Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good question if I get the SS and all the goodies would the 21 inch wheels make the ride more comfortable? If I go the SS route I will be buying 21 wheels but if all four are 21"s i will trade the dealer for two 20" or two 19" tire. I think it will look ALOT! better so that is what I plan to do.

So back to the original question do rims help or hurt the ride comfort

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The bigger the rim, the less rubber there is to flex, and take bumps, so the harsher the ride. Even worse if it is run-flats, because they have to build up the side walls to handle the weight of the car if the tire pressure drops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
More important to me is the extra rotating mass of a larger wheel! My wife's Tahoe has aftermarket chrome 22's and we had to upgrade the brakes and suspension. More rotating mass = less bhp. I'll be happy with an aluminum wheel. Even my 3rd gen aluminum 16" IROCs are kinda piggy. Back on topic, you lose ride with a larger diameter wheel.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
If I go the SS route I will be buying 21 wheels but if all four are 21"s i will trade the dealer for two 20" or two 19" tire. I think it will look ALOT! better so that is what I plan to do.
not really sure what you mean here...I don't think the 21" rims are the same design, at least from those pix posted of parts available...but I'm sure you'd be able to get stock-replica rims in all sizes down the road.

If you are worried about ride comfort, stay with the 19's or 20's, I wouldn't bother with the 21's.

Even worse if it is run-flats, because they have to build up the side walls to handle the weight of the car if the tire pressure drops.

from what we've seen, they will not be run-flats

·
Registered
41 Posts
hmm interesting i think depending on my economical situation at that point ill be going with 20s in the rear 19s in front i would do 21s but they're more expensive for tires and now if they really are a less comfortable ride then nahh...we'll see i suppose but i do want that stance to be even more agressive

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
IMO 20's are BIG enough for the car if Anything Maybe a 19 or an 18 would be about right but if my Baby is coming with 20's then she will have 20's.

I want some rubber screw rubber bands.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
I am going to get some 13" Dayton's with so much offset that I got them SWANGERS...

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I am going to get some 13" Dayton's with so much offset that I got them SWANGERS...
Better get some curb feelers added on, then.... :D

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
My truck laughs at curbs.... :D

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good luck finding 21" rims, not many made and along with tires too.
If you put bigger rims you will also experience worse gas mileage not that
it might matter since it is a sports car, but now as days with gas so high
it makes a difference. I know I put 18" rims on my daily Impala and my mileage average dropped about 3 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Probably gets the same MPG, just needs to be recalibrated if your overall wheel size is bigger than the old ones. :p

When I got my s-10 it had oversized tires (p225s instead of p205s) and I only got like 12mpg..I put standard size tires on it and it goes up to 16 or so.
And it also throws your spedo and milemeter outta wack.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The diameter of the tire has to do with it.
If you don't put about the same size diameter of tire with throw off speedo unless you recalibrate it.
For instance the new SS tires are 275/20 and are 29" in diameter, if you put
18" with a tire that has only 27" diameter your speedo will be screwed up!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts