Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
The resonators shouldn't take any HP away from the car since it doesn't (or shouldn't) restrict air flow. They are simply there to reduce or change the exhaust note.

GM spent a lot of man hours and focus groups specifically on the sound of the factory exhaust looking for the "perfect exhaust note".

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's RESONATORS, and the purpose of them is to allow the car not to shake to death at certain RPMs. If you run a free exhaust, your car will resonate at certain RPMs due to sound frequency, the resonation will cause the car to shake.

I have no mufflers on my vette, but still have cats, and if I'm in 6th gear at 50-60mph the exhaust puts out a frequency that will rattle the vette.

·
Registered
136 Posts
resonator

n. (rěz'o-nā'tor)

acoustical device for reinforcing sound, as the sounding board of a piano, the "belly" of a stringed instrument, the air mass of an organ pipe, and the throat, nose, and mouth cavities of a vocal animal. In addition to augmenting acoustic power, resonators may also, by altering relative intensities of overtones, change the quality of a tone.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Resignators cause others to RESIGN.

Resonators change your exhaust tone.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
It's RESONATORS, and the purpose of them is to allow the car not to shake to death at certain RPMs. If you run a free exhaust, your car will resonate at certain RPMs due to sound frequency, the resonation will cause the car to shake.

I have no mufflers on my vette, but still have cats, and if I'm in 6th gear at 50-60mph the exhaust puts out a frequency that will rattle the vette.
All other posts probably should have stopped with this one. Perfect explanation.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
:D .

·
Registered
53 Posts
All other posts probably should have stopped with this one. Perfect explanation.
Well possibly, but resonators are also - and probably more often - used to address a specific characteristic of the exhaust note or compliment the mufflers. They are generally straight through design and intended to change the exhaust through reflection.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok the huge things on the back just before the tailpipe (that I replaced with Magna Flows), are they resonators or mufflers? :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts