Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals...question.

I just bought a used 2010 SS A6. The guy that owned it removed the stock mufflers and I believe it is the resonator. It looks like its just straight pipes going back now. So as you can imagine, it's loud. He gave me what he had removed so i have the stock stuff. I can't really afford to by a nice catback system like I really want right now. I would really prefer to go back to the stock setup until I can. So my question is what should be a fair price for a local shop to put the stock stuff back on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I took some shots of what he gave me. I'm wondering if how he cut the one piece(resonator I think) off is a concern? He cut it really close. I tried to get a shot of under the car from the back. Kinda hard but, hopefully it gives you an idea off whats there.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As anyone with the L99 and any kind of exhaust mod has pointed out, the afm is sounds really bad when it kicks in. With that being said, I have to assume that the stock setup is tuned so to speak to handle that. Is it the entire combination of the mufflers and resonator that help with this is is it really one or the other?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The resonator cant be used again,he cut it a little close.Your only option is to reinstall the mufflers or buy an axle back exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm no expert but, I had a feeling that he did cut that too close. Well, I suppose an axle back would be cheaper than a catback system. I know everybody has there preference in the exhaust area. I just want something that is a little louder than stock but, my budget right now is a little tight. I guess I'll have to save up on this one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check around and see how much it would be to have the stock mufflers installed,I cant see it being more than $100 bucks for just that.A good muffler shop should be able to cut and weld the old mufflers or cut,expand the pipe and clamp.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
an axle-back is gonna be loud because you're resonators are off....that said, even a cat-back is loud when the AFM kicks in.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Mine sounds fine 100% stock. Get the exhaust fixed and you'll be fine. Chevrolet spent major time and $$$ getting the exhaust note just right with no nasty harsh harmonics. They did a great job.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The resonator cant be used again,he cut it a little close.Your only option is to reinstall the mufflers or buy an axle back exhaust.
Sorry to say but, a good welder/exhaust shop CAN put your resonator back in. They shouldn't charge you more than $100-$150 to do both. I would do it for you if I lived closer. I might even do it for free just to help a fellow Camaro owner out!:p
Randy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to say but, a good welder/exhaust shop CAN put your resonator back in. They shouldn't charge you more than $100-$150 to do both. I would do it for you if I lived closer. I might even do it for free just to help a fellow Camaro owner out!:p
Randy
Thanks my friend!

I think for now I will follow the advice and look into having them put back on. Hopefully I'll find someone local that can do a good job.

thanks everyone. This forum is awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
As anyone with the L99 and any kind of exhaust mod has pointed out, the afm is sounds really bad when it kicks in. With that being said, I have to assume that the stock setup is tuned so to speak to handle that. Is it the entire combination of the mufflers and resonator that help with this is is it really one or the other?
Use M mode and tapshift it, mine NEVER came on while driving this way. :thumbsup:

You can use a Diablo Predator to turn off AFM (DOD in their menu) as well. They run around 275.00...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Use M mode and tapshift it, mine NEVER came on while driving this way. :thumbsup:

You can use a Diablo Predator to turn off AFM (DOD in their menu) as well. They run around 275.00...

I like the idea about getting a handheld tuner to disable the AFM. As far as the tune itself, I see these things come with tunes for different octane for example, 93, would using one of those tunes make a big difference in the tone of the exhuast in general? Obviously, disabling the AFM would help.

I mean don't get me wrong, I want this thing to sound like it's got some balls to it!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I like the idea about getting a handheld tuner to disable the AFM. As far as the tune itself, I see these things come with tunes for different octane for example, 93, would using one of those tunes make a big difference in the tone of the exhuast in general? Obviously, disabling the AFM would help.

I mean don't get me wrong, I want this thing to sound like it's got some balls to it!
If anything, I noticed the exhaust tone get more mellow (not so raspy) with the Diablo tune and the corresponding addition of fuel and timing. I could only use the 91 tune as that is all we get here in Kali! :(

It changed the most when I installed the DT shorties tho. Just beautiful. Then things changed drastically with the SC! :lol:

I am running the shorties, resonator and no muffs and it sounds perfect to me. YRMV...

·
Registered
89 Posts

Gator, I too have an A6. When I purchased the car, I had the GMPP axle back exhaust put on and I love how it sounds when I get on it. I left the stock resonator on and the first day driving it, I noticed AFM kicking in. It wasn't horrible but I could notice it and wanted it gone. I bought a Diablosport Predator, installed the Diablo Tune (93 octane tune), disabled AFM/DoD and haven't looked back! If you want your car to accelerate better and become even more fun than it already is, you won't be disappointed. Put it this way...before the tune, with traction control on from a dead stop, it wouldn't break lose. Not even a little bit. After the tune, with TC on from dead stop, it breaks loose! :D

As far as the stock equipment goes, I agree with others. A good shop should be able to re-install that resonator if you want to put it back on.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I have a 100% stock L99 and it breaks loose w/TC on from a dead stop, also when rolling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts