon and noticed on spasticsquirrel exterior color filter a designation for "red jewel tintcoat" and a separate one for "red jewel tintcoat - premium paint"...

What does that mean?? Are there really two specs for RJT??

I can't decide between a V6 or a V8. For some reason that I can't really figure out, I'm leaning towards inferno orange with black rally stripes if a V6, but the red jewel tint if a V8...

The conservative "middle-aged guy" in me is leaning towards V6, but the "live a little" gremlin on my shoulder, (plus all my buddies and two bosses) are all whispering "V8"!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks,
Howard
Get yourself a Red Jewel V8.
:D

I can't tell you how close I came to getting black. The RJT is one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen in the sun, and at dusk, it's plum gorgeous. ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dude, You are gonna freak, When you see the RJT in the sun. If you haven't actually seen the red jewel tintcoat in the sun. Whoo!. Picture this... Do you remember candy apple red. The RJT is a candy cherry red with a fine metalic base and a lot of clear coat finish. Absolutely Freak'in Beautiful.
You made a fine choice in colors. I purchased SS2/RJT w/Black Stripes, 6sp Man., 20" Polished Rims. I questioned my choice of colors when I started seeing terrible pictures of the RJT on the internet. But after taking delivery. I come to realize the pictures do not capture the real color tone of the Red Jewel Tintcoat. Dude, I get stopped all the time. I mean, all the time. No matter where I go. People taking pictures, People wanting to check the car out. The biggest kick I get, is the face of some poor dude in his Mustang when he notices his girl is check'in my camaro ss2 out! Whoo You'll have to get use to the extra new attention you will receive. Sorry, dude. Its the car. :rock5thvert:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome Howie

:confused: If you haven't already, you should go to chevy site and build yourself one. :thumbsup: I bought a beautiful 2LT/RS RJT and I couldn't be happier with it. For me, it was a matter of beauty and economics. Kudos to all those SS buyers out there and I'm glad y'all could afford them. :cool:

After all, how often do you get the chance to open it up? Whatever you do, you can't go wrong with a Camaro. :5go:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the comments!

Not so much upfront cost as much as if gasoline goes back to $4/gallon on the V6/V8 issue.

I know what you mean about looking different in different lighting conditions, SilverRocket, but that IOM sure makes up for poor showing in the dark with GORGEOUS in full sunlight! ;)

I've only been able to catch a glimpse of one RJT on the interstate, but it was sure pretty!

I went by the local Chevy house today - and the guy told me he'd take my order for $1000 over MSRP, but he had NO IDEA when I'd get it!! He wouldn't even make a rough guess between 3 months or 6 months! Is it really that unpredictable on how long it will take??? Or does he just not give a flip about making a sale???

Here are a couple of pics I took of an IOM in Phoenix:

·
Registered
41 Posts
pleeze. To bad there are so many retarded sales people.
i ordered mine well under MSRP. Don't let yourself get played.
There is always another dealer.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It seems to me that the salesperson doesn't know if he has any allocation now or if he's going to be getting any soon.

If he asks the person who actually does the ordering there at the dealership he can find out allocation. If he has allocation and can order your car right away then it should be there within 6-8 weeks or so.

I recommend that you call one of the moderncamaro.com sponsor dealerships.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go with the V8 for sure. The RJT is worth the extra $$$ as well. I love mine. I was originally going to order SIM, but when I saw RJT in person I was convinced that was the color for me. It is such a "deep" color. In the sun, it is absolutely amazing. You won't be disappointed. ;) But don't pay over MSRP!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll tell you the V8 is a Beast. I am very happy that I went 2SS instead of 1SS. The 2SS lives up to it, you ask for more power, it gives it to you. I say, go for 2SS.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for all the comments!

Not so much upfront cost as much as if gasoline goes back to $4/gallon on the V6/V8 issue.

I know what you mean about looking different in different lighting conditions, SilverRocket, but that IOM sure makes up for poor showing in the dark with GORGEOUS in full sunlight! ;)

I've only been able to catch a glimpse of one RJT on the interstate, but it was sure pretty!

I went by the local Chevy house today - and the guy told me he'd take my order for $1000 over MSRP, but he had NO IDEA when I'd get it!! He wouldn't even make a rough guess between 3 months or 6 months! Is it really that unpredictable on how long it will take??? Or does he just not give a flip about making a sale???
First off, the average difference in TOTAL gas cost over a year V6/V8 is only around $700 using 12k a year at 23 and 17 mpg respectively at $4/gal. If that's going to break you, you probably can't really afford the V8 to begin with.

Now, back to the original question. I had the same issue with ordering RJT without ever having seen it in person. When I actually first took delivery back in May it was the first time I had seen an RJT in person. I couldn't be happier. Talk about a "chameleon" color... It's 50 different shades of red at the same time in the sunlight depending on what part of the car is at what angle to the sun. Absolutely gorgeous. My opinion obviously is that you can't go wrong with ordering it. Yes, there is only one RJT. When spastic squirrel was set up, it just originally had all the colors then later, differentiated RJT as a premium color, and still later, the same with IOM when they raised the price (premium paint) on it.

My advice on a dealer? Call Eric at Classic in Grapevine, TX (sponsor here). Really not that far from you, straight shooter, and will always give you the real deal on his allocation and your time for delivery.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I'll have allocation in about 2-3 weeks to submit an order. After driving both, I would HAVE to have a V8.

Airfare to Milwaukee, about $240 :) MSRP OR LESS

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'll have allocation in about 2-3 weeks to submit an order. After driving both, I would HAVE to have a V8.

Airfare to Milwaukee, about $240 :) MSRP OR LESS
^^^

Not a bad option either and another straight shooting sponsor. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts